• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Final Fantasy XIII

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't mind it being linear. Linearity does not automatically make a game any less fun - that goes even for RPGs. Golden Sun for instance was pretty linear compared to most and I loved it. I'm not a fan of Square's recent character designs either (as I have stated in the past) but if the story delivers then I will likely be satisfied.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't mind it being linear. Linearity does not automatically make a game any less fun - that goes even for RPGs. Golden Sun for instance was pretty linear compared to most and I loved it. I'm not a fan of Square's recent character designs either (as I have stated in the past) but if the story delivers then I will likely be satisfied.

Looking forward to your review ;) I won't be able to play the game until this summer most likely, too many good games coming out and too little money (virtually broke since I don't have a job during the semester at school).

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I played about an hour last night. I find the dialogue and characters super fucking corny so far.

Like whenever the screen pans to any character they do some sort of moan, grunt, whine, or express some sort of verbal sigh or verbal showing of awe. It's like watching a 1970's kung-fu movie with ladyboys.

El Diablo

I was always under the impression that that was was how any video game or cartoon or movie that came out of Japan is. It looks stupid and annoying and I don't know why they always have characters actions like that.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
I played about an hour last night. I find the dialogue and characters super fucking corny so far.

Like whenever the screen pans to any character they do some sort of moan, grunt, whine, or express some sort of verbal sigh or verbal showing of awe. It's like watching a 1970's kung-fu movie with ladyboys.

Agreed

@El Diablo

Yeah, alot of the cartoons are like that.
This FF felt like it was aiming at people who watch cartoons and pay games from Japan.

Last FF game I bought was the remake on DS which I enjoyed.
I yet to see this one deliver the same type experience I enjoy.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
FFXIII Producer wants to prove western critics wrong by doing a FFXIII-2...

Oh the humanity... We know how the last one ended up...

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I was going to get this, but at the last minute decided my money would be better spent on God of War 3. Now reading this thread has made me confident I made the right choice.

I hope versus will be good even if it isn't turned based.

Scorned

Although I'll admit that besides the crappy voice acting, dramatic story for most of the main characters, and other assorted things, I am enjoying it.

However after this I might play FF9 or something to remember the good times.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
The combat system is by far my favorite part of the game. I'm coming up to the end of Chapter 9 and just got the ability to mix-and-match my party and make custom Paradigms.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The combat system is by far my favorite part of the game. I'm coming up to the end of Chapter 9 and just got the ability to mix-and-match my party and make custom Paradigms.

Just started chapter 5 here and I really like the combat system too. Took awhile to get used as the mechanics are a bit daunting at first. But once you get a handle on it, it's by far the best battle system to grace an FF title yet. The paradigm system offers up so many possibilities. Also glad they got rid of level grinding this time around.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
The grinding is still there, at least it is for me in the form of the Crystarium. I've run back through a few times after saving just to pick up extra CP. At the start of Chapter 10 you unlock every role for every character and 1000 CP barely makes it to the next node.

So if you want to really open up the Paradigm system, I think you need to invest some time in grinding a bit. You can make some cool setups for battles like having 3 medics to quick heal without losing a Stagger or having three people buff the shit out of each other at the start of a battle and then crush everything.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The grinding is still there, at least it is for me in the form of the Crystarium. I've run back through a few times after saving just to pick up extra CP. At the start of Chapter 10 you unlock every role for every character and 1000 CP barely makes it to the next node.

So if you want to really open up the Paradigm system, I think you need to invest some time in grinding a bit. You can make some cool setups for battles like having 3 medics to quick heal without losing a Stagger or having three people buff the shit out of each other at the start of a battle and then crush everything.

That's true. So far I've had ample supply of CP without grinding, but then again I'm not that far yet. Still in other FFs grinding almost felt like a necessity at times to get past certain points. Haven't felt that way with this one yet.

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo

I'm in chapter 4 and I can go into paradigms and click customize to change them about. Is what you're talking about different?

When i first got to use the Crytarium with Hope I had over 1000 CP, it got so far but now i can't imagine having to grind for CP, not yet but I can imagine grinding for weapon upgrade components. I just ulocked that feature and I think i've used them all without upgrading anything of snow's.

P.S, what level do Sazh's Vega's have to be before they hit * (star) level?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
His Vegas are at like 13 or 14 on my character and I think I have the Gladius for Lightning at like 12 as well.

El Diablo

I stopped at chapter 11 to do some grinding and farming and side missions and I have the Gladius for lightning at its * tier two level as well as fangs lance and vanilles staff. I had 400k CP saved up and spent it like an idiot and 30 minutes later there was a boss unlocking the rest of level 4 for me :(. I can't decide if I should move on past 11 yet or hang back for a little longer.

El Diablo

I fucking accidentally upgraded my Survivalist Catalog turning it into a Collectors Catalog and now I can't get another....fuck me.