• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi First Impressions: Dead Space 2

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
In about a month, the sequel to what I consider to be the revelation game of 2008 in the survival horror genre and in a way, revitalized the genre that was clearly stagnant since the Resident Evil saga moved away a little from the Horror part to move solely into the action genre (in which let's be honest, it was successful since RE5 was a pretty good game). The original Dead Space on the other hand, brought back that feeling I had back when I was a kid playing the original Resident Evil games. It was dark, it made you think your every move, every bullet that you wasted, every upgrade that you made and above all else, you feared what horror could lurk in the dark and try to get you next. But let's move on as I give you my thoughts on Dead Space 2 demo that was released worldwide this week.

Plot

Unfortunately I wasn't able to gather much plotwise as the game didn't let much out, but I'll talk about what I was actually able to make out. It's been about a year since the events of the original Dead Space and Isaac has been in cryostasis on "The Sprawl" a colony built on a moon of Saturn. However it seems that Isaac wasn't the only thing was recovered from the escape ship (this is my assumption here) and a new necromorph outbreak begins on The Sprawl. Isaac, unlucky as he seems to be, is awoken from his sleep to help fight this outbreak. The game does not set you at the beginning of the game unfortunately, but as in the original Dead Space, Isaac has entered contact with other survivors and is doing something to help them.

Gameplay

Not much has changed from the original game and that's a good thing. The controls are as intuitive as they've ever been and if you played the original game, you'll have no problems playing this at all, but new players need not be afraid as the control scheme is very simple and easy to get used to. The most notable change I was able to see (and gladly) was the inclusion of a "float" mode when you're in Zero Gravity atmosphere, that is, if you press L3 Isaac will get of the ground and start floating around in the void. Pretty cool stuff. Another change that this game makes is giving Isaac a voice. At first I didn't even understand it was Isaac speaking since I was used to the silent protagonist thing from the first game, but I'm glad that Visceral opted to give a voice to the protagonist since I believe it will better the quality of the narrative taking place.

Conclusion

This demo is the demo that was shown at E3 earlier this year and ends at the exact same spot as the footage from back then do, meaning you get to fight some incredibly ugly and huge necromorph and you kill a few new necromorph "children" that are fast as hell, as well as some old-school necromorphs that are going for your limbs. The demo just made me want more, and I expect that to be fulfilled when the game comes out 28 January 2011 (in the EU) and I highly recommend playing the first one again in preparation for one more stroll through madness.

ilyace

I'd read the review if I could get past the first line. You seem to be really good at gathering info while playing games but my god, writing just isn't your strong suit.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'd read the review if I could get past the first line. You seem to be really good at gathering info while playing games but my god, writing just isn't your strong suit.

I already apologized to Frozen about this since I sent it for review on the frontpage, but I've been going through a rough bunch, but I still wanted to contribute however I could. Since I've done better than this, and I know I can do better, I decided to post this on the forums and FrozenIpaq's doing his own re-write, and I'm just going to go back to the drawing board and really focus so hopefully I can release a Retro Review on Chrono Cross before the end of the week.

Thanks for the constructive criticism though.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

Challenge: read the write-up and give us your impression of it ;) I'm trying to help Kez out by giving a break-down of do's and dont's (you may disagree with my qualifications) in his writing. We appreciate any member who takes the initiative to give us a detailed write-up of their impressions.

ilyace

In about a month, the sequel to what I consider to be the revelation game of 2008 in the survival horror genre and in a way, revitalized the genre that was clearly stagnant since the Resident Evil saga moved away a little from the Horror part to move solely into the action genre [in which let's be honest, it was successful since RE5 was a pretty good game.] I thought this sentence would never end. Use periods man. The original Dead Space on the other hand, brought back that feeling I had back when I was a kid playing the original Resident Evil games. It was dark, it made you think [about?] your every move, every bullet that you wasted, every upgrade that you made and above all else, you feared what horror could lurk in the dark and try to get you next. Another irritating run-on. But let's move on as I give you my thoughts on [the] Dead Space 2 demo that was released worldwide this week.

Plot

Unfortunately I wasn't able to gather much plotwise as the game didn't let much out [Just end the sentence right there, the second is part self-explanatory], but I'll talk about what I was actually able to make out. It's been about a year since the events of the original Dead Space and [since] Isaac has been in cryostasis on "The Sprawl" [-] a colony built on a moon of Saturn. However it seems that Isaac wasn't the only thing [that] was recovered from the escape ship (this is my assumption here) [The info in the parentheses is kinda irrelevant] and a new necromorph outbreak begins on The Sprawl. Isaac, unlucky as he seems to be, is awoken from his sleep to help fight this outbreak. [Unfortunately]The game does not set you at the beginning of the game [STRIKE]unfortunately[/STRIKE], but as in the original Dead Space, Isaac has [STRIKE]entered[/STRIKE] made contact with other survivors and [STRIKE]is doing[/STRIKE] does something to help them.

Gameplay

Not much has changed from the original game and that's a good thing. The controls are as intuitive as they've ever been and if you played the original game, you'll have no problems playing this at all, [End the sentence here] [STRIKE]but new[/STRIKE] [New] players need not be afraid as the control scheme is very simple and easy to get used to. The most notable change I was able to see (and gladly) [Get rid of the parentheses] was the inclusion of a "float" mode when you're in Zero Gravity atmosphere, that is, if you press L3 [Platform specific?] Isaac will get of the ground and start floating around in the void. Pretty cool stuff. Another change that this game makes is giving Isaac a voice. At first I didn't even understand it was Isaac speaking since I was used to the silent protagonist thing [I've always learned to stay away from the word "thing" when writing] from the first game, but I'm glad that Visceral opted to give a voice to the protagonist since I believe it will better the quality of the narrative taking place.

Conclusion

[STRIKE]This demo is the demo[/STRIKE] [Replace with: This was the demo...] that was shown at E3 earlier this year and ends at the exact same spot as the footage from back then do, meaning you get to fight some incredibly ugly and huge necromorph and you kill a few new necromorph "children" that are fast as hell, as well as some old-school necromorphs that are going for your limbs.[All that is kinda garbage imo, doesn't seem like something you'd put in an interview.] The demo just made me want more, and I expect that to be fulfilled when the game comes out 28 January 2011 (in the EU) and I highly recommend playing the first one again in preparation for one more stroll through madness.

Mostly grammatical fixes, there's a lot you could do with the vocabulary used, and structure of the review.

Chathurga

Fusing Ipaq and Kerza's writing styles will surely produce some surrealist works of art, I look forward to them.

"As I took the controller to reiterate the game, I glanced upon it's deficiencies before long as, I reiterated the game."

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Fusing Ipaq and Kerza's writing styles will surely produce some surrealist works of art, I look forward to them.

"As I took the controller to reiterate the game, I glanced upon it's deficiencies before long as, I reiterated the game."

Where have you been! A bot was just talking about you...

I would also like to reiterate that some help is better than no help

Serideth

Where have you been! A bot was just talking about you...

I would also like to reiterate that some help is better than no help

Self-Help-Revolver-BW.jpg