• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Forum rules

Roe

What does anybody think of the idea of a message coming up when a person who is posting for the first time that say's something like they can't post until the forum rules have been read or something like that. I just thought it would be a good idea seeing as there has been a good few threads about people wanting to know whats wrong with their downloaded iso's and stuff like that. So what does everyone else think?

karasuman

Sony's PS3 net service has a big EULA that you have to read before you can join. I scrolled to the bottom as quickly as possible and continued.

All this would accomplish is being able to say "well you were SUPPOSED to read those rules; ignorance is no excuse!" when someone broke them, and isn't that generally true, anyway? The people who are already responsible netizens will either look for rules on purpose or intuit them based on the rules they follow elsewhere. The people who are going to be a pain in the rear are going to do it regardless of whether you tell them to read the forum rules.

I think a better solution would be to make links to the rules more prominent: visible on every page, linked with a reminder during the sign-up process... sure, maybe even inserted into the sign-up process as something you "have to" read in order to post. It's not going to prevent anything, but it would make it easier for the well-meaning posters to figure out what they did wrong when someone slaps them around for breaking a rule.