• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

G15 keyboard not working correctly.

El Diablo

I posted this on the Logitech forums but no one has been able to help me and Logitech people don't seem to read or post on there so I figured I'd ask here.

Bassically if I leave my G15 keyboard plugged in when booting up my PC, the keys on the keyboard will not work. The PC will boot fine, everything on the keyboard will light up fine, the usb ports on it will even work fine if I plug in another device into it, however I can't type or use any keys. To get it to work I need to unplug the keyboard from its usb slot, then put it back in.

The weird thing however, is I have 2 G15s and one will work fine (can leave it plugged in 24/7) and the other will not work. My father bought one maybe 6 months before I bought mine (this was a while ago, they are blue G15s) and used it on his computer, then I bought one for myself later. Upon Windows 7 coming out I upgraded and my keyboard was working fine, however my LCD screen had broken so I was missing a key feature of my keyboard that I deeply missed. When my dad upgraded to Windows 7, his keyboard was not working (same problems I am having).

He gave me his keyboard and told me I could try getting it to work on my computer, seeing as I already had a G15 working fine on my computer (minus the LCD screen). Upon trying it in my computer, I had the same problems he was having (as stated above) despite my keyboard working perfectly fine. Since then I have tried everything I could think of or find suggestions to do to make it work, however this keyboard refuses to work correctly. I recently went to the support website and uninstalled my G15 drivers, then installed the windows 7 64 bit drivers since when I had originally installed them there was only one selection on the website, I wasn't sure if they were the proper drivers. I did this in hopes of finally getting this keyboard to work yet it is still causing problems.

Also, it is worth mentioning I think that after I reinstalled the new drivers and rebooted my pc with the non working keyboard in, the G15 programs and everything opened and loaded fine however on the taskbar I got a message "Installing device software (or drivers I don't remember)" but then it said it failed to install. When I opened the window for more information it only said unknown device.

I know as a last resort if I had to, I could try taking the keyboards apart and switching the entire LCD fixture from the working LCD, to the working keyboard however I know the keyboards can be quite delicate and do not want to attempt this unless absolutely neccesary.

Sorry for the wall of text, but if anyone could help me at all with any suggestions as to why one keyboard will work and the other will not, I would greatly appreciate it.

tl;dr
I have 2 G15 keyboards, one is my dads and one is mine, both rev1.

Mine- will boot up and work perfectly fine, however has a broken LCD screen so I can't use that part of my keyboard.

My dads- will boot up and look fine (working usb ports, lcd screen, lights etc etc) however no keys will respond until the keyboard is unplugged and replugged in again after boot up. What can be done to get it working properly?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Have you tried various USB ports? It sounds like it may be a defective keyboard, in which case, you should be able to contact Logitech support directly (either by e-mail or phone) and they might offer to replace it for you. If you can, try it on another Windows 7 computer (or another computer with another OS) and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it is the keyboard. If it doesn't then it is your computer or your specific USB ports/driver configuration. I've found Logitech support to be great (don't use the forums, they aren't as helpful) with my own products

El Diablo

Yea I've tried multiple USB ports on my computer. I mentioned in the post that the original reason for my dad giving me this one was because it did the same thing on his computer with Windows 7 (brand new just build too). I tried every usb port on that computer as well both when he got it trying to help him with it, and went back and tried it again when I was trying it on my computer. Also, it used to work fine on his computer when he was using windows xp, and I tried it on our laptop which is running Vista and works fine on that.

I'll try contacting Logitech support, I just think it's weird that mine works completely fine on Windows 7 normally, yet this one won't work unless it is removed and plugged back in after start up. Maybe if they replace it I can get a revision 2 one, one can hope.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah, by the sounds of it it is a hardware problem so you're only bet is to contact Logitech support directly

El Diablo

Ugh, these customer service things do nothing but piss me off. I explained the situation pretty god damn clearly in my email, used proper grammar and English and everything. I specify I have updated my drivers, bio, anything related to my computer that could be updated and have any affect on it. Their response? "The illuminated keyboard requires a lot of power to work correctly this can be solved by updating the bios for your computer which can be provided by your computer manufacturer." I respond saying that I have already tried updating everything multiple times, and how I even specified in my original email that I have another of the same keyboard that will work fine on it, and that this keyboard works fine on any other computer, EXCEPT for ones running windows 7. Their response "
I apologize for the inconvenience this issue is solve by updating the BIOS. You can check its functionality on other computer.".

I ALREADY FUCKING SAID I HAVE TESTED IT ON MULTIPLE OTHER COMPUTERS BOTH WITH WINDOWS FUCKING SEVEN AND WINDOWS VISTA AND XP. I ALSO ALREADY FUCKING SAID THE BIOS ARE COMPLETELY UP TO DATE.

Can they stop using their fucking automated bullshit responses and actually read every thing I fucking said, THEN respond based on my god damn problems. /rage

EvilSeph

Administrator
What exactly have you tried to get it working? The Logitech G15 is compatible with Windows 7 so I don't see why you're having issues with both keyboards.

El Diablo

Sigh....as I said multiple times it's only one of the 2 keyboards that doesn't work correctly. I have tried said keyboard on multiple computers with windows 7, even a brand new freshly built one with a fresh install of Windows and everything else and it does not work on it, yet the keyboard will work completely fine on any other windows OS. I have updated my bios, updated drivers, tried every single USB port on my computer and nothing I do will make it work correctly. I shouldn't have to get on my hands and knees and go behind my computer and unplug it everytime I turn my PC on so I have a keyboard that will work.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Let's try and not get frustrated here. The only reason I and other people are asking the same questions is because we need to be sure you've covered all the bases. Only once we're aware of every step you've tried can we decide what the next logical step would be.

What are the specs of your various systems? What edition(s) of Windows are you trying? What do you have plugged in to each system? You said you have two keyboards. Your one works but the LCD screen is broken - physically or on the software side? Have you tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and letting Windows 7 use its generic one? What's the result?

I don't have this keyboard myself but I have a few friends that do. I'm trying to get in contact with them. This is still looking like a hardware issue but I don't mind kicking ideas around to try if you don't.

El Diablo

The broken LCD on the other keyboard is a physical problem, I opened my keyboard one time to clean it and didn't realize how delicate it is and how it's connected and snapped a very thin ribbon cable that stopped it from working.

I have been trying it on one windows 7 ultimate, one windows 7 professional (both 64 bit), and windows vista 64 bit. Previously on MY computer I had windows xp 32 bit (both keyboards worked fine), windows vista 64 bit (both worked fine), and my dad had 32 bit windows xp on his and both worked fine.

On my computer I have a logitech usb microphone plugged in, and logitech g5 mouse, my wireless usb internet adapter, and a headset plugged into the usb port on the keyboard. My dads computer only has a usb mouse plugged into it, and the laptop with vista has nothing else plugged in. I have tried starting my computer with nothing plugged into the keyboard, and tried with nothing plugged into any other usb slots on the computer except a mouse.

On my computer I have 4 gigs of ram, phenom 9850 2.5 ghz processor, 700W power supply and some ASUS mobo. I don't know the specs on the laptop or my dads computer however my dads computer is significantly better, the laptop isn't quite close to my computer though.

I'm trying not to get frustrated but having it refusing to work for this long is extremely frustrating in itself, and trying to contact their customer support and just respond to me with questions and bullshit go to answers that I already answered in my original question just pissed me off and makes me think they don't even bother reading, especially when they answer my response to them with the same answer they did the first time, which I said in my response that I had already done.

EvilSeph

Administrator

El Diablo

Sorry, when I just use windows native drivers it does the same thing, only the LCD screen and what not don't work fully without their driver so it doesn't help :(.

EvilSeph

Administrator
What do you mean by "the same thing"?

When you say you've tried a fresh install, does that mean bare-bones (as little drivers as you can manage) with the Logitech G15 drivers? It's looking like this might be a driver conflict and I want to try and rule that out.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

When you say you've tried a fresh install, does that mean bare-bones (as little drivers as you can manage) with the Logitech G15 drivers? It's looking like this might be a driver conflict and I want to try and rule that out.

There's a simple way to test that out: if the keyboard works without the OS (so in BIOS)

EvilSeph

Administrator
Negative. Gaming keyboards or USB keyboards in general don't all work in the BIOS.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Negative. Gaming keyboards or USB keyboards in general don't all work in the BIOS.

Every USB keyboard I've used (including the one I have now) works fine in BIOS. However, it is true that many older motherboards don't have USB support enabled by default, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

El Diablo

I mean "the same thing" as in it lights up but none of the keys will work or do anything the same way it does now unless I take it out and put it back in.

When I did the fresh install, yes it was as little drivers as possible with the g15 ones.

In response to what Frozen said, my other G15 that always worked fine on my computer with windows 7, would in fact work fine in the bios (allowing you to get into it, then move around etc etc), however this one doesn't.

It literally will not do anything at all with any key unless it is removed and put back in. Nothing during the actual boot up, or after.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls

Wat.

Where the fuck are you pulling this info from. I've never had any usb keyboard not work in the bios, hell even my wireless usb keyboard from 2004 works in the bios. I really doubt a gaming keyboard wouldn't be able to work in the bios considering its marketed to the enthusiast.

EvilSeph

Administrator
I mean "the same thing" as in it lights up but none of the keys will work or do anything the same way it does now unless I take it out and put it back in.

When I did the fresh install, yes it was as little drivers as possible with the g15 ones.

In response to what Frozen said, my other G15 that always worked fine on my computer with windows 7, would in fact work fine in the bios (allowing you to get into it, then move around etc etc), however this one doesn't.

It literally will not do anything at all with any key unless it is removed and put back in. Nothing during the actual boot up, or after.

That rules out driver conflict. It's very clearly looking like a hardware issue I'm afraid.

Wat.

Where the fuck are you pulling this info from. I've never had any usb keyboard not work in the bios, hell even my wireless usb keyboard from 2004 works in the bios. I really doubt a gaming keyboard wouldn't be able to work in the bios considering its marketed to the enthusiast.

Get your panties in a bunch? Re-read what I said. I never said they always don't work, I just said it isn't reliable to assume that USB keyboards will work in the bios as they don't all do that. It depends on the keyboard and it depends on the system environment (i.e. if the BIOS is up to date, if the BIOS has been setup properly, etc.). But in the end, it's a "test" reliant on too many variables to be reliable.

El Diablo

Wat.

x3 pretty much said it perfectly. A lot of older motherboards didn't support it, and some you would need to manually go in and enable legacy usb support for any usb related things to work during boot up (ie keyboard, mouse, a usb hardrive or flash drive that you might have for another boot option). I think that's pretty much all in the past now though.

It was a valid question though since every single possible solution I have thought of or seen on the internet and tried has not worked.