• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Game Giveaways Master Thread

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So since it is now so very common for some of the various PC seller platform to give away games with some regularity, I decided it would be a good idea to have a master thread with all these little giveaways whenever they come out.

Starting off the thread:

GOG is giving away Mount&Blade for free. (top of the page)
Origin is giving away "Dead in Bermuda" in certain regions as part of their "On the House" program. (those who don't get Dead in Bermuda should still have Medal Of Honor, as is my case)

Last edited:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Rising Storm GOTY is free on the Humble Store as of right now.

Not available on OpenCritic but the reviews on Steam are Very Positive.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It took a while for a decent new deal to show up, but here it is!

Outland is free on Steam. No entry on OpenCritic as usual, but the reviews on Steam are Very Positive for both recent and All-time (1000ish reviews).

Enjoy!

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
In a surprising turn of events, PAYDAY 2 is currently free on Steam!

No entry on OpenCritic but it does garner a Metascore of 79 (take it with a pinch of salt, it is MetaCritic). Reviews on Steam are Very Positive for both recent and all-time (out of 258k reviews)

This is a good time for everyone to get it if you need games to play with friends.

NocturnalNL

No entry on OpenCritic but it does garner a Metascore of 79 (take it with a pinch of salt, it is MetaCritic). Reviews on Steam are Very Positive for both recent and all-time (out of 258k reviews)

This is a good time for everyone to get it if you need games to play with friends.
They limited it to 5 million copies though lol

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

They limited it to 5 million copies though lol

So it's not free anymore?

I assume it happened because they know the game is a popular and didn't want to cannibalize their own sales.

NocturnalNL

So it's not free anymore?

I assume it happened because they know the game is a popular and didn't want to cannibalize their own sales.
According to the game forums:
♥Overkill_Ashley♥ said:
Hey there so as many are aware 5 million copies of Payday 2 are going for free on the store page. With that there will be a large influx of new players and threads discussing this. I felt we should have the discussion in one place so that other topics are not burried under threads discussing the same topic.

With this said, i would like users to keep in mind that new players are welcome to the game! Please be respectful and friendly to other gamers and if you have issues with new players in your games remember you can set level limits with in game lobby options. You were also a new player once! So we hope that you understand and help all the new players, just like those who helped you when you first started the game! We we're all newbies at one point don't forget!

All that said, a huge warm welcome to all of the new players and we hope you enjoy the game and future content to come!
http://steamcommunity.com/app/218620/discussions/8/1354868867712502821/

and here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620/announcements/detail/1327847269948862882

Last edited:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

NocturnalNL

This sounds like a PR stunt. I have a hard time believing they would actually run out of 5 million keys o_O even if it is free.

Either that or I am sorely underestimating the PC gaming community.
I honestly doubt they only have 5 mil keys and even so, like you said, they wouldn't run out since devs can create keys out of air.
And yes I think it is a PR stunt, to drag people into the game and get the name of the game out there to boost potential sales for the Ultimate Edition they announced in that vid for the ones "who missed out on the giveaway". At worst they might let it run throughout the summersale and then pull the plug on the giveaway and go like "sorry we're out of keys, but we released or are releasing the UE" or something in that line lol.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I honestly doubt they only have 5 mil keys and even so, like you said, they wouldn't run out since devs can create keys out of air.
And yes I think it is a PR stunt, to drag people into the game and get the name of the game out there to boost potential sales for the Ultimate Edition they announced in that vid for the ones "who missed out on the giveaway". At worst they might let it run throughout the summersale and then pull the plug on the giveaway and go like "sorry we're out of keys, but we released or are releasing the UE" or something in that line lol.

I actually do believe there is an improved version on the way. So there's that. Could be the entire reason for the PR stunt.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
GOG.com is giving away a game called Fantasy General.

Not gonna do the usual critic reception thing because this is a game from 1996. Either you're into oldies or not :p The giveaway should last until tomorrow-ish.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
HumbleBundle are giving away free copies of Killing Floor.

While the second one is out, this should be a good way for you to find out if you're into it or not.

The game does not have an OpenCritic page but it's holding a Very Positive rating on recent reviews (105) and Overwhelmingly Positive on overall (29.2k reviews).

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Jotun is free on Steam and GOG!

This is a temporary giveaway so you should probably hurry up.

The game has an average of 76 on OpenCritic although the recent Steam Reviews are not so favorable, hovering around the mixed area. All time reviews are mostly positive however.

Last edited:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It's been a while since I've done this, but here Shadow Warrior, free, again!

I'm sorry I missed the post when the special edition was free. But hey here it is.

It has a 76 on Opencritic and both the overall reviews and recent reviews on Steam are "Very Positive". Tis a nice deal.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's been a while since I've done this, but here Shadow Warrior, free, again!

I'm sorry I missed the post when the special edition was free. But hey here it is.

It has a 76 on Opencritic and both the overall reviews and recent reviews on Steam are "Very Positive". Tis a nice deal.

Bought it awhile back and it's a fun game, anyone into old school FPSes should like it. I need to check out the sequel one of these days.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Bought it awhile back and it's a fun game, anyone into old school FPSes should like it. I need to check out the sequel one of these days.

I need to play it too (and the sequel). But I gots so much to play. :(

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Mirage: Arcane Warfare is free for a day, before getting a huge price decrease.

Haven't played it yet, nor do I know if I will. All I've heard from a friend is that it had potential but a very small playerbase doomed it.

The game is sitting on a safe 70 at OpenCritic. However Steam reviews are... not so kind. Both Recent and Overall reviews are mixed and I assume much of it is due to the non-existing player base, which stood at 2 last time I checked.