• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

General Android discussion

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This is a general Android OS discussion topic so we can talk about everything Android in here.

So let me kick this off: What do you guys do most on your phones?

I use it mostly for texting and playing emulators (which I'm still trying to get used to, honestly)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Texting, Twitter, Facebook, and SSH mostly. I've given emulators a go but I find most games difficult to play on a phone setup, at least those with precise movements. Basically any platformer falls into this group. RPGs are a joy on it though.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Are there any decent ssh clients? I'd be interested to see how well irssi comes out

I use ConnectBot, it's really well done. Supports multiple sessions and public-private key auth.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just updated my Tattoo to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and even though it's a beta ROM, it works SO much better than 2.2.

It's faster, the market looks WAY better and apps run better. Although the keyboard still sucks xD

Seth

MD Party Room
Just updated my Tattoo to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and even though it's a beta ROM, it works SO much better than 2.2.

It's faster, the market looks WAY better and apps run better. Although the keyboard still sucks xD

I love the 2.3 keyboard, it almost as good as swiftkey, also the new market works on 2.2 as well it just a updated apk and I feel that huge screen top bar as got to go.

Moose

Meta Moose

Is that custom or official ROM? If custom then do the network functions all work on the phone? I'm still waiting for supercurio to get the network functions on his Gingerbread Galaxy S ROM to work in a worth-the-update way.

@Seth: I agree with you, the new market app is too cluttered. The appflow at the top is hideous... the icons aren't of uniform size which gets to me.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Is that custom or official ROM? If custom then do the network functions all work on the phone? I'm still waiting for supercurio to get the network functions on his Gingerbread Galaxy S ROM to work in a worth-the-update way.

@Seth: I agree with you, the new market app is too cluttered. The appflow at the top is hideous... the icons aren't of uniform size which gets to me.

Custom ROM, and I have both wifi and 3G if that's what you're asking xD

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I really like everything about the new market app except for the main/home screen. I'm running a custom 2.3 ROM as well on my Droid Incredible - so far everything is working properly except for the camcorder and a few apps are missing in the market (while others often FC although I'm thinking that I just need to do a wipe and re-flash the ROM since I seem to be the only one getting FC's on some apps)

Robby

Los Doyers!
I really like everything about the new market app except for the main/home screen. I'm running a custom 2.3 ROM as well on my Droid Incredible - so far everything is working properly except for the camcorder and a few apps are missing in the market (while others often FC although I'm thinking that I just need to do a wipe and re-flash the ROM since I seem to be the only one getting FC's on some apps)
How is the Droid incredible?

I have the first Droid phone and I'm due for an early upgrade, I was thinking about getting the Incredible because I heard so many good things about it, any downsides to it?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

I have the first Droid phone and I'm due for an early upgrade, I was thinking about getting the Incredible because I heard so many good things about it, any downsides to it?

I would wait a few months before getting a phone now. The Droid Incredible is a great phone but it's not that big of an upgrade over your current phone. It's a little snappier here and there but not enough to warrant a new phone (It is however a great phone for anyone entering in the Android market on Verizon for the first time). It's probably one of the best Android phones of 2010 but we've got plenty of new ones right around the corner now

Seth

MD Party Room

Just wait for the HTC Thunderbolt it going to be 4g and it's the Incredible successor.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Just wait for the HTC Thunderbolt it going to be 4g and it's the Incredible successor.

Yeah I would suggest this if only I thought it would be a noticeable upgrade but spec-wise it won't receive much of a bump. If it's going to have a 4.3" screen then I would definitely stay away from it; that size is too big for a phone IMO after I used the Droid X. 4.0" is the ideal screen size (Galaxy S phones).

Moose

Meta Moose
Yeah, using my friends iPhone made me realise how small the screen is on them. I don't care about the retina display enough to lose almost an inch in screen size.

Seth

MD Party Room
Yeah I would suggest this if only I thought it would be a noticeable upgrade but spec-wise it won't receive much of a bump. If it's going to have a 4.3" screen then I would definitely stay away from it; that size is too big for a phone IMO after I used the Droid X. 4.0" is the ideal screen size (Galaxy S phones).

I care to disagree see I own the Galaxy S phone( Epic 4g) and while I love the screen I still really want that extra .3 inchs after playing with the droid x and the evo.

Also are you kidding my about the spec bumps?

Qualcomm 3ed gen Snapdragon dual-core processor 1.2 GHz vs a 1st gen Snapdragon( rumored 5x Performance Improvement and way better battery life) , that alone is well worth the upgrade. Let alone that 5 mp front facing camera, the SDXC support and a pretty nice kick stand. All this is making my Epic 4g really outdated lol

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah my friend has the Droid X and I thought the screen was a bit too big. I read rumors about the iPhone coming to Verizon by valentines day but those iPhone to Verizon rumors are always appearing.

Colm

I was using my bro's Motorola Droid, very impressed with it, some of what's avaliable for Android is quite cool (I'm loving Swype right now).
I've been considering picking up an android phone of my own, I'll be visiting the USA in february so I thought I might get one then, but is it easy to get Android phones sim-free, and if so, could I use the phone back in Ireland?