• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

General PSVita Discussion

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Is that PS Logo always orange or does it change on certain status (messages, battery level, standby ect)?
And is that version of Uncharted in English?

Yeah it's in full English. The logo only turns orange while it's being charged.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just tried the Near app (basically a StreetPass equivalent, though Sony's implementation is way better) and it found someone else playing the Vita like 3 miles from me. It also lists what games they have and a notification will pop up if any new games are discovered. Pretty cool.

Note that you have to opt in to share data, it won't do it by default (in case you're worried about privacy). You can also block specific games from sharing data and set up private zones using Google Maps.

I also tried the Twitter app and it's very polished. Better than most clients I've used on my phone.

Question, with the whole PSN Account being tied to a card thing, does the PS Vita support multiple memory cards? Or does the user have to register each card with the same PSN Account or something weird like that.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Question, with the whole PSN Account being tied to a card thing, does the PS Vita support multiple memory cards? Or does the user have to register each card with the same PSN Account or something weird like that.

You can use multiple memory cards, it's just that the same card can't be used across multiple accounts.

On another note... I tried downloading a few PSP games from my US account on the PS3, then transferring them over to the Vita but this won't work. The Vita seems to check the PSN ID that downloaded those games, and if it doesn't match the one on your Vita, nothing will show up.

So it's not possible to use a PS3 to get around the PS Store region restrictions.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Does it have background downloading?

It does. Some games like Uncharted disable the network features though, which completely disconnects you from PSN.

No other games I've tried do that, but then again, Uncharted seems to be the only game pushing the hardware right now. Hopefully it doesn't become a trend with demanding titles.

I know I've had a good amount of questions about this thing, I'm just getting pretty excited about it. Anyway, can we expect memory formatting to take away about the same amount of space as it did on the psp? Are the cards pre formatted or do we have to format manually?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It formats new cards on insert, so all the necessary folders are created. You can't access the card directly as a storage device, though... need to copy any items you want transferred over using the Content Manager app here:

http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/index.html

The Vita will scan any content folders you've setup on the PC side and list the items it can copy over. Kinda similar to syncing through iTunes. And yeah, I only lost a few KB after a fresh format on my 4GB - so same as the PSP in that regard.

Kurian, formatting did always take away storage space of a card. It wasn't a huge chunk, but it was an annoying amount depending on how big your card was.

And a file managing system? Oh god... I really hoped they wouldn't do that. Is it at least seamless, quick and easy to use? Or is it as annoying as iTunes is...

Robby

Los Doyers!
Kurian, formatting did always take away storage space of a card. It wasn't a huge chunk, but it was an annoying amount depending on how big your card was.

And a file managing system? Oh god... I really hoped they wouldn't do that. Is it at least seamless, quick and easy to use? Or is it as annoying as iTunes is...
Hmm I find iTunes to be quite easy myself. Put my music on the program, attach ipod, it syncs automatically, I'm done.

It's easy, yes, I just find it annoying to use. I much prefer to simply have the freedom of dragging, dropping and being able to navigate my memory card, not to mention being able to use it as a storage device sometimes. I just hate having to open up managers, and deal with all the syncing. When a simple drag and drop could get the job done some much faster.

LocutusEstBorg

Wrong. The MBR takes up exactly 1KiB (512B + 512B for backup some systems create). FAT32 only takes up a miniscule amount of space for the filesystem (maybe in 10s of KiB) which grows insignificantly even if you add thousands of files. After formatting, and rounding off by the GUI displaying the value, you'll probably see 1MiB less available space on all card sizes.

The label printed on the cards use SI units. When talking about file or RAM sizes we use JEDEC units. (1GB JEDEC = 1GiB SI = 1.073GB SI)

Wrong. The MBR takes up exactly 1KiB (512B + 512B for backup some systems create). FAT32 only takes up a miniscule amount of space for the filesystem (maybe in 10s of KiB) which grows insignificantly even if you add thousands of files. After formatting, and rounding off by the GUI displaying the value, you'll probably see 1MiB less available space on all card sizes.

The label printed on the cards use SI units. When talking about file or RAM sizes we use JEDEC units. (1GB JEDEC = 1GiB SI = 1.073GB SI)
Ah, wasn't aware of that. I guess I just attributed the conversion from JEDEC to SI to "loss of memory" from formatting. Nobody ever corrected me so I never knew.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Impressions of Gravity Rush -> http://exophase.com/34796/gravity-rush-ps-vita-demo-impressions/

I took the screens on the Vita! Pity there's no option to remove the watermark though.

It's not too bad, but I too would prefer the option of just dragging and dropping. The annoying thing with this is, you actually have to initiate the transfer from the Vita. You can't do it from the PC side. Unlike iTunes however, there's no option to automatically sync. It scans any content folders you've setup, then displays a list from which you can select the files to copy over.

This is what it looks like:

cb1081b4cdb43bc027cbf0d34cc7c6e489665ab3.jpg

I hope later firmwares add the ability to automatically sync, so we can just drop files on the PC side and it'll copy them over without any extra steps.

Also the PS3 <-> Vita connectivity seems to work the same way.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yup, you can transfer saves through the content manager app as well. I tried one PSP game (Dracula X Chronicles) and it looked pretty decent on the Vita. No ghosting at all thanks to the OLED screen, so a dramatic improvement over the PSP in that regard. Runs flawless too. In the settings menu you can toggle the filtering mode, remap buttons, and switch between wide/normal color gamut.

Hopefully they'll incorporate an option to change the screen size to 1:1 native, as I imagine some games that rely on 2D art might not look so good upscaled on the Vita, since the resolution is around 2x that of PSP.

So psp games have black bars? ie. don't take up the whole screen? Eh, not so bad. I guess I'd rather have that than it look ugly since they forced the upscale

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So psp games have black bars? ie. don't take up the whole screen? Eh, not so bad. I guess I'd rather have that than it look ugly since they forced the upscale

No the games are upscaled to fit the entire screen. By 1:1 native I meant an option to match PSP's resolution (480x272), just like the PSP has for PSOne games. 3D assets look fine but I doubt 2D stuff would look nice blown up to a resolution twice as large.