• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Give thanks; show your appreciation

EvilSeph

Administrator
Rarely will you find something that gives you a feeling that rivals the one you get when someone thanks you for something or shows appreciation for the hard work you do.

Nothing motivates me more than a simple "thank you" or a compliment showing appreciation for the hard work and dedication I am showing and we know that this is usually the case for most people so we're adding a reputation system to the forums to enable people to do exactly that: show their appreciation for any well written post, a thread that breeds a lot of intelligent and interactive discussion, an extremely helpful post, etc. - I think you get the point.

The main difference between the reputation we'll have and any other found on the internet is that we're going to disallow negative reputation votes as this tends to lead to pointless drama and baseless arguments that we'd very much like to avoid. The only people, at this time, that will have the ability to give you a negative reputation vote are staff as it will allow us to give you a poke in the right direction if you're not being a good member of the community (though we'll probably rarely use it).

Not sure how to put this new system to good use? Here are some threads that I +rep'ed right after going live with the new reputation system:
[GUIDE] How to send files to friends over the BitTorrent protocol by RoBz
[C/C++]Timer Tutorial by A_Nub
[PIXEL Guide] Desk for PC (Table) by Serideth
[Release] Asterz V1.1 by Slasher
>>>>Solve My Hidden Quotation<<<< by TheMasterChef

Reason: These are well written, easy to follow guides, topics that demand a lot of discussion, get people involved in our community or contributions to our community that meet the expectation for quality that is synonymous with M for Mature. The above mentioned quality threads are part of what we look for when on the lookout for people worthy of becoming a Contributor. What's important to note is that their decision to write the guide or tutorial in the first place without any care for whether or not it will be recognised or appreciated is the kind of attitude we like to see in our Contributors.

Using the Reputation System
  1. Click on the
    reputation.png
    button.
  2. When you've done that, a small popup will display with a textbox where you type the reason for the reputation vote (you are required to provide one)
  3. When you're done typing your reputation comment, simply click on "Add to Reputation"

How does the Reputation System work?
Reputation Power:
Everyone starts off with 0 reputation. At the time of writing, Administrators have the ability to give out 10 reputation points with each vote.

Members start off with reputation power of 1 and their power grows based on certain factors:
  • For every year a person has been a part of M for Mature, they get 1 point added to their reputation power.
  • For every 1000 posts a person makes, they get 1 point added to their reputation power.
  • For every 100 points of reputation a user has, they get 1 point added to their reputation power.

Limits:
  • A member must have a minimum of 10 posts in order to use the reputation system (this is to avoid abuse).
  • There is currently a limit of 10 reputation that a user can give per day (also to avoid abuse).
  • You need to give reputation to 10 other people before you can give a reputation vote to someone you already +rep'ed (once again, to avoid abuse).

General:
  • If you receive a +rep, you'll receive a notification through vBulletin's built in Notifications system.
  • You may view someone's reputation by visiting their profile and going to the Reputation tab.
  • A person's reputation is shown in the postbit area: the number of pips represents their reputation and we've added a numerical representation too to make it easier to tell someone's reputation at a glance.

Hopefully the examples above show you how to properly use our new Reputation System. As always, if you have any questions as to how to go about properly utilizing this new system, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Nothing has been set in stone yet but, if being able to experience the great feeling you get isn't enough of an incentive, we may have some sort of special arrangement for people who earn the most legitimate reputation votes.

Serideth

Rep systems are kinda silly, I like the lack of negative rep idea though.

Maybe they are to people who contribute absolutely nothing to the community, but it's nice to know some people appreciated the work others do.

Bran

Yell
Is that some kinda knock at me?

I provide people art, but I still think rep systems are silly.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Rep systems are kinda silly, I like the lack of negative rep idea though.
Hopefully the lack of negative rep will allow it to serve the community here better than on other sites you may have experience with.

Bran

Yell
Hopefully the lack of negative rep will allow it to serve the community here better than on other sites you may have experience with.

well, with out negative rep it kinda becomes more like contribution experience. Rep is more of a social bitching device.

Nope, sorry if you felt it was.

well I said I thought it was silly, and you said it might to people who contribute nothing. Just seemed like a knock, but I thought maybe not.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Theres a rep system on some student forum, you can give neg and positive reps anomalously or not, its pretty cool.

Scorned

I'm not a big fan of the Rep system when it comes to users, but for Threads it seems to be a pretty good idea that way people know which Threads can actually help or not.

EvilSeph

Administrator
We've had a thread rating system since we opened :p

Slasher

Suck It
I like this idea, but it needs to be a little more out there imo. Like for example, to be able to check my rep points, or to see somebody elses rep points, I have to click a little obscured icon under one of their posts. I don't know but it's almost like a hidden feature that I know I'll never look at.
EDIT - Actually, I don't even think I can see other peoples rep points? Wat?

More information should be provided as well. Like if one person reps one of my posts do I get 10 points? Or is it 1 point per rep? Also, is it a global rep system, or is it just on a per post basis? I'm kind of confused as to how the whole system works.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I like this idea, but it needs to be a little more out there imo. Like for example, to be able to check my rep points, or to see somebody elses rep points, I have to click a little obscured icon under one of their posts. I don't know but it's almost like a hidden feature that I know I'll never look at.

More information should be provided as well. Like if one person reps one of my posts do I get 10 points? Or is it 1 point per rep? Also, is it a global rep system, or is it just on a per post basis? I'm kind of confused as to how the whole system works.

We're looking into making things more visible.

As far as how many points given it's really based on who gave it; their usergroup and how many posts they have factor into it. EvilSeph will be updating the announcement shortly.

EvilSeph

Administrator

All valid points and concerns.

To answer your questions:
1. If one person reps one of your posts, you get 1 reputation point (unless their reputation power has been changed, see below).
2. See above.
3. The reputation system is global (i.e. it affects your reputation as a whole) but is applied to individual posts (which also serve as a reason for the +rep).

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. In the meantime, I've amended the original announcement with the following information:

Using the Reputation System
  1. Click on the
    reputation.png
    button.
  2. When you've done that, a small popup will display with a textbox where you type the reason for the reputation vote (you are required to provide one)
  3. When you're done typing your reputation comment, simply click on "Add to Reputation"

How does the Reputation System work?
Reputation Power:
Everyone starts off with 0 reputation. At the time of writing, Administrators have the ability to give out 10 reputation points with each vote.

Members start off with reputation power of 1 and their power grows based on certain factors:
  • For every year a person has been a part of M for Mature, they get 1 point added to their reputation power.
  • For every 1000 posts a person makes, they get 1 point added to their reputation power.
  • For every 100 points of reputation a user has, they get 1 point added to their reputation power.

Limits:
  • A member must have a minimum of 10 posts in order to use the reputation system (this is to avoid abuse).
  • There is currently a limit of 10 reputation that a user can give per day (also to avoid abuse).
  • You need to give reputation to 10 other people before you can give a reputation vote to someone you already +rep'ed (once again, to avoid abuse).

General:
  • If you receive a +rep, you'll receive a notification through vBulletin's built in Notifications system.
  • You may view someone's reputation by visiting their profile and going to the Reputation tab.
  • A person's reputation is shown in the postbit area: the number of pips represents their reputation and we've added a numerical representation too to make it easier to tell someone's reputation at a glance.

Hope this helps :)

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
I like the lack of negative rep except to staff. We won't have any people spamming out negative rep for no reason, which is good.