• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Glossy vs. Matte LCD Screens

PsypheR

Hi,

It seems these days all the notebooks/monitor's use glossy screens.
I used the 21" HP monitor (a few months old now) for some time while waiting for my Dell 2408WFP to come. The HP was glossy, and as a web/graphics designer it became quite annoying creating dark designs as the glossy screen reflected me and everything behind me and my eyes naturally bounced back between the reflection and the graphics. Browsing the web and such was fine on lighter colored sites as I was away from the window, but sites like this one with a dark base color.. :(

Now I am using a Dell 24" monitor and it has a matte screen. No reflections bugging me :tup:

Anyway, which kind of screen do you like. Glossy or matte?

Sullivan

I like Glossy as it looks nice, but matte is what I use.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Matte. I had glossy on my laptop but it bugged me when I went outside.

Seth

MD Party Room
matte felt more darker and not as bright as glossy. im for glossy, reflecting isnt much of a prob. im usually in a dark place anyway....

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I'm gonna have to go with glossy.

Sometimes the glare does bug, but I haven't found a matte screen that's bright enough.

twelve

I'm not dead
Glossy. I can actually manage to not need to be with a PC 24/7 so I leave my laptop inside.

CASHMON3Y

Ive used matte for all my life so matte.

Joey

I was gonna buy the new Macbook, until I saw it was glossy...

Stupidest fucking desicion ever. Who thought making the one part of the computer you have to look at out of glass was a good idea?

PsypheR

Well, to be fair, glossy does look nice under most artificial light sources, and companies (besides Apple) are starting to realize that there are more design-conscious consumers than they probably realized. And glossy became popular :(

Another unfortunate trend I am starting to see in notebooks are less USB ports.

Seth

MD Party Room
Why do you even need more than 3 usb port? At one time..

PsypheR

If you want USB ports get a proper laptop. Notebooks and web books are designed to be smaller and so they have less USB ports.

I've seen the term "notebook" and "laptop" used interchangeably these days, so the differences between them are negligible. I've read that companies started using the term notebook so they aren't liable for anybody getting injured by using their laptop on their lap. My notebook has 3 usb ports, which is nice.

Vanden said:
Why do you even need more than 3 usb port? At one time..

My monitor has a USB hub on the back so I don't necessarily need more than 3 at the moment, but since my new notebook is my desktop + laptop replacement, I needed as much USB ports as I can get to connect my keyboard, mouse, Wacom tablet, external hard drive, USB stick, printer/scanner, etc. My notebook has 2.5GHz C2D, 8600m GT, 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB, but I don't need that right now), etc. Plenty enough for what I do.

Seth

MD Party Room
Wifi Printer! WHy do you need multiple storage drives hocked up at once on a laptop..

What Cables...

It a laptop.....If you need that many ports buy a cheap usb hub...

The only time I see you need more is your laptop is your desktop replacement.

soha

I was gonna buy the new Macbook, until I saw it was glossy...

Stupidest fucking desicion ever. Who thought making the one part of the computer you have to look at out of glass was a good idea?

thats because they're fashion accessories and most people dont mind buying a 2000+ mirror. mac pros with an awesome crt is where its at.

Colm

Matte, for travelling in car etc. And on desktops too, my PC is near the window.