• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 and how it could interfere with Exophase

Arthefran

Hi all,

As you might have seen, CD Projekt Red has announced a full overhaul of their GOG Galaxy launcher (PCGamer article on the subject).

They aim to combine every major gaming platform (PC & consoles) into their own client, and display things like playtime and achievements. They are in discussions with "major partners" to get official integration but they also talked about community-based solutions to gather this data.

Basically, I guess they will primarily use the same APIs than Exophase, and Galaxy could become kind of a competitor to the website: why bother to use it and create a new account when you can have this data on a launcher already installed on your PC? But if their discussions with other gaming platforms urge those platforms to share achievements and playtime data more easily, perhaps Exophase could take advantage of this.

What do you think?

[Edit: mods, sorry if I posted in the wrong sub-forum, feel free to move it where it fits best]

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It will be interesting to see what GOG brings to the table. If they can get Nintendo to open up their data it would be good.

I'm not really concerned about it impacting the site personally, as there's definitely room for multiple tracking sites. Some people prefer not having to use a launcher too, though maybe these features will also be accessible through the GOG website.

Arthefran

It will be interesting to see what GOG brings to the table. If they can get Nintendo to open up their data it would be good.

I'm not really concerned about it impacting the site personally, as there's definitely room for multiple tracking sites. Some people prefer not having to use a launcher too, though maybe these features will also be accessible through the GOG website.

Yeah actually, if the response to this is high enough, it might show some big players that achievement tracking et play stats are important to many gamers and push them to open up these data (looking at you Nintendo and Ubisoft and Epic)