• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Good Graphics Card

Sullivan

My current budget is 140$. I need a high end card, looking for a nVidia chip.

eVGA, XFX, PNY are all brands I am welcomed too. I am also possibly selling my 9500 to a friend, upping my budget to 190$ cash.

I can get a "BFG 9800GTX OC 512MB" lightly used for 110$. With lifetime warranty.

If I sell my 9500 and get 190$, I plan on getting:

FRYS.comEVGA

Comments or other suggestions?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Sullivan, can you not step up your card ? It's evga isn't it ?

Also a 9800gtx == gts 250

it's just a rebrand of the card. For around $190 I would go with a 4870 or gtx 260 depending on preference(i would go with the gtx 260)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'd go for the GTX 260. 9800 GTX is a decent card but isn't high-end anymore, running recent games it'll struggle at a high-res with everything on max.

Sullivan

Ok thanks, well If I don't sell this 9500gt, i am all over this 9800gtx superoc.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Sullivan, isn't your 9500gt an EVGA branded card ?

If it is, you can use the step up program if you haven't had it for 90 days. This way you can send your 9500gt to them and get a better card.You just have to pay the difference.

You could step up to either a gtx 260 or a 9800gtx.

Sullivan

Oh, wow thats what that is... Checks around.

EDIT: Whoa, after trading in my card, I can get a 250 for 78$.

Sullivan

I have to enter how much I paid for it, what will happen if i LIE, lol.

Sullivan

oh, ok, I started the process, total cost for me to do everything:

$73.36 Shipped both ways.

Sullivan

Nah, going for the GTS250, I don't need a super high end gfx card, with gts250 is like 10x better then this 9500gt, and I don't even really game on my pc, so it will be a great long lasting card.

Hardrive

Contributor
You should really just drop the extra $50 and get the 260, it'll be worth it in the long run. I wish I did when I had the chance.

Sullivan

I can't that's the problem. And for what I do, it will be more then good.

Hardrive

Contributor
I have the 9600GT and CoD:WaW and L4D look fabulous on it.

I have two 9600 GTs in SLI and I can't run Farcry 2, Crysis, or GTA IV at more than medium settings at 1440x900 or greater.

I wish I would have just waited and either purchased the GTX 260 or 280 when they were released. I spent about $300 purchasing the 9600s, but just a bit too early to take advantage of EVGA's step up.

ilyace

I have two 9600 GTs in SLI and [HIGHLIGHT]I can't run Farcry 2, Crysis, or GTA IV at more than medium settings at 1440x900 or greater[/HIGHLIGHT].

I wish I would have just waited and either purchased the GTX 260 or 280 when they were released. I spent about $300 purchasing the 9600s, but just a bit too early to take advantage of EVGA's step up.

Is that just an SLI thing? Because I can run Crysis at all high settings at 1680x1050 with just one 8800GTS G92...I can't remember the setting names for Farcry 2 but I'm pretty sure it was pretty high (and then there's GTA IV...but I didn't care much about performance on that game).

Sullivan

Why can't you? Get a job... mow some lawns, something. It's good for you.

Because, and school is going nuts right now for me.

No time for a job. And since I will almost never game on this machine, I don't need it.