• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Google Chrome OS CR-48 Laptop Pilot Program [US]

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
As most of you are aware, Google unveiled Chrome OS officially earlier this week, along with a pilot program in which Google is distributing, for free, CR-48 laptops designed for testing the new OS. You can apply to get one of these laptops below but they are in limited supply and each application is reviewed individually.

US-only currently

http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program.html

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Cool - just applied!

DIDN'T THEY REMOVE THE CAPS LOCK KEY AND REPLACE IT WITH A SEARCH KEY? THAT'S PRETTY FORWARD OF THEM, ALTHOUGH PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REBINDING THEIR CAPS LOCK KEYS ALL THE TIME.

Call me old fashioned, but the thought of a purely web driven OS still seems like a pipe dream. Native apps just tend to have that integrated feel and snappiness that I cannot give up. Although, I haven't really tried it out, so maybe it isn't as terrible as I would imagine.

The design's alright, although it appears way too square, namely the shape of the panel. It needs some contrasting white on it somewhere

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
DIDN'T THEY REMOVE THE CAPS LOCK KEY AND REPLACE IT WITH A SEARCH KEY? THAT'S PRETTY FORWARD OF THEM, ALTHOUGH PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REBINDING THEIR CAPS LOCK KEYS ALL THE TIME.

Call me old fashioned, but the thought of a purely web driven OS still seems like a pipe dream. Native apps just tend to have that integrated feel and snappiness that I cannot give up. Although, I haven't really tried it out, so maybe it isn't as terrible as I would imagine.

The design's alright, although it appears way too square, namely the shape of the panel. It needs some contrasting white on it somewhere

Agreed about the whole web browser as OS but I'd be willing to give it a shot. Currently my laptop serves as my connection to the internet on-the-go. Currently I have open: web browser, notepad, microsoft word and paint. All of these programs have online alternatives and I'll be able to move over easily. The other plus is the constant integration with the web, the syncing of documents mainly.

It's by no means a replacement for a main computer (at least not in my opinion) but it has potential as an on-the-go OS. I have less doubts about it now in terms of capability but it will be hard to come to any conclusions on the OS without using it on a daily basis which this program is partially for.

EDIT: Also the caps lock key is rebindable to the search key

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Applied for it, but I don't see many of us individuals especially getting one. Worth a shot though.

Same here... Sucks though, we're more "capable" of testing the OS than most of the places they seem to be giving them to so far. All we can do is hope for the best. I mean...I'm a student and work online nearly 24/7 and probably won't get accepted to the program.

Tarret

If all laptops came out of the box looking plain like that more people would buy them. Those would espescially be good for those who like to personalize their laptop.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
If all laptops came out of the box looking plain like that more people would buy them. Those would espescially be good for those who like to personalize their laptop.

Macbooks do a good job of looking rather plain most of the time but there's a lot of people who really don't like them based off Mac OS X, the price and the stereotype of their users. If I had the money to spare, I would get a macbook myself but I'd probably duelboot it with Windows 7 instead of use Mac OS X. There's way too many small niggles I have with Mac OS X to stop me from using it fulltime (like hitting enter in Mac OS X prompts you to rename the file, it doesn't open it in a default application).

Darkchild

The Doctor
Macbooks do a good job of looking rather plain most of the time but there's a lot of people who really don't like them based off Mac OS X, the price and the stereotype of their users. If I had the money to spare, I would get a macbook myself but I'd probably duelboot it with Windows 7 instead of use Mac OS X. There's way too many small niggles I have with Mac OS X to stop me from using it fulltime (like hitting enter in Mac OS X prompts you to rename the file, it doesn't open it in a default application).

Bootcamp sucks with Windows 7, I had a MacBook, grew tired and sold it, swore never to use a MacOS based product again!