• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Google Wave

Noriyuke

Most of the people who "should" be using Wave, are developers or people who need to be in contact all the time. IM is used for that, and you can share ideas on a forum if that's where the idea originated from. All in all, Wave isn't needed for MFM if nothing will be said other than the usual in IRC.

That is true, but why not start using it as a collaboration tool? I figured we could use it as a blueprint for a homebrew game, or a tournament, or something.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I have 6 Wave invites left. So far, the only thing I've used it for is updating my twitter which is more inconvenient than anything. It has potential and I'm sure it could be a lot of fun if we did something around MFM. Whether it's useful or not, it would be fun to see how it works with a bigger group so I'm all for starting an MFM Wave.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
heh, i thought this had died, i hadn't heard anything from it in a long time.

edit: guess i should have read the article first, google wave is dead, hell i didn't even know it was out of beta, no wonder it's dead, google never seemed to advertise it, but 2 months and dead, that's fast.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Wave was a solid product but lacked direction. One major issue is that it had no identity. People were calling it a Twitter replacement, email killer, etc. This in part was driven by Google's failure to communicate and outline Wave's intended purpose.

So GMail still stands as Google's only successful non-search venture. I wouldn't count YT as they bought that out.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Wave was a solid product but lacked direction. One major issue is that it had no identity. People were calling it a Twitter replacement, email killer, etc. This in part was driven by Google's failure to communicate and outline Wave's intended purpose.

Yeah and no one wants to watch a 1 hour video to figure out what it is all about either. I never used Wave, it just requires too many people to be using it and as it is, not many people do use google products aside from GMail...and even then I know a lot of people who still use Yahoo! or AOL for mail

Adiuvo

So GMail still stands as Google's only successful non-search venture. I wouldn't count YT as they bought that out.

I'd say Reader and Voice are successful as well, along with Docs to a point. There's also Android.

I never saw the point of Wave. Everything it implemented that was new could have been better put to use if it was implemented into an existing product. I'm glad their taking that route now.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Wave was great as a collaboration tool for projects I was working on in groups. It also worked wonderfully when I was using my old laptop that BSODed every so often and kept the files I was uploading and what I written safe.

I'm definitely going to miss it, and I hope the Wave exporter keeps my important data safe.