• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Grab images for Stadia achievements from a different platform

Skumblex

Hey everyone!

[For a better idea see my second post]

Even though I love this website quite a lot, every now and then I stumble upon the fact that the Stadia achievements only show their grayed/hidden image (which I know, is mainly Google's fault).

So here, I have another suggestion to make in order to solve this problem. :p
What do you think about grabbing the trophy images from a different platform, so that we do not have to deal with generic trophy images anymore. So if a game also exists for say PS4/5, you just take the images from there, since they should be identical in all cases. This would help getting rid of something like this
1622932014190.png

For the very few games that are Stadia exclusive, we could then try to fine the images online and make some sort of 'private database'. This way, we should be able to get colored images for all Stadia games. Especially, since Google will not publish any more Stadia-exclusive games.

Last edited:

Skumblex

Another (better) option might be the following:

On the Stadia web app, each user has a link of the following form

[1] https://stadia.google.com/profile/<profile-id>

Also every game, has a game id. So the achievements a certain player has achieved for a certain game are under

[2] https://stadia.google.com/profile/<profile-id>/detail/<game-ide>

whereby the different game-id's can be extracted from the HTML5 code on the profile page [1].

So for a given profile id, you can scan the profile page for all games that have been played and then go the every specific game page [2] to get the achievements that have been earned.

These game pages for a player also have the colored images and also show the hidden achievements that have been unlocked. So by using this method, for each player, you can show all (including the hidden) achievements, and also grab the colored images for all those that have been obtained (I checked the HTML code and this seems to be possible). The remaining ones can of course remain uncolored, which would be inline with what Stadia actually shows. This way, every player would have colored images for those achievements that have already been obtained by him/her.

The general game-overview without association with a player can then keep the uncolored images or fetch the images from a different platform.

If it is not possible to get the <profile-id> based on the username, you could add an option to explicitly specify it for better achievement tracking. But I think it should, since I can search for a username and get the id this way.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Another (better) option might be the following:

On the Stadia web app, each user has a link of the following form

[1] https://stadia.google.com/profile/<profile-id>

Also every game, has a game id. So the achievements a certain player has achieved for a certain game are under

[2] https://stadia.google.com/profile/<profile-id>/detail/<game-ide>

whereby the different game-id's can be extracted from the HTML5 code on the profile page [1].

So for a given profile id, you can scan the profile page for all games that have been played and then go the every specific game page [2] to get the achievements that have been earned.

These game pages for a player also have the colored images and also show the hidden achievements that have been unlocked. So by using this method, for each player, you can show all (including the hidden) achievements, and also grab the colored images for all those that have been obtained (I checked the HTML code and this seems to be possible). The remaining ones can of course remain uncolored, which would be inline with what Stadia actually shows. This way, every player would have colored images for those achievements that have already been obtained by him/her.

The general game-overview without association with a player can then keep the uncolored images or fetch the images from a different platform.

If it is not possible to get the <profile-id> based on the username, you could add an option to explicitly specify it for better achievement tracking. But I think it should, since I can search for a username and get the id this way.

The issue with that approach is it only shows the colored achievement images when you are logged in under your account. If I browse your profile from my account, it still shows the locked images, and any hidden achievements are absent from the game pages as well - even if you've earned them.

I'm not sure why they set it up like this, you can't even see the unlock timestamps for hidden achievements on other profiles unless you also earned those achievements under your own account (which is why those are still not trackable here).

So perhaps we can just match up the games from other platforms and use those achievement images. I was hoping Google would change how this works since I didn't really want to do that, but it seems like it may be the only solution. Only other way I can think of is if we created a browser extension that if users install would submit the achievement information to us, but since we already have the data for other platforms, just using that would be the easier route.

Skumblex

Ah damn, you are right. I though they fixed it, but apparently I have looking at the wrong profiles.

In this case, I would really be in favour of grabbing the achievements from other platforms. However, this way it is still not possible to show hidden achievements right?

I don't know. This should be any easy fix for Google...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I added the ability to swap icons from different platforms on the achievement list pages now. RE8 as an example: https://www.exophase.com/game/resident-evil-village-stadia/achievements/ and Control: https://www.exophase.com/game/control-ultimate-edition-stadia/achievements/

For Stadia games it always auto swaps to Steam or PS4/PS5 (if available). Doesn't impact the icons on profile or single achievement pages yet, still working on that. I'm going to add an option to set your preferred icon set platform across the site too.