• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[GUIDE] Choosing the right distro

Noriyuke

Alright screw it! I'm risking the headache! im curious as to how much faster the PC will be after replacing windows xp with zenwalk. Ill let you guys know later tonight.

Edit: Ok, i got caught up in a little snag:

Follow me to the manual here: http://manual.zenwalk.org/en/Installation_step_by_step.html

The computer hangs at Step 13, the X11 Installation or something. The Screen goes black and the Hard drive blinks every second or so. Ctrl+Alt+Delete makes the PC do a few things, then a few pixels show some color and i have to forcibly shut the PC off. Then i have to start all over again, well not all over but from step 11. Which ain't so bad. My question is how to fix this?

kaioshade

Duality
I am surprised at the lack of Mention for debian, considering thats what Ubuntu is based on.

mohaas05

This isn't a list of every single distribution out there, its a guide to the most popular and supported ones that would appeal best to each category.

Seth

MD Party Room
I do feel that

Linux From Scratch Gentoo and Slackware should be in one category... There all mainly for the linux hardcore...

Noriyuke

Ok! Well after having a major headache from trying to install Zenwalk and getting no support from anyone here nor from the forums on their page i'm moving on to xubuntu. We'll see how this one works out.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Noriyuke said:
Ok! Well after having a major headache from trying to install Zenwalk and getting no support from anyone here nor from the forums on their page i'm moving on to xubuntu. We'll see how this one works out.
I'd suggest that, both because xubuntu is probably the easiest to use of the lightweight distro's, but also the most used in the community(go to ubuntuforums.org and get an answer in <15 min)

Noriyuke

Ah well! i didnt really know that, and here i spent 2 Cd's Burning the Zenwalk live cd as well as the regular hard drive install disc. i gues now it was done for no reason really.

mohaas05

Speaking of Linux troubles...

Hmm that's wierd. Compiz isn't working on my computer. I ran glxgears and glxinfo and both indicate hardware acceleration is active but running "compiz --replace" leaves me with a completely white screen.

Noriyuke

bro you don't even know the shit storm of fear i had from trying to wipe the Hard drive clean of zenwalk and trying to install xubuntu, like after wiping the HD it would boot from the toshiba screen to a screen that says L99 99 99 like till half the screen i thought i fucked up the PC permanently.

Seth

MD Party Room
What distro is this?

And how was compiz installed?

Seth

MD Party Room
Noriyuke said:
bro you don't even know the shit storm of fear i had from trying to wipe the Hard drive clean of zenwalk and trying to install xubuntu, like after wiping the HD it would boot from the toshiba screen to a screen that says L99 99 99 like till half the screen i thought i fucked up the PC permanently.
If the HDD fails to boot then it then load the cd and from there you should have no trouble formatting and install xubuntu...But I never had any luck with xubuntu on a p3....

Seth

MD Party Room
mohaas05 said:
Fedora 10. I installed compiz-fusion from the RPM Fusion Repo.
Umm this is a crazy common problem but

A white screen can be a symptom of different problems depending on your video card. For nVidia cards, it usually means that the nvidia driver is not enabled or operational.

This problem is characterised by a completely white screen where desktop effects (such as rotating the cube with <Ctrl><Alt>Left or <Ctrl><Alt>Left) continue to work, but no window contents are visible. It means that there is a bug with binding pixmaps to textures. This usually means that for whatever rendering method you are using, the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension is broken. Please upgrade your driver, X server, and/or Xgl if you are using it.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Troubleshooting#head-2325ff64f5d986394639f6c077217b505a09d02f

Btw Was this a fresh Os install or a upgrade from 9?

If it was a upgrade did you have compiz-fusion on your old setup installed?

Noriyuke

Well, its not a white screen, its just blank, you just see the Grey scale you know. But yeah, the drivers needed are for the Trident Cyberblade Ai1, Toshiba's support page has nothing for linux, but there are some windows 2000 drivers! If that helps. Anyway, i'm heading to the forums, maybe the guy i was talking to found a fix.

Seth

MD Party Room
Noriyuke said:
Well, its not a white screen, its just blank, you just see the Grey scale you know. But yeah, the drivers needed are for the Trident Cyberblade Ai1, Toshiba's support page has nothing for linux, but there are some windows 2000 drivers! If that helps. Anyway, i'm heading to the forums, maybe the guy i was talking to found a fix.
I have no idea what your talking about.
The post above was for mohaas05

and Toshiba and hp and dell wont have drivers your linux....
Drivers for linux on older hardware and some new hardware are built into linux...When you load up the live cd.

Noriyuke

Well, i was hoping you were talking to me. So then there's no way to get other drivers if the live nor the install don't have them?

Seth

MD Party Room
depends on what drivers are needed?

Video,Sound,Wifi?

Chathurga

To No. 7, I'd just like to add that Fluxbuntu far better meets the requirements of the section than Xubuntu.
It's system requirements are 300 MHz, 64 MB RAM and 2GB of disk space. It's great since it's on the Ubuntu base, meaning (basically) whatever installs on Ubuntu can be installed on this too (I know Xubuntu is on that base too but this is twice as light). It's the best looking lighweight Linux you'll find, I absolutely love it. It uses the Fluxbox window manager, which it a lot more light weight than Xfce.

Fluxbuntu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fluxbuntu: User-friendly Featherweight Linux? | Techthrob.com

I'd have a look at the "Limitations" section of the second link, none of them have bothered me though.

fluxbuntu710usingabiworou9.png