• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Guide] Download multi-link Rapidshare files with ease

twelve

I'm not dead
[fieldset=Preface]I'm sure a lot of the pirates amongst us know how to use download managers to get multi-link, split archive files already. But there are some who struggle with them and don't realise how easy it really is to download split archive files.

There are many different download managers available, there are also many different methods for downloading multi-link, split archive files. This is my preferred method.

Note: This method will work with all other sources as well, I am just using Rapidshare as it is the most common that I've found.[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Requirements]Firefox
Flashgot (firefox addon)
Linkification (firefox addon)
Flashget
Rapidshare premium account[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Installation]This is all fairly basic stuff so I won't go into any detail.

1. Install Firefox
2. Install the Flashget download manager
3. Start Firefox
4. Install the Flashgot Addon
5. Install the Linkification Addon
6. Restart Firefox[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Configure Rapidshare]1. Log into your Rapidshare account by clicking Premium Zone then Premium Zone Login at the top of the page.
2. Click Settings
settings.jpg

3. In settings make sure that the option Direct Downloads is checked.
settings2.jpg

4. Click Save[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Downloading]
1. Locate something to download. For this example I am using Ubuntu as it is not illegal to download.
2. Right-Click anywhere on the page and make sure that Flashget is the selected Download Manager.
flashget1.jpg

3. Right click anywhere on the page again and choose Flashgot All (or press Ctrl+F3)
4. A list of links from that page will appear. Right click any of them and Choose Deselect All.
flashget3.jpg

5. Highlight the Rapidshare links and choose Mark Highlight.
flashget2.jpg

6. Click OK
7. The Add New Download Dialog will appear. Click OK (if the path C:\Downloads doesn't exist it will ask you if it's ok to create it)
8. Watch your downloads all go through.[/fieldset]
[fieldset=(Optional) Flashget Configuration]
Most people are fine with the default options in Flashget, however if you have a slow connection you may want to limit the downloads to one at a time, likewise if you have a fast connection you may want to run more at a time.

1. Open Flashget
2. Click Tools and then Options

Max Simultaneous Downloads
1. Click Tools and then Options (or press Alt+O)
2. Click Connections in the left hand panel
3. Increase/Decrease the Max Simultaneous Jobs option to your preferred amount. I recommend 2 for a 2MB connection and 4 for a >10MB connection.
4. Click OK to close the Options dialog box
connections.jpg

Using a Proxy
This does not apply to web page based proxies. This is for hardware proxies (if you connect through an intranet you may have one of these).

1. Click Tools and then Options (or press Alt+O)
2. Click Proxy in the left hand panel
3. Click the Add button
4. Choose the HTTP <Get> option.
5. Enter a name for your proxy and put in the server and port details.
6. Click OK
7. Place a tick in the boxes under Http Default, Ftp Default and Multi Proxy columns next to your Proxy name.
8. Click OK to close the Options dialog box.
proxy.jpg

Changing the default download directory
1. Click Tools and then Default Download Properties (or press Alt+Ctrl+O)
2. Click the Browser button in the window that opens.
3. Locate the folder where you would like downloads to go, if it does not exist then click New Folder to create it.
4. Click OK
5. Click OK once again to save this as the default directory

Suggested default download directories:
Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Downloads
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\Downloads

Windows Vista
C:\Users\username\Downloads (this folder is created by default)
C:\Users\username\Desktop\Downloads

folder.jpg
[/fieldset]

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
Sweet, thanks for the pointers.
Ive found multi link downloads hard ever since RS Manager crapped in on me :(

Seth

MD Party Room
I not really seeing the point of this if you have a Rapidshare premium account you can download these files anyway...

twelve

I'm not dead
Vanden said:
I not really seeing the point of this if you have a Rapidshare premium account you can download these files anyway...
Xbox 360 games = 60-70 RS links (or 30-35 for new 200MB premium links)

That's a lot of links to download manually.

Using flashget and flashgot you can get them all with a few mouse clicks and leave it going. And you can pause the downloads if you need to reboot or shutdown while they're going.

Seth

MD Party Room
I had no idea...70 links is huge....

twelve

I'm not dead
Like I said at the beginning everyone has their own preferences. This was mainly written for Granite cos he was having trouble with his download manager and I recommended Flashget.

Colm

Thanks for this, Internet Download Manager was being bitchy and this guide will really help out, thanks :D

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Sweet, now I can screw IDM's crappy synchronization features.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Hardly said:
I just use IDM, it has browser integration and then all you have to do is highlight all the links, right click and select "Download with IDM", then just click Start Queue on IDM.
I started with Flashget, but I enjoy IDM so much more, so +1 for IDM

eldiablov

Contributor
twelve said:
Like I said at the beginning everyone has their own preferences. This was mainly written for Granite cos he was having trouble with his download manager and I recommended Flashget.

Read the thread much?

twelve

I'm not dead
Moose said:
I read that... I meant what is actually wrong with RSM that made Granite want to use a different download manager.
His downloads weren't starting. They'd queue and do nothing else.

afiser

the new download limit on rapidshare is complete bullshit. 2.66 gb per day? wtf.

i use orbit downloader+flashgot

works a dream.

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
I just use IDM, it has browser integration and then all you have to do is highlight all the links, right click and select "Download with IDM", then just click Start Queue on IDM.

I find IDM a lot easier to manage, it gives more advanced options I find. But nice guide!

twelve

I'm not dead
the new download limit on rapidshare is complete bullshit. 2.66 gb per day? wtf.

i use orbit downloader+flashgot

works a dream.
It's a shame RS have gone so crappy. Only reason I still use it is because so many uploaders still put their files on there that it's easy to find everything.

What I do is don't download anything for a few days and wait until your download limit is 12GB then go to town. Then wait a few days again.

dennis96411

Anyone tried JDownloader? It's really good for these sharing sites, but you do have to enter any captcha that pops up, which can be annoying if you decide to go to bed leaving it on.

http://jdownloader.org/