• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Guide] Etrian Odyssey II (US) - Rom hacking

Nevada

Well, this is my little guide to hacking the TEXT in the game Etrian Odyssey II - Heroes of Lagaard, i'm not exactly a professional in this area however i've not seen this sort of thing done by anyone else yet, not even on the DS rom hacking scene.

Files
First of all lets learn a few of the files inside the rom, you'll want to grab yourself nitro explorer 1.2 for extracting them!
CharaSelMess.mbb contains various info including the character selection class names
OptMess.mbb contains the text for certain menu elements, options, save dialogs etc.
The rest of the mbb files contain various other information you will want to fiddle with, the filenames are pretty straight forward in that respect though so you should be fine.
It's worth noting that there is no file compression involved with these .mbb files, they're just 'encoded', thankfully decoding messages is one of my hobbys in life so lets get on with the decoding of these files!

Encoding
The text encoding is simple substitution of characters, for example if we look at the text..
-JDFOTFE CZ /JOUFOEP
It works out as
Licensed by Nintendo

But rather than leave you asking how that is done, look at this relatively straight forward table.

1224860569.jpg

It then becomes a relatively simple task of copying a block of text from the mbb files, for example, 1SPUFDUPS, and exchanging the characters for the ones above, where 1SPUFDUPS translates to Protector

Will cover this in more detail depending on how useful people find it.