• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Guide] How to dualboot Windows/Ubuntu with OSx or make a Triple Boot on a non-Apple computer/laptop

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This is my guide and as far as I understand, the best way to triple boot three of the most mainstream OS'. The dual boot guides are just for shits and giggles.

What you are going to need:

iAtkos S3v2 Snow Leopard DVD
Windows 7 DVD
Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx CD/DVD

1: Partition your disc accordingly. Always keep in mind the OS you will use the most should take about 2/3 of the HDD. Leave the remaining 1/3 for the secondary OS. Format both partitions after making them.
2: Install Windows 7 normally in its partition;
3: Configure Windows 7;
4: Boot the Snow Leopard Install;
5: As soon as the installer greets you go to "Utilities" and open the "Disk Utility".
6: Choose the partition you made earlier for OSx and erase it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)";
7: Now don't be hasty and get to the part where the OSx installer asks you which drive you want to install in;
8: Click the "Customize" button on the left corner;
9: My advice now would be to choose the following options:
Bootloader: AsereBLN
Bootloader Options: Graphics Enabler and USBBusFix (under the USB submenu)
Patches: All the ones that come chosen plus qoopz 10.3.0 (under the Modified Kernel submenu), EVO Reboot and Sleep Enabler.
(if your USB ports do not work the first time, you might have to reinstall and choose USB under this patches menu. But I didn't need it tbh)
Main Hardware: Leave sound checked and choose NTFS3G. If you are using a laptop as I am, also check PS/2 and Laptop Hardware
VGA: Choose the one that matches your VGA card. nVidia users should choose the Natit option. For network wired and wireless you should choose also the ones that match your hardware.
(if you have doubts about your hardware just go back to "Utilities" and choose "System Profiler")
10: Now you can install OSx. In about 30 minutes you should have OSx up and running :)
Optional 11: If some of your hardware isn't working inside OSx just go to www.kexts.com and search their download section for kexts of your hardware. Use their kext helper b7 to install the kexts ;)

Most of you might not know (good for you if you do xD) But Ubuntu and OSx are hard to get working side by side because their bootloader do not like each other. Though I have not tested this method, from my experimenting and experience it should work fine.
1: Boot the OSx installer;
2: As soon as the installer greets you go to "Utilities" and open the "Disk Utility";
3: Right click on your HDD and choose "Partition";
4: Choose 2 partitions and distribute the space accordingly. Always keep in mind the OS you will use the most should take about 2/3 of the HDD. Leave the remaining 1/3 for the secondary OS. OSx partition should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and for Ubuntu for now just choose MSDOS Fat;
5: Now don't be hasty and get to the part where the OSx installer asks you which drive you want to install in;
6: Click the "Customize" button on the left corner;
7: My advice now would be to choose the following options:
Patches: All the ones that come chosen plus qoopz 10.3.0 (under the Modified Kernel submenu), EVO Reboot and Sleep Enabler.
(if your USB ports do not work the first time, you might have to reinstall and choose USB under this patches menu. But I didn't need it tbh)
Main Hardware: Leave sound checked and choose NTFS3G. If you are using a laptop as I am, also check PS/2 and Laptop Hardware
VGA: Choose the one that matches your VGA card. nVidia users should choose the Natit option. For network wired and wireless you should choose also the ones that match your hardware.
(if you have doubts about your hardware just go back to "Utilities" and choose "System Profiler")
8: Now you can install OSx. In about 30 minutes you should have OSx up and running :)
9: Boot into OSx and configure it :p
Optional 10: If some of your hardware isn't working inside OSx just go to www.kexts.com and search their download section for kexts of your hardware. Use their kext helper b7 to install the kexts ;)
11: Now it's time to install Ubuntu so boot the installer;
12: When you get to Step 4, you need to create the partitions for Ubuntu to work so choose the partition you created earlier and format it in Ext4 filesystem and choose the mount point as / and format but reduce it's size in 2048 or 4096 so you can use that space to create a swap partition. After creating both partitions, take a good look at what number the ext4 partitions (sda2 or 3 or 4) because you're going to need it.
13: When you reach the last step, don't press finish right away! Choose "Advanced" and in boot loader installation choose the ext4 partition you set up earlier!
14: Install Ubuntu and everything should be working fine ;)

This is where it gets a little trickier. But follow these instructions and everything should work fine.
1: Boot the OSx installer;
2: As soon as the installer greets you go to "Utilities" and open the "Disk Utility";
3: Right click on your HDD and choose "Partition";
4: Choose 2 partitions and distribute the space accordingly. Always keep in mind the OS you will use the most should take about 2/4 of the HDD. Leave the remaining 2/4 for the secondary OS. OSx partition should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and for Ubuntu and Windows for now just choose MSDOS Fat. My personal advice is to make the first partition the Windows one, second for OSx and third for Ubuntu. IMPORTANT: In the partitioner, choose "Options" and click on Master Boot Record! If you leave it as GUID Partition Table, Windows won't work!
5: Now don't be hasty and get to the part where the OSx installer asks you which drive you want to install in;
6: Click the "Customize" button on the left corner;
7: My advice now would be to choose the following options:
8: Now you can install OSx. In about 30 minutes you should have OSx up and running :)
9: Boot into OSx and configure it :p
Optional 10: If some of your hardware isn't working inside OSx just go to www.kexts.com and search their download section for kexts of your hardware. Use their kext helper b7 to install the kexts ;)
11: Now it's time to install Windows so boot the DVD up;
12: Install it on the partition you created for it. Remember to format or it won't work xD;
13: Configure Windows accordingly;
(at this point Windows bootloader should take over the OSx one, but we'll fix that later)
14: Now it's time to install Ubuntu so boot it's installer;
15: When you get to Step 4, you need to create the partitions for Ubuntu to work so choose the partition you created earlier and format it in Ext4 filesystem and choose the mount point as / and format but reduce it's size in 2048 or 4096 so you can use that space to create a swap partition. After creating both partitions, take a good look at what number the ext4 partitions (sda2 or 3 or 4) because you're going to need it.
16: When you reach the last step, don't press finish right away! Choose "Advanced" and in boot loader installation choose the ext4 partition you set up earlier!
17: Install Ubuntu and everything should be working fine ;)
18: Now let's fix the OSx loader. Boot the OSx installer once again.
19: Open the Disk Utility once again;
20: Right click on your OSx partition and choose information;
21: Verify the identifier of your partition (disk0s1, disk0s2,...);
22: Exit the Disk Utility and under "Utilities", choose AsereBLN installer;
23: When it asks you your disk number type in the number of the disk (0, 1 or 2, or whatever). When it asks the number of the partition, type in the number of your OSx partition);
24: Confirm and let it work.
25: Exit the OSx installer and reboot;
26: All done ;) Have fun with your triple boot computer xD

Edit: If you see you don't need x, y, z fix on the first installation then don't install it it will make the issue appear.

Hellcat

Contributor
How compatble is that Hackintosh DVD with recent PC HW?

Like, say, this: Intel Core2Duo U7300; IntelGMA and esp. the USB crapped out during my last vojage into Hakintosh land.
How much trouble did it give you?
How stable is it?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
How compatble is that Hackintosh DVD with recent PC HW?

Like, say, this: Intel Core2Duo U7300; IntelGMA and esp. the USB crapped out during my last vojage into Hakintosh land.
How much trouble did it give you?
How stable is it?

Well it was completely compatible with my hardware (maybe I got lucky?) The CPU should have no issues since mine is a C2D aswell. There are numerous drivers for Intel GMA chipset.

As for the USB issue there are two ways to go at it. First try installing without the USB fix, if it works great :) If not, reinstall with the USB fix to get them to work. Installing the USB fix if your computer doesn't need it makes the USB ports crap out xD

It didn't give me much trouble to make it work, and it's more stable than Windows actually :p

Right now I found another issue: If you install the sleep fix without needing it, it also makes OSx crap out xD The stuff I discover by making my computer idle.

Conclusion: If you see you don't need x, y, z fix on the first installation then don't install it.

ilyace

OSX86 used to be such a pain in the ass to run on nVidia chipsets, dunno if it's still that way or if they've made things easier.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
OSX86 used to be such a pain in the ass to run on nVidia chipsets, dunno if it's still that way or if they've made things easier.

There are a few nVidia chipsets supported right now and all nVidia GPU's should work fine I believe... Mine is a backass integrated GPU and it works better than in Windows and Ubuntu.

Hellcat

Contributor
Yeah, nVidia chipset was likely the cause of all trouble the last time I tried.... My current NoteBook is Intel chipset based, so should give lees trouble and more compatibility as (cr)Apple is using those themselfs mostly....

Hmm.... Maybe I'll give it a shot.... just don't wanna do a full reinstall now.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
For those interested Hackintosh doesn't support 3D. So no gaming on OSx unless you have specific GPU's.

(sorry for the bump, discovered that this week)