• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[GUIDE] How to send files to friends over the BitTorrent protocol

RoBz

sucker
2ih2ykz.png

If you need to get some large files from one computer to another remotely, you'll find the BitTorrent protocol is extremely convenient.

This guide will go through the steps to using​

Chathurga

Great guide RoBz, I tried to do this awhile back but couldn't find a clean cut tutorial.
This will definitely come in handy.

Seth

MD Party Room
May I ask why do this when you can use a public tracker ? Do you really gain anything?

Btw Chathurga you chouldent find this Torrent - How to make a Torrent

But none the less great job..

Chathurga

May I ask why do this when you can use a public tracker ? Do you really gain anything?

Btw Chathurga you chouldent find this Torrent - How to make a Torrent

But none the less great job..

Wow I know how to make a torrent Vanden, I'm not that stupid. This guide is for something completely different.
This is for sending files to your friends directly without the public getting involved. BitTorrent is extremely efficient at doing this because if one of you disconnects that's not a problem. Since the BT protocol sends files in tiny chucks, you can just pick up a file right where you left off.

RoBz

sucker
Yes, you gain quite a bit. You avoid involving the public and therefore you avoid wasting your time and bandwidth on random leechers.
More importantly if this is a private file/folder, something like "Pics from Vanden's Bar Mitzvah" you don't want a load of randomers from TPB looking at you coming of age.
Y'know?

Seth

MD Party Room
Wow I know how to make a torrent Vanden, I'm not that stupid. This guide is for something completely different.
This is for sending files to your friends directly without the public getting involved. BitTorrent is extremely efficient at doing this because if one of you disconnects that's not a problem. Since the BT protocol sends files in tiny chucks, you can just pick up a file right where you left off.

Did you just read the title or did you read the article. I by no means tried to call you stupid...But it doesnt really matter now since you got the info anyhow..

The Tracker

RoBz

sucker
Yea I get what your saying.... But unless you upload the torrent they cant get it...But you can still use that tracker... and give the torrent file to all your friends just like you would if your using your Ip..
No, you're wrong in saying that.

Ok, so you create the .torrent file with