• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Guide] Play backups on any Wii without a modchip

twelve

I'm not dead
Playing backups without a Modchip
[fieldset=preface]This guide will show you how to install the backup loader onto your Wii so you can play backups without the need for a modchip.

Edit: Updated to 0.3 gamma[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Requirements]A Nintendo Wii with The Homebrew Channel installed (use Zero's guide here)
An SD Card (and a method to connect it to your PC)
This rar file: (link)
Winrar
20 minutes
[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Preparation]On your PC
  1. Download and install Winrar (not required if you already have Winrar installed)
  2. Download the Rar file mentioned above (link).
  3. Insert your SD card into your reader
  4. Format your SD card using the following settings (capacity will very depending on your card):
    format.jpg
  5. Right click SD.rar and choose Extract Files. In the dialog box that appears select your SD card (Removable Disk (F:) in my example below) and click OK)
    unrar.jpg
  6. Remove the SD card from your PC
[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Installation Process]On your Wii
  1. Insert the SD card into the Wii and remove any Gamecube memory cards that may be inserted.
  2. Turn on your Wii
  3. Launch the Homebrew Channel
Install cIOS36 rev7
[fieldset=Installing cIOS36 rev7]
  • You will see a list of 2 programs. Highlight the top one and Press A to run it.
  • When you see the Disclaimer press A to accept it.
  • This will install cIOS36 rev7
  • Press A to reboot your Wii and follow steps 1-3 above again
[/fieldset]
Install Backup Loader 0.3 gamma
[fieldset=Installing Backup Loader Channel]
  • Highlight the bottom item in the list and press A to run WAD Manager.
  • Press A to accept the Disclaimer
  • Press A again to select the gamma.wad
  • Press + to install it.
  • Press the Home button on your Wii remote to return to the menu
[/fieldset]

If you see a new channel called Wii Backup Loader Channel then congratulations you have successfully set up your Wii to play backups without a modchip.[/fieldset]
[Fieldset=Playing/Burning Games]There are two types of ISOs available of Wii games:
Patched - 3.99GB
Unpatched - 4.37GB

The Wii Backup Loader 0.3 will play both so just make sure the ISO is one of those file sizes.

Burn the ISO to a DVD-R (+R's do work but are less successful) using a slow speed (2x-4x). You can use any burning program you prefer (I have had successful burns using ImgBurn (free download here).

Once you have burnt the disc put it into your Wii, select the backup loader channel and select Start, the disc will then autoboot. If you wish to see the options for the loader than press and hold 1 after selecting start.

4d8ed59e.png

[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Other information]PAL compatibility list
NTSC compatibility list
[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Thanks]Zero - saving me having to right a guide for installing the homebrew channel
Matt - Pointing out DVDx is no longer needed and 0.3 gamma released[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Requirements]A Nintendo Wii with The Homebrew Channel installed (use Zero's guide here)
An SD Card (and a method to connect it to your PC)
This rar file: (link)
Winrar
20 minutes
[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Installation Process]On your Wii
  1. Insert the SD card into the Wii and remove any Gamecube memory cards that may be inserted.
  2. Turn on your Wii
  3. Launch the Homebrew Channel
Install cIOS36 rev6
[fieldset=Installing cIOS36 rev6]
  • You will see a list of 3 programs. Highlight the top one and Press A to run it.
  • When you see the Disclaimer press A to accept it.
  • This will install cIOS36 rev6
  • Press A to reboot your Wii and follow steps 1-3 above again
[/fieldset]
Install Backup Loader 0.3
[fieldset=Installing Backup Loader Channel]
  • Highlight the 3rd item in the list and press A to run WAD Manager.
  • Press A to accept the Disclaimer
  • Press A again to select the Backup Launcher 0.3 beta.wad
  • Press + to install it.
  • Press the Home button on your Wii remote to return to the menu
[/fieldset]

If you see a new channel called Wii Backup Loader Channel then congratulations you have successfully set up your Wii to play backups without a modchip.[/fieldset]
[fieldset=Optional]If you wish to install previous version of the Backup Loader you will need to install DVDx (this is included in the SD.rar file).
  • Lanch the Homebrew channel.
  • Highlight the Second Item in the list and press A
  • Select Advanced Install
  • Select IOS249
  • Select Install
  • Select Exit to reboot your Wii

Following that the installation for previous versions of backup loader is the same as for 0.3. Just place the .wad in the folder named "wad" in the root of your SD card.[/fieldset]

matt

No problem. Also, I just found out that a new version was released today. 0.3 gamma.

Info here.

Sounds like the compatabily has gone up a lot.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Can this be done on newly bought Wii's? I may buy another one if you can. (I gave my original Wii away it sucked so bad.)

matt

I got it to work on my friend's 3.3U Wii by installing the homebrew channel and then using Wii Shop and IOS51 installer, so yeah, you should be all set. Get the one by tona toward the bottom of the page. That is the one I used.

Why did your old Wii suck?

Bran

Yell
I'm so doing this as soon as I get to the apartment.

I already have umbrella chronicles downloaded.

twelve

I'm not dead
I downloaded Warioland Shake It, No more Heroes, De Blob and Zack & Wiki last night. All of them work perfect.

Bran

Yell
Oh I forgot about Warioland. I hear the NTSC version does not work, I'm assuming you got the PAL one. My TV works with PAL so whatever I'll get that.

Bran

Yell
What does the patching do? Do I need to patch anything for it to work?

My ISO's are 4.30whatver gigs

matt

I'm pretty sure patching just gets rid of "junk" data on 1:1 iso. It's used a lot to save space when downloading a game. Like twelve said, don't worry about it. Every normal-sized Wii game is 4.37 gigs.