• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Guide] Play backups on any Wii without a modchip

Bran

Yell
I can't get my Umbrella Chronicles to work, It says it failed to read the disk read the Wii manual blah blah.

It says it works on the NTSC compatibility chart, and I got Mario Galaxy to work so I know it's functioning. So any idea why it's not working?

matt

Hey twelve, do you think you could post pictures of the banner and icons for the gamma backup channel? I don't really want to install it on my Wii, as I'm happy with a good one I found myself. I just want to see what it looks like.

Oh, and you might want to consider getting an autoboot channel. That way it boots right into the game after you start the loader. You can press 1 when starting it to load the menu if you want.

I hate to link to other forums, but the third post on this page does a good job with channels. There's quite a variety.

Personally, I used the original blue channel on this page.

bannerlogosr9.jpg

iconimage3rm4.jpg
logochanir1.jpg
It's autoboot is better than the other autoboot channels. Unfortunately there is no force NTSC channel, so if you have a PAL game, you need to go into the menu and change the option every time you play it, as with the channel you have. That hasn't been a problem for me though. I don't have any PAL games. But there is only one autoboot force NTSC channel that I know of, and that is on the page in my first link.

twelve

I'm not dead
Matt said:
Hey twelve, do you think you could post pictures of the banner and icons for the gamma backup channel? I don't really want to install it on my Wii, as I'm happy with a good one I found myself. I just want to see what it looks like.

Oh, and you might want to consider getting an autoboot channel. That way it boots right into the game after you start the loader. You can press 1 when starting it to load the menu if you want.

I hate to link to other forums, but the third post on this page does a good job with channels. There's quite a variety.

Personally, I used the original blue channel on this page.

[qimg]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8615/bannerlogosr9.jpg[/qimg]

[qimg]http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/3252/iconimage3rm4.jpg[/qimg] [qimg]http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5192/logochanir1.jpg[/qimg]
It's autoboot is better than the other autoboot channels. Unfortunately there is no force NTSC channel, so if you have a PAL game, you need to go into the menu and change the option every time you play it, as with the channel you have. That hasn't been a problem for me though. I don't have any PAL games. But there is only one autoboot force NTSC channel that I know of, and that is on the page in my first link.
The channel is this one, it's kinda fugly IMO (was the first channel I found). When I've got some time I'll get one of the prettier ones from that link.
a0f16342.jpg

It's also already an autoboot. Hold 1 for menu otherwise it just loads the backup.

Edit: updated

Bran

Yell
Are these loaders any diffrent or are they just prettyer?

And I'm using DVD-R. I have Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy that work so far but not the Resident Evil: UC. It's not horribly pressing I was just wondering.

matt

All of these loaders are v0.3 gamma, but they have different banners and icons. The only part that isn't about being prettier is autoboot. You will definitely want an autoboot version.

Proxin

The guide is very useful, however I am receiving an error upon the CIOS installation.

It downloads everything allright, but the installation tells me after it's done downloading 15 files, "install returned -1" and after a short while returns me to the HBC. I then try the Wadmanager, press A to accept, select Gamma.wad, press A to accept, and upon installing ticket I get an error that says ERROR! (ret = -2011).
Don't know if this means a lot, but I also receive an error -2011 when installing DVDx installer.
A second thing that might be contributing to the problem is that my Homebrew Channel always has the cursor upside down...? I don't know why this is but it's started doing this recently, and it's only on the Homebrew Channel, nothing else.

*Edit: Fixed the problem. Will the backup loader allow me to play movies on DVD? If so, how can I do this? I'm a bit confused

Javathon

Help!

I some how deleted to gamma channel from my wii. How can I get it back?Itried to re-install everything but it failed and said I already had CIsO or whatever.

Make a long story short My memmory was formatted and backup wouldn't work so.....:(

Bran

Yell
Javathon said:
I some how deleted to gamma channel from my wii. How can I get it back?Itried to re-install everything but it failed and said I already had CIsO or whatever.

Make a long story short My memmory was formatted and backup wouldn't work so.....:(
Did you update the Wii? If so you are SOL

twelve

I'm not dead
If it is saying you already have cios installed then all you need to do is start WAD Manager and install the backup loader channel again.

Javathon

I tried it, when press + to install I get an error (1029 I think) if press - to uninstall I get an error. I figured maybe uninstalling then re installing but I get an error either way. Should I format my wii or downgrade to 3.2?

Bran

Yell
twelve said:
The channel is this one, it's kinda fugly IMO (was the first channel I found). When I've got some time I'll get one of the prettier ones from that link.
[qimg]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c71/nvqphil/a0f16342.jpg[/qimg]

It's also already an autoboot. Hold 1 for menu otherwise it just loads the backup.

Edit: updated
Can I just install the pretty one over the old one or do I have to delete the ugly one first?

Javathon

Forget it, I search high and low. I disaited to format my wii, and start from scratch. I re-installed HBC and I still have the same problem. If I try to install the gamma I get error 1029 and if I try to uninstall I get error 106. Can any one help?

Javathon

I figured it out! The first thing I had to uninstall the cIOS after that I was able to re do the guide and I worked! I used cIOS uninstaller v1.0 because v1.1 failed. I think it's because of the cIOS version I had installed from this guide.

twelve

I'm not dead
z357x said:
Can I just install the pretty one over the old one or do I have to delete the ugly one first?
I think it will create an extra channel if you don't take the ugly one off. Luckily removing the old one can be done through the wii settings menu.