• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[GUIDE] Running PSX Games on Your PSP [POPS]

Adiuvo

[Fieldset=Introduction]One of the favorite features of the PSP is the ability for it to run PSX (Playstation One) games. But, Sony's support for this on the Europe and USA PSN store has been lackluster at best. So, the homebrew community has stepped up and created a few applications that allow you to create your own from ISO files or physical disks. This guide will explain how to do that in an easy to read (hopefully) fashion.[/fieldset]
[FIELDSET="Files Needed"]RS-GUI- Needed to convert the ISO files. Will allow you to convert multi disk PSX games as well.
WINRAR- Needed to extract RS-GUI.
USB Cable- Needed to transfer files.
PSP- System guide is written for. Any model will do, but it must be on firmware 5.01M33 for the best results.
ISO File- Needed for converting. A physical disk must be converted to such before converting. Separate instructions for that are included below.[/FIELDSET]
[FIELDSET="Converting ISO Files"]
  • Once you download RS-GUI, and the ISO file(s) of your choice, extract RS-GUI using WINRAR. Run the file called 'RS-GUI PopStationMD' to bring up the main application menu.
RSGUI.jpg
  • From there, use the 'Select First CD,' 'Select Second CD', etc. dialogs to choose the respective ISO files. After that, choose the game title and code from the list under 'Choose,' or input it manually if you already know it. Alter the compression values if you wish, where one is the least compression but best preformance, and nine is the opposite. Usually however, nine will provide good preformance regardless. At this point, you can create the needed PBP file using the 'MAKE' button.
  • You can also add custom icons for the game, using the 'Extras' menu.
    Extrasmenu.jpg
    • ICON0 is the small icon you see when browsing the game section of your PSP, and has to be 144x80 in resolution. PIC0 is the information section you usually see in retail games, and has to be 310x180 in resolution. PIC1 is the main background image, and has to be 480x272 in resolution. BOOT is the image you see when the game starts, ICON1 is the video that plays when the game is hovered over, and SND0 is the music that plays. Just use the 'Browse' button to add these items to your EBOOT.
  • After the PBP file is made, browse to the directory you set as output. The default is in the 'data' directory in the folder where 'RS-GUI PopStationMD' is. From there, you will need to create another folder, with it's name being the same as the game's you converted. Move the PBP file into that folder, and connect your PSP using the USB cable. Drop the whole folder you created into the PSP/GAME folder on your PSP. Disconnect your PSP, and browse to the GAME section in the XMB (main menu of the PSP). Your game will now be under there, and start it like any other.
[/FIELDSET]
[FIELDSET="Credits"]Adiuvo- Created the Guide
Red_Squirrel- The RS-GUI Converting Program
Dark-Alex- The POPS System
Sony- The PSP[/FIELDSET]

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
I'm having a lot of trouble making the eboot, i keep getting the error "Some error occurred", i thought it was the program so i used impaler psx and still get the error.

I thought it was the iso which was torrented so i ripped my own and STILL get the error.

Final fantasy VIII, also tried IX

Any suggestions?

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Did you try manually selecting an ID code?

Yeah but never mind i got it fixed. I had to download the two .dll files even though i had it installed on the comp.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated. :)

chrono6456

So how do multi disk game work? What happens when you get to the boiler room in MGS for example, how would you swap disk?

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
When i want to customize the eboot, it says "The selected EBOOT doesn't appear to be valid! (PSAR Header not found)"

What does this mean?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I would assume reload them into what you built it with and rip the iso from there. Usually most converters Have a Rip from Eboot option too.

insane

@TRIGUN Thanks for you help But the end result I am looking for is:
disk1.iso, disk2.iso, disk3.iso, disk4.iso not onehugemiltidiskiso.iso
basically I would like to play this game on my ps2.

Moose

Meta Moose
OK. I'm sorry? I just didn't see any reason to start a new thread about a related topic that's probably only going to get 4 reply's.

I didn't realise your post was a question, I thought you were criticising the guide. You would probably be better of creating a new topic, this one is unrelated to running ISOs on a PS2.