• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Guide] Ultimate Jailbreaking Guide

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="PLEASE READ"][HIGHLIGHT]Update[/HIGHLIGHT]: Well, the guide is nearly complete [Just a couple of sections left to finish, and finding download links]. If you see a category with a [STRIKE]strikeout[/STRIKE], that means it is not fully complete yet.
[HIGHLIGHT]
Update 2[/HIGHLIGHT]: With the guide near completion, I know there are a lot of spots that could be improved upon, worded better, or simple feedback and suggestions.

Posts are now OPEN to comments, feedback, suggestions, anything.

[HIGHLIGHT]Update 3[/HIGHLIGHT]: I finished all the IPSW Download links to their designated direct download link. I have also REMOVED the 3.0 IPSW for iPod Touch for legal reasons.
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Table Of Contents"]
1. Intro
2. Things Needed Before Jailbreaking
3. Jailbreaking Programs
Blackra1n
QuickPwn
PwnageTool​
4. Official IPSW Download
iPod Touch 1G/2G/3G IPSW
iPhone Touch 3G/3GS IPSW​
5. How To Use
6. [STRIKE]Other Information[/STRIKE]
7. [STRIKE]Credits/Thank You[/STRIKE]
8. Upcoming iPod/iPhone Guides[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="Intro"]What is jailbreaking?

In short, jailbreaking an iPod/iPhone allows a user to access new areas on their device allowing them to install and use third-party programs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What does that mean?

After jailbreaking your device, you will notice a new program called "Cydia". What is so special about that program? Well, let's just say this. All that hard work jailbreaking your device... Cydia is the end result. Whenever the user opens up the "Cydia" application, they are then in charge of browsing multiple sections ranging from "Multimedia", "Games", "Themes", "System Tools", "Utilities", and so on.
How is jailbreaking done, and how does it work?

Well, there are multiple of ways and programs around on the net that basically offer you all the same function. Making a custom firmware (IPSW), and replacing it with the one on your device.
Is it safe?

Well, let me put it this way. Since you are using the ORIGINAL IPSW update from Apple, and running it through a program to make it a CUSTOM IPSW to place on your device if it were ever to mess up, glitch up, or not work at all, or anything! It can easily be fixed by:
  1. Hook your device to the computer
  2. Navigate to the device screen in iTunes
  3. Press and hold SHIFT and right click restore
  4. Browse your computer and locate the ORIGINAL IPSW and open it
  5. Let iTunes do the rest of the work, restoring your device to it's original, unjailbroken form
NOTE: There has NOT been a case of a broken/bricked/whatever of an iPod/iPhone because of jailbreaking.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="Find iPod/iPhone Generation"]
If you are using an iPod Touch:
Method 1: Speaker Test

Does it have an external speaker?
If yes, it's an iPod Touch 2G
If no, it's an iPod Touch 1G

If you are using an iPhone:

Method 1: Camera Test

Is your iPhone's camera 2 megapixels?
If yes, it's an iPhone 3G
Is your iPhone's camera 3 megapixels?
If yes, it's an iPhone 3GS
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Current Firmware"]
How to find out firmware:
  1. Connect your device to iTunes and let it load
  2. Navigating to the device screen and read the following
Name: Your device name
Capacity: Size of device
Software Version: YOUR DEVICE FIRMWARE
Serial Number: Your device serial number​
Alternative Method Thanks To: Seth
When viewing the iPod/iPhone springboard, simply:
  1. Open up "Settings"
  2. Then, open "General"
  3. On top of the general page, open "About"
  4. Scroll down if needed until you find "Version"
The number next to Version identifies your current Firmware
[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="Jailbreaking Programs"]
BlackRa1n (Recommended!)
QuickPwn 3.0 Beta (Second Recommended!)
PwnageTool 3.1.4 (Mac Only!)
Note: Only for iPhone 2G/3G/3GS and iPod Touch 1G/2G (iPod touch 3G is NOT supported)
[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
[FIELDSET="Official IPSW Download"]iPod Touch Official IPSW Download

[strike]iPod Touch 1G (3.0/7A341) [/strike] Link won't be provided.
iPod Touch 1G (3.1.2/7D11)

iPod Touch 2G (2.1.1/5F138)
iPod Touch 2G (2.2.1/5H11a)
iPod Touch 2G (2.2/5G77a)
[strike]Pod Touch 2G (3.0/7A341)[/strike] Link won't be provided.
iPod Touch 2G (3.1.2/7D11)
iPod Touch 3G (3.1.2/7D11)

iPhone Official IPSW Download

iPhone 3G (3.0/7A341)
iPhone 3G (3.1.2/7D11)

iPhone 3GS (3.1.2/7D11)
[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
How To Use Blackra1n

[FIELDSET="A little about blackra1n"]
Blackra1n is one of the newest and best jailbreaking program that has yet been released. When people were first jailbreaking, it was a pain trying to make sure everything was setup correct and even more of a pain in the ass to get your device in DFU Mode correctly. Thanks to the release of Blackra1n, those hassles are forgot about! How you may ask? Easy. By clicking ONE simple button
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Jailbreaking Directions"]
Step 1: Update iTunes to the latest version available
Step 2: Download Blackra1n from here
Step 3: Plug your iPod/iPhone into the computer
Step 4: Launch Blackra1n and click the ONLY button, "Make it ra1n"
Step 5: Your device should reboot and show a picture of GeoHot
Step 6: Do nothing still. Blackra1n should still be working on your device. Just wait for the reboot

After device is jailbroken and has rebooted

Step 1: Once you can finally see the springboard, you should notice a black raindrop labeled "blackra1n". Click it
Step 2: Once the blackra1n application is open it will ask you to select an application to install. I would recommend "Cydia" only.
Step 3: Once Cydia is done installing and the springboard resprings again, open the blackra1n application once more.
Step 4: Scrolling all the way down, you should see "Uninstall blackra1n". Click it and uninstall
Step 5: Reboot your device and enjoy!
[/FIELDSET]

[xBlean says: I have used this program and can insure it that it works correctly, and one of the easiest ways to jailbreak]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
How To Use QuickPwn

[FIELDSET="A little about QuickPwn"]
Well, this is the first program I used to jailbreak. It was pretty decent but it required a lot of manual work like: finding the correct IPSW, making sure it's for the right device, and making sure that you put the device into DFU Mode manually. While this program is still out, it's releases are lacking now since Blackra1n came out. So, why am I telling you about QuickPwn? Well, some people like it better doing the work themselves, and as one of the early jailbreaking methods I think it should atleast be mentioned. ALSO! At the end of the guide, I will also put in a little secret on how to change the boot screen and recovery screen to be added in when you jailbreak.
[/FIELDSET]

Directions soon to come

[/FIELDSET]

[xBlean says: I have used this program and can insure it that it works correctly]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
How To Use PwnageTools (Mac Only!)
[FIELDSET="PLEASE NOTE"]Well, since I am using Windows 7, and not a Mac, I have to pull the directions off the internet somewhere. Since I don't know much about Macs, or how it's jailbroken on here, I will also provide a link to the original guide and a video from YouTube[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="A little about PwnageTool"]
Information Soon To Come
[/FIELDSET]

Information Soon To Come
[/FIELDSET]

[xBlean says: I HAVE NOT used this program to jailbreak, so I do not know how easy, reliable, or anything is about it.]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
Credits/Thank You

[FIELDSET="Credits"][/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Thank You"]Listed here is a list of members who has contributed information for this guide:

Seth
--- Notified me about the cost of iPod/iPhone IPSW 3.1.. Price: $5 in iTunes
--- Also mentioned about the alternative way to finding your current firmware[/FIELDSET]

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
Upcoming iPod/iPhone Guides

[FIELDSET="Now that you have a jailbroken iPod, let's learn about Cydia better"]Well, as some of you may or may not know, the main reason for jailbreaking is to add the application, Cydia. In simple terms, Cydia is the source for all your third-party applications. I will show you the trick and tips of setting up, running, and using Cydia[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Must Needed Applications From Cydia"]Cydia offers a wide range of applications, themes, tools, utilities, everything! Don't know where to start downloading applications? Don't know the ones that are suggested as a "Cydia Must Need"?, or just curious about what all Cydia has to offer. I will gladly help you along the way[/FIELDSET]

[[[[[[More To Come!]]]]]]

EvilSeph

Administrator
Any posts made in this thread by anyone but the OP while it is being worked on will likely be deleted. Please allow the OP time to complete the guide before posting in here. Thank you for your understanding.

Seth

MD Party Room
[HIGHLIGHT]Note: Download links soon to come[/HIGHLIGHT]

[FIELDSET="Official IPSW Download"]iPod Touch Official IPSW Download

iPhone Official IPSW Download
[/FIELDSET]

Sorry to Post on your thread but I just thought I say you cant post the Ipod Touch IPSW seeing as they cost money to download. But I going to leave it up to the staff if they will allow you to post them. ( Note 3.1 cost 5 bucks on Itunes)

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

[FIELDSET="Find iPod/iPhone Generation"]
If you are using an iPod Touch:

If you are using an iPhone:

[/INDENT][/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="Current Firmware"]How to find out:
  1. Connect your device to iTunes and let it load
  2. Navigating to the device screen and read the following
Name: Your device name
Capacity: Size of device
Software Version: YOUR DEVICE FIRMWARE
Serial Number: Your device serial number​
[/FIELDSET]
Also to note that it is possible to to check your firmware right on the Ipod Touch it self. settings>about Hope you find this helpful.

eXo.Gear

凸'へ'凸 [A.K.A] xBlean
Thank you for that information. =]! Guide has been updated with your information and your name has also been added to the new "Thank you" list. xD