• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Happy Belated Birthday to us; presents for you!

EvilSeph

Administrator
Our one year anniversary passed without any mention and the calls for activity resounded throughout the community - and we heard you. While you can almost always find us preaching that we're "always working on improvements to our M for Mature", nothing really gets that point across like a nice announcement of things we've been working on. So, that being said, I'll just get right to it.

Selective Forum Filter
Here at M for Mature, we're all about giving you as much control and freedom as is sane to do (read: it doesn't drive our staff insane or result in Armageddon). So, if you find yourself bombarded with content you have no interest in, we're going to make it disappear. Poof. Gone. Just like that.

Or if you're one of those people who absolutely despises clutter or just have to take a look at every new post, whether you are interested in the topic or not, then we think you deserve a break.

With this new feature we've implemented, you have the power to make entire forums disappear (only for yourself, sorry ;)). When you've selected a forum or some forums to hide, they'll be hidden not only from the forum navigation itself, but from new posts searches too - effectively causing entire forums to disappear before your eyes, unless you decide to visit them directly (but who would hide a forum they'll want to visit?) or need to search through them for whatever insane reason.

So how do you go about exercising your Godly powers to make whole forums disappear in the blink of an eye? It's simple.

Simply go to your UserCP Options and scoll down until you see something like this:
mfm_forumfilter_usercoptions.png

Then you simply select whatever forums you want to hide (hold down ctrl to select multiple forums) and save your settings. Easy.

Now all those annoying threads from that section on our forums you despise won't clutter your new posts searches and you can browse your MfM in peace.

If you're like me and end up wondering who the original poster is (that would be me, EvilSeph, by the way) when browsing through a thread (because you're distracted or have a terrible memory) by the time you get to the bottom, you're in luck. Every time you see this image:
thread_starter.png
you'll know that that person is the thread starter and all those comments people made will suddenly make sense. It's like magic.

I mean, seriously, how often have you found yourself coming across a great idea posted in our forums in a thread filled with replies. You then take the time to read through all the replies to make sure your points haven't been made already and when you get to the end of the thread, you've forgotten who you should be addressing your post to. In a small, 1 page thread, this isn't really a problem - although scrolling up can still be annoying if you have to do it a lot. Take a thread that spans across 20+ pages and you'll be thankful for this new feature as you'll no longer have to go all the way back to Page 1 just to find out who the thread starter is.

Personally? I come across this problem all the time. To make matters worse, I even have my posts per page set ridiculously high, so just imagine how annoying it is for those people who haven't discovered you can change how many posts are displayed per page?

I honestly think you'll have to experience the benefits of this little change to truly understand why it is so cool. You can call me out on it later if that isn't the case but I'm sure you'll like this feature even if you don't initially. I think you'll definitely miss it if it were to suddenly disappear after having been exposed to it for a while.

I'd include a screenshot, but you can just look at this thread to see the magic in action.

Staff Posts
Stepped foot into one of those damn PSP crash = exploit or PSP rumour threads again? You must be insane.

We at M for Mature pride ourselves on providing accurate and valid information whenever possible.

If there's a rumour going around an we know the truth behind it, we usually squash the rumour and correct the beliefs around it. If someone claims they've found an exploit for the PSP, we have PSP experts and developers on staff who will know for sure if it is true or not. Usually it takes some scrolling to get to the valid information we provide and sometimes you even completely browse right past our posts.

Regardless of the situation, you can almost be certain to find a straightforward, accurate and professional response from our staff in any thread that requires it. So, if you've looked through a thread and are confused by the information, just look for this image:
stafftracker.png
and you'll be able to go directly to posts made by our staff simply by clicking on it.

So, the next time someone posts a download to some new program and you're not sure if you can trust it, wait for a post from one of our staff to be sure. An easy way to check if one of our staff members has posted in a thread is to look at the thread list:
mfm_stafftrack_threadlist.png

If you see that same icon (
stafftracker.png
), you'll know that we've posted in the thread without even having to open it.

Now that I've gotten all the fun stuff out of the way: one of the reasons implementing these things takes time is simply because we're not sure how you, our community, would react to them and we really want to please you.

The best part is: this is just the beginning. We're hoping to unveil more of the super secret projects we've been working on soon and look forward to your reactions. So, while we apologise for the delay in getting our projects released, I think you'll understand if we choose to continue caring about what you guys want and what you'll think of the things we come up with.

In fact, we were going to include a few more features in this release/announcement but, I mean, this one is large enough with just 3 features being announced, let alone 5 or 6...

A lot of these things were brought to our attention by several of our very own members, so we do listen to everything you say in each of our many feedback posts and get right to working on bringing those ideas to reality. That being said, please keep the ideas, suggestions, constructive criticism and praises coming as we really appreciate it and it gives us the drive we need to get things done for you.

Remember: M for Mature is not my community and I do not decide how it'll turn out. M for Mature is our community. And we make our home what it is, together.

Thanks for sticking with us since the beginning. There is really no other way to show how much you guys care (well, except maybe donating ;) - just kidding!)

P.S. Miss me? ;)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Happy birthday :D Awesome new features.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
It's been a year all ready? damn! seems like a lot less.

Adiuvo

It really does hardly seem like a year.

The hide forum thing is really useful, too bad I can't use it lest I ignore the threads that need the most watching over :p