• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year to all!

EvilSeph

Administrator
How quickly time passes. Would you believe we've been around for just over a year already? M for Mature was created in October 2008 and here we are today, December 30th 2009, looking really different and offering so much more. As a thank you for your loyalty and support, we have a few presents for you guys in our community that we think you'll enjoy - especially since you've been asking for some of these things for a while now.

MfM Developer Tools
In line with M for Mature's push for support of Developers, we're happy to unveil the first part of our MfM Developer Tools to the public. At launch, we'll have a few projects in the system to show you how beneficial it is for people to use and will be adding more in the near future:
MfM Gamercards
MfM Feedback

These "project tools" enable Developers to better and more easily track their progress, bug reports and feature requests while providing the Developer's users with informative responses on whether or not a bug report has been confirmed and a fix is being worked on or a feature request has been accepted, etc. While I could most likely write a whole lot of text on why this second phase of MfM's Developer Tools will become incredibly useful to Developers, I think it is best if you see it for yourself.

Shop(s), awards and points
If you take a look around, you'll notice a few new things on our forums that some of you may consider bloat. But fear not! We will be fine-tuning the system to present the most stream-lined, yet useful implementation we can of our new shop(s), awards, points and activities system.

A lot of you have been wanting "something" to entice you to get involved in the community and we think we have the answer. With the introduction of this new system, you'll be earning points and awards based on your contributions throughout the community while maintaining the look and feel we strive for M for Mature to have.

So, once you've had a few days to check out the new system, please let us know what you think and we'll see what we can do to make things better.

The Last Word
TheLastWord.png

Here it is, the one thing you've all been asking for: The Last Word. I am confident in saying that pretty much all of you have been waiting for M for Mature to do this and believe you will find it a perfect present for Christmas and to begin the New Year. So, just what is The Last Word?

Every single time, without fail, we ask for feedback from the community on what they want us to offer, this comes up. While we strive to bring you guys what you want, some things take time and we're reluctant to announce something until we have it within our hands, ready for your consumption. This results in some requests being given the official "We'll look into it" with little more else and can become frustrating to you guys when it is the only answer we feel comfortable giving - well, no more.

The Last Word is M for Mature's answer to your call for reviews. Shortly after this announcement, we'll be publishing our very first of - what we hope to be - many The Last Word articles covering new games, older games and maybe even things that aren't games. When we do finally publish our first review, we hope you'll bombard us with feedback so that we may improve on our offerings and gauge whether or not we've met your expectations.

Thanks goes out to MenaceInc for the TLW banner :)!

In closing, we'd like to personally recognise all our Donators for their monetary contributions:
Hellcat, Twelve, Bossmanuk, MiKeY188, Nimsical, Slasher, Serideth, EvilSeph, madsoul, Jordan, Andy, Seth, !Kernel Panic!, DrLame, Cloudy, January39, Lampworker, Davee, acidmc, Nevada, MenaceInc, Robby, Moose, Pirata Nervo, stadicon

Thank you all for your donations, they are all much appreciated.

Happy Holidays and a prosperous New Year everyone, from myself and the rest of the M for Mature staff! While we've spent a lot of time working to make things meet the expectations of our community, we will likely continuously be working on each "present" moving forward, so any feedback on them is much appreciated.

xploren

Contributor
The new user info bar looks terrible, like QJ's. Return it to its original form if possible, no point in adding stuff there if you can see it at the user's profile. Also, you're better off using the original concept for the banner. Menace's edit is - no offense - terrible.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Gotta study this new system before giving any feedback :p

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The new user info bar looks terrible, like QJ's. Return it to its original form if possible, no point in adding stuff there if you can see it at the user's profile. Also, you're better off using the original concept for the banner. Menace's edit is - no offense - terrible.

We were trying to combine the idea that we had for the original banner with what Moose presented (which IIRC was the only idea put forward). There were many edits done on this with consulting various members of the forums for comments and ideas on colours, placement,etc. If the situation with a banner was kept the way it was, the review would of been unreleased.
What in particular did you find terrible about it though? I could go back to it and maybe see if I can edit it to suit the community more.

The only thing I can say I don't like about the update to the forums is the bars immediately beneath the username. I do like the achievements system though. As for the shop or whatnot, I haven't had a chance to run through it just yet.

xploren

Contributor
What in particular did you find terrible about it though? I could go back to it and maybe see if I can edit it to suit the community more.

It's way too blurry, for one. Very disorienting to the eyes, especially when you read the red text. There's too much of a difference between the normal text and the blurry text. The colors are off too, though I don't really know how to describe it. That judge looks quite out-of-place too.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
cool. look forward to reading the review.(probably in google reader now! lol)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
It's way too blurry, for one. Very disorienting to the eyes, especially when you read the red text. There's too much of a difference between the normal text and the blurry text. The colors are off too, though I don't really know how to describe it. That judge looks quite out-of-place too.

Hmm, fair enough criticism. Thanks. The colours aren't intended for the forum as such because the background colour of the forums is darker but if you check out the mainpage, you'll see the background colour for the banner and the article background are the same. I'll throw a PM your way to stop this thread getting to clogged up.

Seth

MD Party Room
For a second I thought I was I was becoming a contributor lol...

Why do I get points for Infractions?

It says I got 200 lol

Seth

MD Party Room
I saw seth and contributions then decided to read the rest of the sentence.

Seth

MD Party Room
Like I said I kinda skipped over that part at first.

Moose

Meta Moose
Just an idea, could there be a something that tells you why you got/lost points?

In your Profile, around where visitor messages are, there is a tab that says Experience (and another that says Activities), where you can learn all about how you got your points, lost them, etc. :)

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Hmm, fair enough criticism. Thanks. The colours aren't intended for the forum as such because the background colour of the forums is darker but if you check out the mainpage, you'll see the background colour for the banner and the article background are the same. I'll throw a PM your way to stop this thread getting to clogged up.

Sorry for contributing, but I think the "The Last Word" that's in red would be a lot cooler and blend in more if it was this color:

screenshot8lz.png

(HTML color 3c939c)

Then, the M on the stand be rotated clockwise a tid bit, and the letters sharpened a little bit (Or not blurred as much).

That's just my two or three cents, other than that I like it.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Sorry for contributing, but I think the "The Last Word" that's in red would be a lot cooler and blend in more if it was this color:

[qimg]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6523/screenshot8lz.png[/qimg]

(HTML color 3c939c)

Then, the M on the stand be rotated clockwise a tid bit, and the letters sharpened a little bit (Or not blurred as much).

That's just my two or three cents, other than that I like it.

hmm...the light blue would be a good idea...I'll revisit when I've time, I haven't been at my computer really the last while.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
hmm...the light blue would be a good idea...I'll revisit when I've time, I haven't been at my computer really the last while.

The reason I thought about it that way is because I associate that color with MfM, and I'm sure a lot of other people do. So, when you have the focus of the image as the same color that we see every time we log in, we automatically classify it as MfM, and we think the content will be MfM-quality content.