• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Hard Drive (Internal)Upgrade/Backing up questions

sakurasanta86

I have had a 40gb ps3 for over a year now and I have got to the point where space is an issue. I frequently have to delete one games data to play another, delete a PSN game for a demo, etc. I think its time I upgraded to a new hard drive but would like some input from people here that have already done it. These are my main points of concern:

1. What type do I need? I have read some stuff online and I got an idea of what I need, but there seems to be some debate on it, like 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM.
2. Would someone mind linking me to a good one? I am looking at the $100(max) price range an 160gb or more if possible.
3. I have a ton of various data on my ps3 and know I need to back it up before upgrading. My only storage devices are my Laptop(mac if it matters) and my PSP. Would either of those work for everything?
4. I have done a fair amount of trading with PSN and have lost contact with some people I have traded with. Can I backup the game on a storage device or do I need to re-download the game from them?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Gamer Steve

I believe you can get a TB for around the price your looking for....which is way more than 160gb...check best buy or maybe even best buy

I believe you can upgrade internal. But some computer skills are required for installing firmware and so on which I have not done for the PS3.
Or just stick to external solution, 1TB or 2TB not SSDs are relatively cheap those days too.

NocturnalNL

I did nothing in regards to firmware, just slapped it in the PS3, formatted after that with the ps3 and it was good to go.