• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

HDMI, DVI, component, SCART switch?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Not 100% sure if it is a switch I'd want, it might be a receiver but I'm not too certain what other catagory this would fit into.

What I want is something which will be able to accept HDMI, component, SCART and DVI, let you select which to pass through at a single time and output to DVI and RCA.

Any ideas?

I have seen DVI switches on Amazon like this one but that would leave me unable to play the PS2 and Gamecube (PS2 uses component, Gamecube uses RGB SCART).

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
You need either a switch or a (A/V) router. I know a few products that are capable of what you described exactly (except SCART since we don't use that in North America), but they are commercial grade and really expensive (in thousands range).

My advice is to find a common source for the devices (make everything use DVI for example)and buy a switch based on that since it will be far cheaper to rebuy input cables(and/or adaptors) then the exact switch you want.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
You need either a switch or a (A/V) router. I know a few products that are capable of what you described exactly (except SCART since we don't use that in North America), but they are commercial grade and really expensive (in thousands range).

My advice is to find a common source for the devices (make everything use DVI for example)and buy a switch based on that since it will be far cheaper to rebuy input cables(and/or adaptors) then the exact switch you want.

That's what I thought.
The xbox 360 can be hooked up via DVI with no problem but that leaves the PS2 and Gamecube.
I'm fairly sure that RGB SCART can be converted to VGA so that might make for an interesting soldering project during the summer.
Honestly though, I think it will have to be a custom job since I'd have to switch off the DVI to switch to VGA.
Make my own switch with two outputs, one VGA and the other DVI....make it so that turning on a DVI source turns off the VGA source and vice versa.