• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 hdmi vs composite vs pc connector

F15A

Initially I connected my PS3 with composite and Killzone 2 had dark vivid colors. Now I'm on HDMI and it doesn't look much different. I mean the game doesn't look like youtube videos, my game has richer and darker colors but its different from the xbox 360.

I use a pc connector for the xbox 360 and the colors look cleaner, not washed out but more natural. BTW my tv is a samsung ln-s2351.

I don't want to say it bothers me but I wonder if anyone gets what Im trying to describe. Its like oranges and reds are hyper deep colors unless the game was made that way. Blu-ray movie looks good (superman II to date).

elite

Oldie moldie
Normally, the picture quality should be like this.

1 - HDMI
2 - PC Connector
3 - Composite

LocutusEstBorg

There should be no perceptible difference between D-SUB (PC connector) and HDMI unless the cable is too damaged/long. HDMI and D-SUB can deliver full range color unlike the component output on most devices which don't.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
There should be no perceptible difference between D-SUB (PC connector) and HDMI unless the cable is too damaged/long. HDMI and D-SUB can deliver full range color unlike the component output on most devices which don't.

If you're referring to a VGA D-SUB connection then there is a slight difference since the VGA signal is an analog signal. It tends to be subject to processing by the display which can better or worsen the image (more likely worsen). With DVI or HDMI, there is a massive difference in image quality. I have one monitor hooked up via DVI and the other by VGA. The details on the DVI monitor look waaaaay better, even after messing around with the settings. I should get a HDMI cable though and replace the VGA cable. Can't be bothered xD

LocutusEstBorg

That's a misconception. It's quite the opposite. The signal in HDMI/DVI is very similar to Y Pr Pb in component. It's entirely up to the TV to do the color conversion & space expansion (or compression in the case of TVs). VGA actually has a fixed palette where the source tells the monitor exactly what RGB value the pixel should be. The only drawback is horizontal/vertical sync is manual/approximated in VGA. Since most TVs are too crappy to display the entire range of the VGA signal, the image gets molested by whatever algorithm someone though looked best on that screen. Unless you have two of the exact same monitors there is no meaning in comparing VGA and DVI/HDMI. Main advantage of HDMI is the output will look good even if the source image has a higher color depth that the screen is capable of displaying because of the TV side conversion.