• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help for a new phone!

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
Ok so after buying my snooker table i have some money to buy a phone.

What do you guys think of the google G1? is tmobile any good as i hear O2 is the best for uk customers?
So if i bought the phone could i unlock it so i can use it on O2 sims?

What do you guys think i should get?

I also understand in some cases you can get a free laptop when you go contract? that correct?

Moose

Meta Moose
As far as I know Vodafone have the most coverage in the UK, not O2.

Contracts that give you a free laptop will more than likely be 24 month ones... if you don't mind being tied to a 24 month contract then it's a pretty good deal, otherwise I would stay away from them. (I'm on a 24 month btw.)

Moose

Meta Moose
My friend has it and I'm jealous to say the least. My Nokia 5800 is poor in comparison. =/

I would recommend it from what I have seen. However, if you want to be on Vodafone (best coverage) then they just introduced deals with the HTC Magic (same manufacturer as the G1) which uses Android. It is basically a slimmer version of the G1 without the QWERTY keyboard.

Seth

MD Party Room
From what I read the G1 will work with o2 , but unlocking is never cheap. Can you tell us what you like do with your new phone,so we can better help you pick it.

Do you use data? Do you want full Html browsers?
Do you Text? Do you want a full keyboard? Does it matter if it a Touch screen keyboard?
To you want Apps( Iphone,Android,blackberrey,plam)
Do you care about battery life?
Do you care about style?
Do you have a price range?

Moose

Meta Moose
Another thing to note is the battery life of the battery that is supplied with the G1 is very short if you intend to use it often for things like browsing the web, etc. Having 3G enabled and GPS drains it fast.

Seth

MD Party Room
Another thing to note is the battery life of the battery that is supplied with the G1 is very short if you intend to use it often for things like browsing the web, etc. Having 3G enabled and GPS drains it fast.

Hell even if you leave it alone the standby time is quite horrible to..

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
From what I read the G1 will work with o2 , but unlocking is never cheap. Can you tell us what you like do with your new phone,so we can better help you pick it.

Do you use data? Do you want full Html browsers?
Do you Text? Do you want a full keyboard? Does it matter if it a Touch screen keyboard?
To you want Apps( Iphone,Android,blackberrey,plam)
Do you care about battery life?
Do you care about style?
Do you have a price range?

Full HTML browser would be cool
Yes i text, the keyboard doesnt bother me much. It doesnt matter if its touch or not.
Apps are always nice to have.
Good battery life would be nice.
Style in what way?
No price range.

Seth

MD Party Room
Full HTML browser would be cool
Yes i text, the keyboard doesnt bother me much. It doesnt matter if its touch or not.
Apps are always nice to have.
Good battery life would be nice.
Style in what way?
No price range.

Style in how the phone looks.

Btw I feel you guys get way better deals on your phones over there.But the Sony x1 is a very good phone and it what a recommending to you..

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/Sony_Ericsson/X1?lastPage=/mobile_phones/Pay_Monthly/viewall

Phone specs here Xperia X1 from Sony Ericsson