• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Help] Installing OSX on a new HDD (Macbook 13")

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
My friend recently dropped his macbook and required a new HDD, so I purchased one for him. He got it in today and it seems to fit properly. Now comes our problem, he needs to install OSX on it. He does not have his recovery disc (lesson kids, save your discs) so I downloaded the Snow Leopard Dev Preview for him to try out. It came as a .cdr which I simply renamed to .iso and burned using MagicISO onto my DL DVD.

Here's the problem:
1) I cannot for the life of me install OSX onto the HDD. I've tried holding "C" during bootup to enter the disk utility but nothing is popping up. Instead it seems to read from the DVD and gives me the following error screen (part of it is here, if more of it is needed just ask):

imag0130xk9.jpg

If I hold "Alt" during bootup it seems to bring me to a screen showing the DVD in the slot, but once I clck on it it brings up the same error as above after a minute or so.

So my question: Is the problem the HDD or the DVD? I could probably manage running a live cd on the macbook and format it that way? If it's the DVD..well then we're screwed (I have the Leopard .dmg file but can't seem to burn that for the life of me either). So wonderful people, how must I go about fixing this issue?

EDIT: After a google search I think the problem might reside with the DVD and Snow Leopard - I will attempt to install an earlier version (Leopard) on it tomorrow but any other information as to why this is failing would be nice

wally

Developer
It'd be the DVD.

I'd be going to get a copy of Leopard from the Apple Store or contacting Apple to get another copy (will be cheaper this way)

OSX requires a GUID partition table rather than Fat or w/e so you really need Disk utility to do that.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It'd be the DVD.

I'd be going to get a copy of Leopard from the Apple Store or contacting Apple to get another copy (will be cheaper this way)

OSX requires a GUID partition table rather than Fat or w/e so you really need Disk utility to do that.

Alright thanks, that's all I needed to know (an what I thought it was). I'm now just going to burn Leopard since I've managed to grab a program that will finally work with it (the .dmg downloaded version). EDIT: And as I thought, the downloaded copy of Leopard was compressed so my burning programs wouldn't not burn it properly so I'm now decompressing it and hopefully will have a working leopard dvd - no snow leopard though :(