• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help me make up my mind is a DS Lite worth the money?

supaquickt

Interested in purchasing a DS Lite, I'm over in New Zealand and a shops selling them for about ~$110 USD brand new. Sale ends tomorrow though so I'm wondering whether there's a new color, style or something being released soon (hence the price-drop)?

If not I'll probably go pick one up. This is my first venture into the DS scene I'm usually over at the PSP forum. But I'm keen to try the other portable. Also seems like everyone recommends the R4DS for homebrew so should I stick to that? Lastly can anyone give me a few homebrew apps I should definitely try out?

Thanks!

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Nah, there's nothing new coming out, actually, the newer ones, the black and red ones that come with Brain Age, have worse screens than the normal Lites, apparently.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
at about $110 USD, that is a STEAL!

a DS lite in the UK is about $200 USD

supaquickt

Thanks guys, made the purchase I've got the DS Lite just waiting on my R4, 2gb stick & screen protector. All up cost about $195 USD, all brand new. So I'm happy. Looking for homebrew as we speak :) Will keep everyone informed.

supaquickt

Thanks, for the welcome. Now I've got one what are the best games to buy (I'm sitting here playing with pictochat by myself!! haha)?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Some of the games I own (and I'd recommend all of these)

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
Animal Crossing WW
Final Fantasy III
New Super Mario Bros.
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Metroid Prime: Hunters

supaquickt

Thanks I'll take a look. From the reviews/screens etc I can see that this is gonna be a completely different gaming experience than the psp. Looks like gameplay is the major feature of the DS rather than focusing solely on graphics etc like some PSP titles seem to do.

sukhi10

If you looking for an excellent game get super mario 64 ds one of the best platform game of all time not even one psp game can beat this game the other one has to be mario kart ds a legend driving game no one has ever come close to this game pure Nintendo magic, all the games on ds lite are displayed on 2 screens and some games are played by touch screen this brings magic to the portable scene in my opnion ds lite is revolutionary and psp sucks with old gameplay method.

sukhi10

These games must be own on ds lite, not only there are brilliant they play on 2 screens here they are:

sonic rush-uses 2 screens
sonic rush adventure-better than the first one uses 2 screens & touch screen
metroid prime-one of the best fps game on a portable system yet
super mario 64 ds-one of the best 3d platform game ever.
mario kart ds-one of the best legend driving game yet
ridge racer ds-one of the most fun ridge racer game and totally original
new super mario brothers-totally amazing
super jump stars-one of the greatest fighting game on a portable system yet it has all the manga characters such as goku,naruto and others.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
can someome post me some photos of the Ds'es "Operating system" to see what it can do?

I'll just tell you, it'll get the job done; It can do nothing but Pictochat, basically.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
can someome post me some photos of the Ds'es "Operating system" to see what it can do?

yea,you can't really call it an operating system in the traditional sense....it does what it needs to and thats play games. theres a bit of settings and pictochat and options to play gba or ds games...thats it...