• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help me spec a comp. Defeat x3

Brad

Yoshimi
Alright guys getting into some more in depth engineering classes and I'd like a better rig to seize the day with.

Allot of 3D rendering and maxing games to be done.

My budget is going to be around 1000-1200 it needs to run a sandy bridge i7 if possible.

And I need to stress on the fact it needs to kick the shit outta x3's comp. I idle/converse in a IRC channel a good chunk of the time with him hearing all about his damn 1600p, duel gpu, SSD behemoth sporadically. Spouting out FPS number like you wouldn't believe.

"x3 - Damn I can't run this brand new fucking game at a constant 120FPS with +64 anti aliasing in 4D mode on my huge fucking resolution monitor. Gonna have to settle for ultra high instead of astronomically ultra fucking high"

No monitor needs to be spec'ed

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
"x3 - Damn I can't run this brand new fucking game at a constant 120FPS with +64 anti aliasing in 4D mode on my huge fucking resolution monitor. Gonna have to settle for ultra high instead of astronomically ultra fucking high"

while i can't help you out on creating a computer which is better than x3's, i can use this as a sig quote, thank you=-)

El Diablo

Damn if I bought the 6970 instead of the 6950 would I have been able to do 4d mode? Fuck me!

MenaceInc

Staff Member
AMD HD6990 Graphics card,
Core i7 2600k CPU,
Gigabyte Z68X-UD7 mobo,
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (size is up to you)

Anything else is personal preference except for PSU which just needs to be a good brand like Corsair and provide enough power to fuel the components. Modular cabling would be a good idea too to help keep the inside clear.

Brad

Yoshimi
while i can't help you out on creating a computer which is better than x3's, i can use this as a sig quote, thank you=-)

Thats a condensed version of my good ole pal x3sphere but mark my words one day it will possible and he will say it.

Thanks Menace ill play around with those components on newegg and see what I can come up with.
Edit: the 6990 is a bit much I'm not that retard hungry for ultra high end g cards like x3 but ill find something

El/Ipaq - Sounds like you guys don't believe in miracles

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thats a condensed version of my good ole pal x3sphere but mark my words one day it will possible and he will say it.

Thanks Menace ill play around with those components on newegg and see what I can come up with.
Edit: the 6990 is a bit much I'm not that retard hungry for ultra high end g cards like x3 but ill find something

El/Ipaq - Sounds like you guys don't believe in miracles

Not sure of how prices are but based on benchmarks alone, after the 6990, you'd maybe want to look at an Nvidia GTX590 or 580. Below those, would be the GTX480 but they were notorious for giving a lot of heat and being really loud. Then there's the 6970. Really, it's about balancing cost with performance which is difficult to do since I don't know the prices for any of those cards.

Good luck with trumping x3! :p

Seth

MD Party Room
What teh fuck is 4d mode...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
What teh fuck is 4d mode...

time control mate=-), now not only can you enjoy glorious 3D capability's on a gpu, but also a built in time machine allows traversing forward and backwards via the TPU(time processing unit), which i don't think x3 has, so brad would defiantly have a leg up in that department=-)

Brad

Yoshimi
Yea its right in the middle of the sarcasm dot matrix. Very common in the past but almost unheard of nowadays.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Yea its right in the middle of the sarcasm dot matrix. Very common in the past but almost unheard of nowadays.

I thought they stopped making them back in '93. Might have trouble getting an ISA > PCI converter.

El Diablo

We still use a dot matrix printer at work /face.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Well, you need a get a 30" monitor :p That's really the most impressive part of my setup IMO

For graphics cards, I'd recommend either a GTX570 or HD6970/6950. The GTX580 is the fatest single card but isn't a good value, it costs around 30% more and in a best case scenario you're only looking at 10% more performance over the 6970.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Well, you need a get a 30" monitor :p That's really the most impressive part of my setup IMO

For graphics cards, I'd recommend either a GTX570 or HD6970/6950. The GTX580 is the fatest single card but isn't a good value, it costs around 30% more and in a best case scenario you're only looking at 10% more performance over the 6970.

Indeed...the monitor itself is worth almost as much as the PC and still makes me jealous on a daily basis when I look at my 24" (which is still awesome)

Hardrive

Contributor

I've been looking at getting the Dell 30" but the only thing that's stopping me (besides price) is ghosting. Is it that noticeable?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've been looking at getting the Dell 30" but the only thing that's stopping me (besides price) is ghosting. Is it that noticeable?

I've got a similar model (the U2410) and I personally haven't noticed ghosting

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

I don't notice any ghosting, other than the slight blur you get on fonts while moving windows around... that happens on all LCDs I've used though.

LocutusEstBorg

There is no visible ghosting on my U2711 either. But that's probably because I'm used to gaming on a 40ms Acer monitor in my youth where everything had 3 inch long trails. Your eyes will adapt to ANY monitor in a few days and everything will look normal.