• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

HELP! My Computer's Done Something Weird!

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Hey,
I just turned on my computer this morning, booted to windows and it's acting very strange... The first thing I noticed was that it said "Preparing your Desktop" while loading... and now that I'm in, the wallpaper is different, all my icons have gone, all my pinned programs have done, Firefox thought it was it's first time being run...
The computer said something about being unable to access my files and that any files I create will be deleted when I log off, and that I could try logging off and on again but that didn't change anything!
If I click start it still says "Xander" and I'm still signed into myself as an Administrator...
What on earth happened?!
Thanks,
El Xando

EDIT: I restarted and it's back to normal... but that was very weird!

Riorio99

Definetly run a virus scan. Other than that, it just sounds like Windows went a little bit crazy.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
That sounds like a guest account (files being deleted after you log off, programs running for the first time). I would definetly recommend a virus scan, spyware scan, etc. Also try creating another user, logging onto that and then switching to your Xander profile.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit, glad it's working fine now. Although just for future reference, when Windows does that it generally means it's logging into a guest account (temporary accounts basically)

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
That sounds like a guest account (files being deleted after you log off, programs running for the first time). I would definetly recommend a virus scan, spyware scan, etc. Also try creating another user, logging onto that and then switching to your Xander profile.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit, glad it's working fine now. Although just for future reference, when Windows does that it generally means it's logging into a guest account (temporary accounts basically)

Well I just ran a virus scan and it returned nothing.
I also have Windows 7 set to auto logon to the only account on it. I thought it sounded like a temporary profile but it said it was me and logging off and on did nothing.
I guess Windows was just confused somehow :p
It also tends to randomly switch theme from the default to the most basic one then change back a few minutes later, although that only happens when I'm recording gameplay and that probably uses a lot of CPU usage.

---------- Post added 06-02-2010 at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-01-2010 at 05:57 PM ----------

OK it just did it again after I turned it on with it having been off overnight, then went back to normal again when I restarted...
I googled for the first part of the error windows gives, "Windows can't access your files" and it seems like noone has ever had this ever!