• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help on Dual Monitors

Vee

Hi guys, i'm trying to hook up two monitors to my Dell Dimensions E521. (Info here http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime521/en/SM_EN/specs.htm#wp1052310)

Anyway, i recently got my hands on a small LCD screen with a VGA input. So i took a look at the back of my desktop, and noticed a spare VGA slot, but it had been covered with a black plastic cap.

I went out and bought a VGA cable, hooked it up, but then it wasnt working. I've only just found out that that spare VGA slot, was for the built in integrated video card, thats disabled when you have a proper Graphics Card (i have a Nvidia 7300LE).

So i'm left with the following options;

Get a VGA splitter, and split the main VGA signal into two cables. But would that allow me to extend windows to both monitors?

Or I could use the remaining DVI slot, and buy a DVI-I to VGA converter. But i just read on the Dell site, that it isnt a good thing to do, to use two different connections for display. Any reason why that is?

Any thanks would be hugely appreciated.

explosions

Enable the integrated gfx card in the bios.

Vee

It wont let me enable both. It either asks me to chose Auto or the Graphics card, it also says that if i have a Graphics card, it will override the intergrated one.

Any help? :(

Bill

use the remaining DVI slot, and buy a DVI-I to VGA converter

That will do, although on some monitor/card combinations this can lead to problems with contrast. Most should be fine though.

Vee

That will do, although on some monitor/card combinations this can lead to problems with contrast. Most should be fine though.

But what about the problem said above? About using two different connections?

Moose

Meta Moose
But what about the problem said above? About using two different connections?

If your spare DVI slot is on the same graphics card (adapter) then it should work fine. What you can't do is use two separate outputs that are on two separate adapters (graphic cards).

FYI, the VGA splitting method will not work, you will simply mirror the image you had on the first monitor.

Vee

If your spare DVI slot is on the same graphics card (adapter) then it should work fine. What you can't do is use two separate outputs that are on two separate adapters (graphic cards).

FYI, the VGA splitting method will not work, you will simply mirror the image you had on the first monitor.

Ahh thanks mate. Just the right info i needed! I was minutes away from ordering a VGA splitter! So i'll need a DVI to VGA converter, thanks!