• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help on this Project Build

Noriyuke

OK! Hello everyone! its been a while for those of you that know me on these here forums, i've been away on some sort of leave, still am kinda, doin a lot of stuff, but one of these things that i've been doing is building a few project builds and i would like some help on building a good 64-bit windows 7 capable computer. Now i have bought a lot already, as well an AM3 processor and motherboard. My current picky areas are on finalization of this build.

Specs:
Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025

Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103650

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220378

That's basically what i bought, its running when all put together, with a random hard drive i have, but my major concerns are whether i chose the right mobo and processor or if i should upgrade either way because another build is on the way, and if i could get valid enough excuses as to why to swap out certain things or add certain things that would be cool.

I think its a good build, also, i would like to know any opinions on overclocking on massive coolin for that case, its nice and big. Lots of room to play around with.

Well any ideas would be great!

Sullivan

Went cheap on the PSU? Seems like a good over all build, although I can't stand AMD, its a nice CPU. Are you looking into getting a graphics card at all?

Noriyuke

Yeah, im an overall fan of AMD, so for the record, please just don't hate on this, i need input, i thought the PSU was a good choice actually, this need to be powerful, but conservational as well, I'm not trying to go all like 600W or nothing. As for the graphics cards, i haven't decided, that's what i need help with, also need to know if there could be any adjustments to this build, i want a rugged and powerful system capable of doing quite a bit and being transportable in a car when necessary.

Back to the GPU's i want a decent 2GB Crossfire System going, i've seen some decent cards for 77 bucks a pop on newegg.

Sullivan

Im not hating, I did say its a good cpu.

Well in that case, for your GPU wants, you may really want to up the PSU, some cards, like the higher end ones will use up 150-200 watts.

What is your budget for this whole system?

Noriyuke

money knows no bounds at the moment, i mean, i just bought a 500GB HDD and now im looking into cards and another PSU.

Hardrive

Contributor
If you ask me, SLI and Crossfire aren't worth it. Take the money you would have spent on two cards, and buy one single, really good card.

i thought the PSU was a good choice actually, this need to be powerful, but conservational as well
The PSU you chose actually isn't that efficient. If you're going to try to conserve energy, not only should you get the low wattage PSU, but also look for over 80% efficiency. I know there's search options on Newegg that allow you to do that.

Noriyuke

Yeah... The one Really good Card sounds good i guess. Ill see whats around.

and im done about arguing over a PSU ill buy the one that someeone recommends.

And Harddrive, just a thought tho, what if i were to crossfire or sli 2 really expensive cards? Still bad idea?

Hardrive

Contributor
I still think that you should only SLI/Crossfire if you buy the two most expensive cards out there. The reasoning behind this is that many games don't scale well to SLI and will perform better on a single, better card. I wish I would have followed this advice when I built my rig to be honest.

As for power supplies, many of us here have Corsair power supplies. They're really great power supplies, they're really stable and efficient (80%+). If money truly is no object to you, I'd suggest stepping up just a bit on your PSU choice.

While I'm bossing you around, you should also scrap the AMD processor, and maybe the ATI graphics card :p (I know, I know, "personal preference").

Cryox

Bro.
how much cheaper, if any, is it to build your own machine than it is to buy one of the same specs? cause i have been thinking about building my own for awhile now.

Hardrive

Contributor
how much cheaper, if any, is it to build your own machine than it is to buy one of the same specs? cause i have been thinking about building my own for awhile now.

If you buy a super low-end computer, then you won't see much of a price difference. But once you start getting into the more high-end computer, building it yourself is a lot cheaper (and more fun).

When I built my PC (specs) almost a year ago, I remember pricing it against a Dell XPS. Of course, I couldn't get all of the details exactly right, but I was pretty close. My computer, with a 24" monitor, cost $1500 after rebates, Dell's cost $2500-$3000 (I don't remember the exact value), with a 24" monitor.

So, I guess it comes down to what kind of a computer you will be building.

Sullivan

Ya, I got my Corsair TX850w from newegg, its overkill, but future proof.

Cryox

Bro.
If you buy a super low-end computer, then you won't see much of a price difference. But once you start getting into the more high-end computer, building it yourself is a lot cheaper (and more fun).

When I built my PC (specs) almost a year ago, I remember pricing it against a Dell XPS. Of course, I couldn't get all of the details exactly right, but I was pretty close. My computer, with a 24" monitor, cost $1500 after rebates, Dell's cost $2500-$3000 (I don't remember the exact value), with a 24" monitor.

So, I guess it comes down to what kind of a computer you will be building.
even if it was more expensive, i would probably still do it myself, then i could call it my baby and know it truly is mine lol + it would be more fun then saying "Hey Fry's guy, get me this pc. thank you, here money."

Sullivan

I hate the people at fry's, they seemed to have thought I knew completely nothing when I was looking at parts, I was like leave me a lone, lol. They are a rip too! Rams expensive, hard drives they have some deals on, like 250 SATA for 49$. But on the egg, you can get a 640gb for about 69$. And there CPU and MOBO's are a rip compared to newegg.

Cryox

Bro.
yeah, fry's was my goto place before, but that was when they had all the great opening sales and later, the xbox 360 deal.

Sullivan

Ya, the only good things they have, are there deals, which when they have them, are great.

Noriyuke

I don't think there's a Fry's in my area, but i bought a 1.5TB for 98 bucks, So there's an ad-don.

So basically, buy a new PSU, i'm sticking with AMD, whether you guys like it or not, i was already told i got a good processor choice so i'm good, lets talk video cards? Throw me a basic rundown and whats needed nowadays (pixel pipelines, memory, etc.) And i want something DX10 compatible, hell DX11 if available, but so far i've only been looking at mid range ATI Cards, i saw a 4850 for cheap i might get, but iono.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I don't think there's a Fry's in my area, but i bought a 1.5TB for 98 bucks, So there's an ad-don.

So basically, buy a new PSU, i'm sticking with AMD, whether you guys like it or not, i was already told i got a good processor choice so i'm good, lets talk video cards? Throw me a basic rundown and whats needed nowadays (pixel pipelines, memory, etc.) And i want something DX10 compatible, hell DX11 if available, but so far i've only been looking at mid range ATI Cards, i saw a 4850 for cheap i might get, but iono.

Well to pick a graphics card we need to know a few things.

1. What resolution are you running ?
2. What games are you playing (ex. Crysis)

I would really recommend not getting an ati card, however if you are thinking about buying a second gfx card in the future, ati is the way you'll have to go.

for future proof reasons I would go with a gtx 260/275 or a 4870/4890.

also, dx11 cards don't come out until q4

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
Well for your video card its a decision you dont want to take lightly.
If your looking at mid-range as you said i would go with the ATI Radeon 4850 series cards as most of them come as standard 512mb of GDDR3. If your going to game on this thing your either going to want one of the new 4890 series with 1GB (plenty to play most games on good settings) or even a 4870 X2, but if your not a heavy gamer theres no point even getting an X2 card.

Nvidia on the other hand is a totally differant story, for a medium rate card go for one of the lower end GTX or GTS cards. In my opinion to best Nvidia based card for your needs would be at most a GTS 250. The GTS 250 makes a change for Nvidia really its both Price + Performance for a change :p

LocutusEstBorg

I'd suggest this alternative setup.

Your PSU is simply crap. It will fail eventually if you put in a GFX card. Get this at the least.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002&Tpk=corsair%20hx620

Get a DDR2 board for the Phenom II x4. DDR3 is a waste of money in your case. You're other parts are not good enough to show the performance difference anyway. The RAM you linked is slower than DDR2 as well. This RAM below is good enough and OCs to 1GHz when loosened to 5-5-5-18
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194

Get a Black Edition CPU instead. They aren't 5x the price unlike Intel's Extreme Editions. That way the motherboard won't matter. Just get any mid range DDR2 board and you can just bump up the multiplier and voltage a bit.

As for GPU, I don't recommend anything less than a GTX 280 or GTX 260 Core 216 SSC.