• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Help! PSP does not boot to XMB

rileysnotz

Hey guys.

Here's the problem. My friend has a psp 2k running m33-6. When I flip the power switch the psp power led lights up green, then the sony computer entertainment screen, then the waves but no XMB and then shuts off with a click sound.

I've been trying to boot it umpteen times over the past 2 months but its the same. I can get into the recovery menu but it shuts off with the same click a few seconds later. I also tried my own 3k battery and the same thing happens. I removed the battery and just connected the charger and did manage to get into the XMB and play a game. I shut off and put in the battery and again it refused to boot into XMB. Now even if I try the charger thing without the battery it does the same thing. BTW the whole start to shutdown process takes about 10-12 seconds.
(my 3k works fine with either battery)

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm assuming its a firmware issue?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Seems your buddy must have been playing with the flash0 a little too much and might have screwed some prx tied to the XMB. I don't think there is another fix except Pandora, why haven't you tried that yet?

rileysnotz

Would have tried that but I don't have a pandora (have a 3k myself so never needed one). Was hoping I wouldn't need a pandora for this but if everything else fails I guess I'll do that. Anything else I can try before I get a Pandora?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Would have tried that but I don't have a pandora (have a 3k myself so never needed one). Was hoping I wouldn't need a pandora for this but if everything else fails I guess I'll do that. Anything else I can try before I get a Pandora?

This is me going on a stretch and I highly doubt this can work, but try copying the entire flash0 of an exactly equal PSP (same model, same fw) to that 2k, either it will make it work or just flat out brick it... If you can have USB on it anyway...

But I wouldn't risk that, because I bet that are MD5 checks and signatures that would conflict, so Pandora IS your best bet if you can't use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher on the recovery menu.

rileysnotz

Well I guess as I can't boot into xmb usb is out of the way. Yeah guess I'll try Pandora. Thanks for your help anyway :)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well I guess as I can't boot into xmb usb is out of the way. Yeah guess I'll try Pandora. Thanks for your help anyway :)

You could use USB on Recovery mode, but if recovery also shuts down that's out of question I guess... Or try and use Recovery Flasher also on recovery mode but same as above applies... So yeah xD

And you're welcome :p

phoenixv5

You did manage to get it to work while charging right?
So not a problem of the PSP, maybe some fault with the contacts of the PSP 2k?
I assume it's less than TA-088v3 since it was running m33, so it was hacked right?

OK, try the following:
1) Connect the charger
2) Insert battery
3) Start XMB
4) Post/PM the results!

rileysnotz

Hey guys here's what I did.
> tried like hell to try to boot to xmb or recovery menu but it kept crashing after 10-12 seconds.
> Hard modded the battery to Pandora
> created MMS
> flashed to 4.00 m33
> works fine on CFW with the Pandora. Plays games and all fine.
> I de-pandorized the battery but again it crashes after 12 seconds. (WTF?)
> Used my own 3k's battery and same crash after 12 seconds.
> Re-pandorized and it works fine.
> Next step???

Thanks in advance!

phoenixv5

Hardmodded eh?
Cool, me too.

So keep it in pandora-mode.
Convert your friend's memory stick into magic memory stick.
Use PSP as normal with magic memory stick.
That's how I did it.

BTW, how on earth did you un-pandorize the battery?
Connect the golden ping again?

phoenixv5

Might need it soon.
Thanks for that.

Are there any plugins loaded or somethin?

phoenixv5

I have no clue what's wrong with that PSP. LOLZ works with pandora not if normal battery!!
Speaking of Pandoras, will a Pandorized PSP 1000 battery work on a PSP 2000 with mobo less than TA-088v3??

Edit: BTW where do you live ;)?

phoenixv5

rileysnotz

OK dumped the NAND and it says

"Dump completed.
The following bad blocks were found: 2639, 2643."

Not sure what this means. Could this be the problem and if it is how to fix this?

Edit:
NVM I did some research and it's probably not.

phoenixv5

Just browsing some old threads and I saw this again....
Now I have the reverse of this problem..
The PSP only starts into XMB if I use a NON-PANDORA battery...
The 2000 I'm referring to is (for sure) a flashable one (running 5.00 M33-6 too)!

But I can't boot into XMB with the PSP 1000 pandora battery and rain-mms.
Doesn't matter though, I no longer have that battery!

Rubr1K

Ghettosmurf
1. Remove all physical media from your PSP. Memory stick, UMD disk and even the battery.
2. Connect the charger and try booting.
2a. Booting works - One of the three above is messed up. Try booting adding back one of the three at a time and see what the problem is.
2b. Booting doesn't work, move to step 3.
3. Re-insert memory stick and memory stick etc and make sure your PSP is shut off. Hold the right trigger and flick the power switch. Keep holding it for approximately 10 seconds. Typically it should only take 2-4 seconds to get to the recovery menu, but in some cases with semi bricks it can take longer.
3a. You CAN reach the recovery menu. Connect your memory stick to a computer and download Recovery Flasher.
3b. You can't reach recovery menu. Your PSP is fully bricked and pandora is the only solution.

Try this first, and if you still can't fix it reply and I'll help.

phoenixv5

1. Remove all physical media from your PSP. Memory stick, UMD disk and even the battery.
2. Connect the charger and try booting.
2a. Booting works - One of the three above is messed up. Try booting adding back one of the three at a time and see what the problem is.
2b. Booting doesn't work, move to step 3.
3. Re-insert memory stick and memory stick etc and make sure your PSP is shut off. Hold the right trigger and flick the power switch. Keep holding it for approximately 10 seconds. Typically it should only take 2-4 seconds to get to the recovery menu, but in some cases with semi bricks it can take longer.
3a. You CAN reach the recovery menu. Connect your memory stick to a computer and download Recovery Flasher.
3b. You can't reach recovery menu. Your PSP is fully bricked and pandora is the only solution.

Try this first, and if you still can't fix it reply and I'll help.

It was obviously the battery, as I said, changing it to a 2000 battery fixes it.
Doesn't matter anymore, lost both PSPs!