• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Help with constant RAR corruption

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
Well, I have no problem with small RAR files but when I get a RAR file that is over 200MB, when I try to Extract, at some point it says

'CRC failed in the file.File is Corrupt'

It doesn't help if i redownload the file. For any file around 200MB and over (that would be created if i unRARed the file) becomes corrupt but smaller files are fine.

Please could someone help me

Cryox

Bro.
What are you using? 7zip winrar etc?

I would recommend trying out 7zip. It has never failed me, and it is really good bit of software.

Dan

Contributor
Please tell us what RAR extractor you are using. It might be the fact that the files are in individual RARs themselves, for example 'RAR_01, RAR_02' etc, and the rest of the files are not located in the same folder.

shikamaru

I am using WinRAR and there is one file in many parts. All the parts are in one folder and when i try to extract the large file out of part one, one of the parts is always corrupt.
The other time, it was one file (350MB) with a 400MB file inside. I tried to extract and got the same error even though there werent anymore parts just a single file.

Will try with 7Zip, must dl again coz i deleted the files

Cryox

Bro.
I am using WinRAR and there is one file in many parts. All the parts are in one folder and when i try to extract the large file out of part one, one of the parts is always corrupt.
The other time, it was one file (350MB) with a 400MB file inside. I tried to extract and got the same error even though there werent anymore parts just a single file.

Will try with 7Zip, must dl again coz i deleted the files
If you haven't cleared your recycle bin yet, they are probably still in there ;)

shikamaru

I usually use 'Shift+Del' so no, i have to re-dl

Triklops

Winrar is the best archiver software IMO. Have you tried the repair archive option in Winrar. It has a 90% recovery chance if your archive is a RAR and has a recovery record.

Archaemic

What are you using? 7zip winrar etc?

I would recommend trying out 7zip. It has never failed me, and it is really good bit of software.

This probably won't matter. RAR is some awful, proprietary crap and the only decoding library that works on modern RAR files is official, so it should decode exactly the same. (I should know, I used it when I wrote PSPComic ;))

So unless WinRAR uses its own code wrong, it won't make a difference. ...there is the odd fact that, since it's official, it should be doing it right. Really, it sounds like you're out of hard drive space or something.