• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Holy Fuck balls, "Windows Repair" Virus

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
My brother got some virus called "Windows Repair" (It creates false system symptoms to make you try and buy the full version to fix and in turn installs more malware/trojans)Which is just the same thing as "HDD FIX" Or "HDD Repair" ETC.

And I've deleted everything on the hard drive related to it(Ran Full scan on Malwarebytes anti malware on my PC with his HDD Plugged in, that's the only way I was able to get rid of anything), all registry entries and it's still somehow hiding EVERYTHING on the C Drive, and it makes windows think that the drive has 10GB more free space then it actually has.

Can't Run Task Manager, Programs files come up as "Empty" (the start menu)

Safe mode doesn't work either. C drive and program files still come up completely EMPTY. You can't install any new programs as well.
"Windows Repair" Doesn't pop up anymore, But 90% of the symptoms remain! :(

HOLYWTFBBQ I haven't encountered a virus that has made me RAGE this much in a while.

I REALLY WANT TO FUCKIN FIND THE PEOPLE/PERSON WHO MADE THIS GOD DAMN THING AND SUE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM (OR JUST BEAT THEM TO HELL) FOR ILLEGALLY INSTALLING A PROGRAM ON MY BROTHER'S COMPUTER WITHOUT USER CONSENT AND AGREEMENT,FOLLOWED BY COMPLETE MALLICIOUS INTENT TO COMMIT FRAUD BY STEALING MONEY FROM THE USER IF THEY HAD PAID MONEY TO SUPPOSEDLY "FIX" THIS.:sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2: ISN'T THAT A FUCKING CRIME?!

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

I will hope you excuse my RAGE.
This was supposed to be a great day that ended up with me wasting almost all of my time fucking with this god damn thing.

Trigun

Yeah, I considered that my "Worst case Scenario"

And I haven't had to do that because of a virus in a few years now.

Most of them are fairly simple to remove.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Sounds like you deleted everything already as it is except for the OS itself lol

You should just bite the bullet and do a reinstall - these days (if you use windows) they tend be a lot faster

El Diablo

You can try running combofix on it off of a flash drive or something if you can even access it. Not sure if combofix will scan other HDs if you put it in another computer but it's worth a try. Usually it's pretty good with getting pretty bad viruses if you're able to actually run it on the computer = \.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Can you run .exe files even though you can't install programs? Sounds like they've really messed with some system files if you can't even use safe mode. My recommendation would be to try to run McAfee Stinger (does wonders) but if you can't run .exe's then that's out of the question. Reformat may be your only option without some serious knowledge of the files the virus alters, adds, or removes (even then it would take forever)

Trigun

Well you can run .Exe files as long as they are on a flash drive. But whether they actually work is another story, Trying to install Malwarebytes anti-malware for example just comes up with an error at the end of installation.

I'll look into Combofix and Stinger . Thanks for the help dudes

El Diablo

Combofix doesn't require any installation so usually if you can run it you're usually good.

Zx30

Beto
It's funny you mention a virus posing as a Windows Repairer. Just recently, I fixed a computer for my Gf's mom. She was complaining about a "Windows CleanThis" that kept popping up. I've never heard of it so I told her to just turn the computer off and I'll take a look at it since anything she would do may just worsen the problem(parents..sheesh). Turns out, the "Windows CleanThis" was a virus. It tried to make you pay for a full version to protect your system, expect it was a scam and it doesn't give you anything. Luckily I got rid of it before it did any damage. I found over 200+spyware, 30 trojans and about 3 viruses(according to the actual scanners I used). I wonder if there's more of these viruses posing as Microsoft programs out there...

On Topic though, Sorry to hear that happen bro. :(

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
ive encountered a few of these myself. the one that disables running .exes is particularly bad since you cannot run anything to attempt to remove it. in most cases i just had to pull the hard drive(s), get any data the user wanted onto another computer, then reinstall windows.

if none of you guys have something like this, i suggest you invest in something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ99DI

with all the more advanced viruses going around lately, pulling critical data and reinstalling the operating system is definitely becoming more common. a set like that is great since its universal (works on sata or ide & 2.5" or 3.5", even optical drives) and its cheap. its made my job much easier ;)