• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How Much Should I Offer For This Computer?

andyauff

My friend is selling his desktop computer. I don't know much about computers so I'm not sure how much to offer. He says it is a Gateway but he doesn't know the model. It has a Core 2 Duo processor 1.8 GHz, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HDD. He also says he paid $890 for it 2 years ago.

Also, what is the difference between a Core 2 Duo processor and and Intel Celeron processor? The computer I have right now says it has a 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron processor. Even though the GHz are similar, is the Core 2 Duo a lot better?

Thanks.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
I'm not an expert on computers at all, but it's value has certainly gone down over the past few years. Nowadays you can find a computer significantly better than that for about half that price.

For example, here's a gateway for $470, which is a lot better than that one. Newegg.com - Gateway DX4720-03 Pentium dual-core E5200 4GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

I personally would recommend getting a computer of your own (or upgrading your current one). Or you could buy his and upgrade it, but right now it holds very little value. Or if your friend wants to sell it for a fair price, he should order some more RAM and maybe get a new processor and then upgrade it himself. What's the video card in it now?

andyauff

Well the thing is, my computer I have right now is old and outdated. I don't know if it's worth upgrading. And I wouldn't know where to start. Right now my computer is an HP pavilion 503n. 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron Processor, 128 MB DDR SDRAM, 40 GB HDD. It's really slow, but it works fine overall. How would I go about upgrading it? And if all I were interested in were speed, would simply getting more RAM suffice?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
i'd say $250, and that he got a poor deal 2 years ago.

Hardrive

Contributor
Since your computer has a Celeron processor, you won't be able to upgrade it to anything modern. You'll probably spend more money upgrading than it's worth, and it still wouldn't compare to a modern-day computer. Either buy your friend's computer for about $200 and stick more RAM in it, or just buy a brand-spankin new one for like $500.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
Since your computer has a Celeron processor, you won't be able to upgrade it to anything modern. You'll probably spend more money upgrading than it's worth, and it still wouldn't compare to a modern-day computer. Either buy your friend's computer for about $200 and stick more RAM in it, or just buy a brand-spankin new one for like $500.

This.

For the price you would spend upgrading it you could probably buy a brand new one for only a little bit more.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
if im not mistaken the core2 duo's are usually 2.00ghz 2 years ago.

but since its dual core its way better then the 1.7ghz processor in my opinion.

But what you have to remember is that its harder to upgrade a laptop then a desktop.

Ide say 250$

Seth

MD Party Room
C2D is worlds better than a Celeron processor there a huge speed difference. I also say 200-250 would be fair for this computer and put about a 1-2 gb of ram on it as well. If you feel like build one you can get a really good one for about 400ish.We be happy to pick out the best parts for as well.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM EST ----------

I'm not an expert on computers at all, but it's value has certainly gone down over the past few years. Nowadays you can find a computer significantly better than that for about half that price.

For example, here's a gateway for $470, which is a lot better than that one. Newegg.com - Gateway DX4720-03 Pentium dual-core E5200 4GB DDR2 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

I personally would recommend getting a computer of your own (or upgrading your current one). Or you could buy his and upgrade it, but right now it holds very little value. Or if your friend wants to sell it for a fair price, he should order some more RAM and maybe get a new processor and then upgrade it himself. What's the video card in it now?

Might I add that a C2D is still better than the Pentium dual-core,I say that with the same amount of ram or even 2gbs of ram it would be better for everyday things.(talking about andyauff computer)

Colm

Now, I'd actually say $180.
Best thing to do is self-build one from scratch if you want a new PC. Since you're on a Celeron, your mobo etc. probably won't support new parts.

Cryox

Bro.
i would say ask him the lowest he is willing to go, if his price is lower than the $200, 280, or $180 marks that were posted above, tell him your highest offer is 200 or whatever. I have made a couple extra bucks off some people just by asking, what are you willing to pay? it ends up being over what i wanted, and i take it.

well, good luck i guess

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
how much $ do you have? if you have more than 400 to spend, just buy a brand new system that will be MUCH, MUCH better than what he has.