• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How the fuck do you use SSH?

Bran

Yell
I've not used SSH in like for fucking ever so I don't remember how to use it and especially not for the iPod.

My internet sucks or I'd look it up myself, but if someone could point out the shit it'd help me a bunch.

(I already have OpenSSH and the Terminal installed from Cydia)

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
I can help you!

I think making this a thread is great just for reference purposes.

First question. Mac or PC?

eighty4

Meh. He uses a PC.

Get PuTTy, then make sure you are connected to WiFi via your iPod Touch. Once there, use PuTTY to connect to SSH (not FTP or anything else, this is important) and type in for the server your WiFi address IP. (Can be found in Settings > Wifi, then click the blue arrow next to the one you're connected to.)

For username and password, they are root for username, and alpine for password. It may take a few tries to connect but should go smoothly.

Kyle0wnsyou

Lavate las manooos!!
hey Copacetic, can you change your SSH password now? I remember at some point it mucked stuff up because of the whole root/mobile thing, but do you know of an updated answer?

eighty4

They haven't given any information on the ability to change it, but they said it was a problem with that specific version and that has been updated three or four times since.

Bran

Yell
Thank's for the help I'll try that out

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM EST ----------

does the port matter?

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM EST ----------

ew, I don't like the new post merge. What happened to "Additional Comment:"?

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM EST ----------

Alright well I have SSH working now, so I can fiddle around with that but maybe we should make this into a "How to use SSH" thread.

Hellcat

Contributor
You can do awesome things over SSH to the iPhone/iTouch.... from total pimpage to to total brickage :D

I like to use SFTP (FTP over SSH) to make full backups of the thing :)

Sorry for the bump, but I have something that may be of use to some people. Your iPhone\iPod Touch's IP is broadcasted over Bonjour (Zeroconf) with the name of your device.local. It saves me from having to look up the IP all the time.