• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How To Get ChickHen R2 To Work [GUIDE]

sensai

I know that there are still a select few of you who still can't manage to boot their PSPs in Hen Mode and then there are some who got it working once but have trouble doing it again. Worry no more. I have found a way to get an unbelievably high success rate. Please read all the steps below before attempting to ensure proper orders. Good Luck!

+ tested on PSP 3000s

1) Place h.bin in the root of the memory stick
2) Copy n Paste the ChickenHen folder in the photo folder :)G/PSP/PHOTO)
3) Turn on your psp
4) Go to the PHOTO icon in the xmb and scroll down to your memory stick. DO NOT click on it.
5)While you are waiting, you will see the Options tab appear on the bottom right corner of the screen. Press O on the psp.
6) Then press X . Once again wait for the Options tab to appear on the screen, BUT this time press the right directional key instead of O as soon as you see it.
7) Wait for the 1st .gif to load. Then slowly scroll down each .gif just as their thumbnail appears (1 sec or so on each)
8) By the time you get to the last .gif, your screen will flash and your PSP will reboot automatically.
9) Hen is now loaded.

*If your psp just shuts down without rebooting, retry steps 3-8 again. It works everytime for me and for my friends.
*Any questions/concerns that you may want to ask me can be posted in this thread and I will try to answer them the best I can

childsy

sorry mate but it seems that no one has the answer to get a high success rate for everyone, as great as the HEN is it is buggy and it doesnt seem to matter how you go about loading it. Pretty much hit and miss for most people.

guard3

it is working with 100% every time by changing the language to dutch and running UMD FIFA9k introductory screen

sensai

yeah I understand what you are getting at, but I want to know if this method worked for anyone here

happydance

maybe i'ts better to have a compilation of all methods used to get a high probability. so user could just try them and see which one works best for them

kconston

It works

This works 100% of the time for me :p. I have a psp slim 3001 that initially had ofw 5.01 but was upgraded to 5.03 for the hack. I have powered off 12 times and this method worked on FIRST try EVERY time. Thanks for sharing that information!!!!!

Ben-to-b-free

[scrubs]-Fan
sorry mate but it seems that no one has the answer to get a high success rate for everyone, as great as the HEN is it is buggy and it doesnt seem to matter how you go about loading it. Pretty much hit and miss for most people.
Well, that's completely bullshit! The HEN isn't buggy, but the exploit depends on the boottime, so don't talk shit if you don't know how the things are working.

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.

dispedia

adding 2-3 extra jpeg file helps a lot too ;) 3 out of 5 success attempt.
too bad i only got a red screen because R2 isn't supported on 5.05 :argh:

Ben-to-b-free

[scrubs]-Fan
Unstability is caused by the random padding in vshBridge, which randomly assigns the size of the memory pools it created when it was started. This depends on the system boottime and affects the memory adresses the exploit relies on.

I'm not quite sure about it...

Davee

lolhax
Unstability is caused by the random padding in vshBridge, which randomly assigns the size of the memory pools it created when it was started. This depends on the system boottime and affects the memory adresses the exploit relies on.

I'm not quite sure about it...

Which would mean that for a completely stable HEN, it'll need to have the same system time as every other PSP. The main contributing factor to this fault is?

WalangAlam

nice discussion. I always wanted to know this. A friend of mine got an extremely difficult to chickhen psp. Done every trick known to mankind still took me half a day of trial and error to activate the HEN. Davee kindly complete the explanation please?

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Hmmm... you're right. I didn't look for the date:D Anyways...

:laugh: that was funny while listening to the music. its like doing it with the beat.

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
nice discussion. I always wanted to know this. A friend of mine got an extremely difficult to chickhen psp. Done every trick known to mankind still took me half a day of trial and error to activate the HEN.
If the left-right-left-right trick for ChickHEN R2 doesn't work for you (which is quite unusual though, it should work 95-100% of the time), try this instead of the ChickHEN R2:

ChickHEN Mod3:
Code:
http://depositfiles.com/files/z829hyy61

It's a modified version of the R2, got it from the store where I bought my PSP. Don't know who modified it though, but works like a charm.

In the folder you'll see 6 .jpg images of different colors, slim_mod2.tiff, and h.bin.

Place:
- h.bin in root memory (MS:\h.bin)
- ChickHEN Mod3 folder in MS:\PICTURE (you can also try in MS:\PSP\PHOTO, see if it works)

XMB > Photo > Memory Stick > ChickHEN Mod3 (wait for folder thumbnail to load)

Do NOT click on the ChickHEN Mod3 folder, instead, press RIGHT and SCROLL DOWN to the last file (i.e. slim_mod2.tiff) as FAST as you could.

A green screen should flash, you're now in the homebrew environment, ChickHEN success! If done correctly, it will work in your first attempt.

Good luck!

Cloudy

Whenever people say modifed ChickHEN I cringe a little - it's actually a modified tiff not a modified HEN.

The HEN is actually stable, it's the tiff which is unstable, due to the aformentioned random padding.

WalangAlam

Whenever people say modifed ChickHEN I cringe a little - it's actually a modified tiff not a modified HEN.

The HEN is actually stable, it's the tiff which is unstable, due to the aformentioned random padding.

:laugh: true. everybody call it ChickHEN tiff and all. I see the term modified ChickHEN alot and there will be version 1,2,3 etc.:argh:

kathy025

Live fast. Die young.
Whatever, you guys get the point. :D

WalangAlam, see if the "modified .tiff" works for your friend one of these days.

WalangAlam

Whatever, you guys get the point. :D

WalangAlam, see if the "modified .tiff" works for your friend one of these days.

ya, we get the point:laugh:

thanks, will try your link later.

tried every .tiff version actually modified and not. I was even so desperate that i use the speed.bin repack:p

My friend's PSP is a Japan PSP3000 by the way. And ya tried the all language settings changed to English trick still tiff crash was extremely difficult to activate.

I've been trying for 8 hours and still nada.:argh::cry: All files are there since i can activate the tiff crash using the same original 1GB memory stick in my psp with no problem. Took me 1 to 2 tries in my own PSP using the same original 1GB memory stick. I'm not new to ChickHEN either since CFWed all my nieces' and nephews' PSPs including my two PSPs

What make's Japan PSP so difficult to ChickHENed?