• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

HP order touchpad liquidation

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You can easily overclock your TouchPad if you want to speed it up. No need for any jailbreaking and the like, here are the instructions: http://www.webosbuzz.com/hp-touchpad/694-how-overclock-hp-touchpad-1-5ghz.html I overclocked mine yesterday or so and battery life hasn't been affected whatsoever. Battery life on this thing is fantastic by the way.

Also the Preware application you install during the overclocking process is pretty cool. I guess it's the equivalent of Cydia on iOS, but it can be installed without jailbreaking. It's great how HP's embraced homebrew on webOS.

The first thing I did was install Preware and apply some patches (after most recent update of course). I was contemplating overclocking it since it's a relatively easy process since I have done most of the "leg work" already. Is there a noticeable difference before and after overclock?

Abe - the browsing is pretty good. Not as fast as you would expect from a dual core tablet but definitely manageable (and flash support is nice). I'm a bit pissed I didn't pick up more than one - I asked my brother if he wanted one and he said no and now he is telling me he wants one... Either way I'm sure you'll be able to pick them up on eBay for about a $50 markup on price soon (at least I hope).

EDIT: Found a comparison video of 1.5ghz vs 1.2ghz and the difference is small: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9G5x-1K5Xk

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
People are asking for stupid mark up prices on craigslist. I put in a couple of lowball offers like a scumbag. I'm sure I could offer $150 and throw in some video games for trade.

xploren

Contributor
HP's site is getting a new shipment in soon apparently, sign up for the stock alert and you should be able to get your hands on one.

And for me though the difference isn't huge, it's definitely worth doing the overclock since it's so easy and there doesn't seem to be any consequences. It's at least a little faster so why not?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Got my hands on a 32GB from craigslist this afternoon. Keep me abreast of cool shit I should be doing with it like the overclock.

Seth

MD Party Room
Got my hands on a 32GB from craigslist this afternoon. Keep me abreast of cool shit I should be doing with it like the overclock.

How much did you pick it up for?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Got my TouchPad today and I'm really impressed. Not feeling the hate towards webOS at all (probably just vocal Apple loyalists that bash it, but whatever), it's very polished, just lacking in apps.

In fact the web browser feels noticeably smoother than the one on Android. I would say it's just as good as iOS, as far as responsiveness goes.

So I don't think I'll be switching off webOS if an Android port comes, unless there's a dual boot option, as I mainly got this for light web browsing.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Same, I've found WebOS to be awesome after using it for a while. The UI is extremely nice and the only complaint I've had is that it hangs up now and then. Never had to restart it though, just had to give it a few seconds.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Mine has completely frozen once, with only a few web pages open and Angry Birds. I agree that WebOS is getting the job done perfectly well for what I'm using the thing for.

There are a few sports apps that I'm missing that I use for fantasy sports though, and if I can access then on Android I would most likely make a switch. A dual boot option would be perfect.

OUTL4W

I use it all the time.....Splashtop is freakin' awesome.....It also cuts off the audio on desktop and forwards it to you. all you need is to enter your gmail on the tablet version and on the streamer program on the pc/mac and waaala...and you have access from anywhere around the world. no port forwarding required.

Splashtop + dropbox x ifile = buttery goodness....