• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Humanism and The Meaning of Life (help me with my RE project)

Raz5

beep = (char) 7;
You will not be able to prove ANYTHING, EVER, AT ALL, IN EXISTANCE, for an 100% actual, undoubtful, impervious fact. And thats the truth, the only true fact in the world is that their are no facts

Wait, what? I thought Mathematics was all about 100% actual, undoubtful, impervious facts. Isn't it?

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
Solar System, my bad :p

We can see their Suns, so there is proof of them, via sight. We also have pictures of them from the Hubble Space Telescope.

Youre going to sit there and tell me that you have proof that Hitler DIDNT create the internet? Please, i beg you to prove it to me. Then, when you have your evidence that Hitler DIDNT create the internet, I want you to prove to me and everyone else in the world without an single doubt and 100% factual proof that someone else did and not Martians. Then I want you to prove to me that Jesus Christ DIDNT slide down from heaven, make the internet, gave it to the US Military and then went back to heaven.

You will not be able to prove ANYTHING, EVER, AT ALL, IN EXISTANCE, for an 100% actual, undoubtful, impervious fact. And thats the truth, the only true fact in the world is that their are no facts

If Adolf Hitler did in fact create the Internet, why then did it take until the middle of the 1980s for CERN, not the US Military, to develop it? You cannot take things that have factual evidence and say something contrary is correct. For example:

True: Ice cream is a dairy product.
False: Ice cream is made from green beans and steak.

Think about it.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
We can see their Suns, so there is proof of them, via sight. We also have pictures of them from the Hubble Space Telescope.

If Adolf Hitler did in fact create the Internet, why then did it take until the middle of the 1980s for CERN, not the US Military, to develop it? You cannot take things that have factual evidence and say something contrary is correct. For example:

True: Ice cream is a dairy product.
False: Ice cream is made from green beans and steak.

Think about it.

Really? I cant? Try to prove anything to me right now. Anything at all.

Factual evidence is not as factual as you make it to be. Its factual to our eyes but that doesnt it means its factual to existence or even a different being. Were humans, not "God" or even gods. Nothing we can say, do or prove is really proven. Its just our best knowledge of factual evidence. Even the petty stuff. There is literally no way without a shadow of a doubt to prove that anything is anything.

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome

Factual evidence is not as factual as you make it to be. Its factual to our eyes but that doesnt it means its factual to existence or even a different being. Were humans, not "God" or even gods. Nothing we can say, do or prove is really proven. Its just our best knowledge of factual evidence. Even the petty stuff. There is literally no way without a shadow of a doubt to prove that anything is anything.

Humans have a stomach that aides in digesting food. How is that not factual?

Raz5

beep = (char) 7;

You think, therefore you exist. Your existence is proven by the sole fact that you are thinking. Cogito ergo sum. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I exist.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Humans have a stomach that aides in digesting food. How is that not factual?

Sure you can say that, physically speaking but you cant prove it metaphysically. Just because you can prove something to your eyes and mind, as a being, doesnt mean thats truely how it is. Its a pretty intense concept to think about.

You think, therefore you exist. Your existence is proven by the sole fact that you are thinking. Cogito ergo sum. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that I exist.

Sure, you think you exist. But does that truely mean you exist? Can you prove to me or I to you otherwise? You can say up and down all day long that you exist. I can meet you in person but you still cant prove to me that you arent a figment of my mind. And visa versa

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
Sure you can say that, physically speaking but you cant prove it metaphysically. Just because you can prove something to your eyes and mind, as a being, doesnt mean thats truely how it is. Its a pretty intense concept to think about.

Your whole argument consists of "You can say that, but it's not always true." You're a one track horse. I refuse to continue a conversation about this if you won't provide intelligent points. Though, I will offer my rebuttal.

There is nothing metaphysical to consider about a stomach. It is an organ in your body that has been observed fulfilling its purpose. You could be talking about the philosophy of a stomach, but that's taking things too far.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Your whole argument consists of "You can say that, but it's not always true." You're a one track horse. I refuse to continue a conversation about this if you won't provide intelligent points. Though, I will offer my rebuttal.

There is nothing metaphysical to consider about a stomach. It is an organ in your body that has been observed fulfilling its purpose. You could be talking about the philosophy of a stomach, but that's taking things too far.

Youre not seeing the whole basis of my arguments. Im not saying one thing is a way or isnt, you are actually doing that. Youre saying something is because you think it because humans made it that way. I live on logic that nothing can ever really be proven, regardless of evidence. Sure, we can use evidence and proof in a mortal or human sense but thats not what im referring to. Humans believe we are the highest intelligence and know all being in existence. Just because weve proved something to ourselves doesnt make it so.

Same as religion, thats what the world believed was to be fact for the longest time. Science is just another means for answers but that doesnt make it true. Sure, its more convincing but that doesnt make it so

And, for the record, im not saying anything isnt always true. Im saying nothing is true or false. Im saying theres no way to actually know if anything is truely or omnipotent-ally factual. Isnt philosophy the foundation of everything? To not include it in any conversation of this sort would be disregarding valid points.

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
Youre not seeing the whole basis of my arguments. Im not saying one thing is a way or isnt, you are actually doing that. Youre saying something is because you think it because humans made it that way. I live on logic that nothing can ever really be proven, regardless of evidence. Sure, we can use evidence and proof in a mortal or human sense but thats not what im referring to. Humans believe we are the highest intelligence and know all being in existence. Just because weve proved something to ourselves doesnt make it so.

Same as religion, thats what the world believed was to be fact for the longest time. Science is just another means for answers but that doesnt make it true. Sure, its more convincing but that doesnt make it so

And, for the record, im not saying anything isnt always true. Im saying nothing is true or false. Im saying theres no way to actually know if anything is truely or omnipotent-ally factual. Isnt philosophy the foundation of everything? To not include it in any conversation of this sort would be disregarding valid points.

So, nothing can be proved? That's a very negative way to view things. Humans are one of the most intelligent life forms that we know of, though we've seriously damaged out environment(that's another issue).

Philosophy is not the foundation of everything. Philosophy is just rational investigation of things(ethics, knowledge, etc.) What you're doing is not really philosophy, it's cynicism.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
So, nothing can be proved? That's a very negative way to view things. Humans are one of the most intelligent life forms that we know of, though we've seriously damaged out environment(that's another issue).

Philosophy is not the foundation of everything. Philosophy is just rational investigation of things(ethics, knowledge, etc.) What you're doing is not really philosophy, it's cynicism.

ALTHOUGH, i am without a doubt a cynic, im not applying it here. Im not saying not knowing is the negative approach. Im saying its really the only true way to look at things when it comes to an overall view.

There are no answers to anything without a why, and even then an answer has a why directed to it right afterward. You can pretend its not there to feel better about the world but its still there. Staring at you in the face, most people just ignore it.

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
ALTHOUGH, i am without a doubt a cynic, im not applying it here. Im not saying not knowing is the negative approach. Im saying its really the only true way to look at things when it comes to an overall view.

There are no answers to anything without a why, and even then an answer has a why directed to it right afterward. You can pretend its not there to feel better about the world but its still there. Staring at you in the face, most people just ignore it.

There may be a "Why?" to everything, but it can most often be rationalized.

Why do humans have a stomach?
We have a stomach to digest food. Otherwise we would have food going through us without having the nutrients taken from them.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart

We have a stomach to digest food. Otherwise we would have food going through us without having the nutrients taken from them.

Why do the nutrients get absorbed in the stomach?

We can do this all day :p

explosions

Why not have something else? Something apple sized that is 10 times faster at digesting?

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
Why do the nutrients get absorbed in the stomach?

We can do this all day :p

They don't. They get absorbed in the intestines. They get absorbed so we can live, simply.

There are answers to most questions. Those that don't have definite answers have theories that can explain them. Humans are intelligent enough to rationalize things to the best of their knowledge.

The things we know may be wrong, but they make more sense than blind faith.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Why not have something else? Something apple sized that is 10 times faster at digesting?

Because that is not possible, currently in humans. Possibly, through years of mutation/evolution, humans could have a stomach like that.