• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

I guess I am a cheater now

Northavn

Hi there,

due to the Microsoft Gamerscore 10k Challenge I searched for some easy achievements the other day. I found two games which have mod support and appropriate mods which unlock all the achievements when you start the game. The guys in Reddit/Youtube said that it is allowed according to the Trueachievements policy - which is actually true. Now I just checked the Exophase policy and had to find out that it is a lot stricter - popping achievements with this mods is not allowed.

So I guess I am a cheater now, right? Or am I misinterpreting this policy? Thing is, that a lot of users on Exophase seemed to used this mods for Surviving Mars and Starbound according to their stats. So I am not quite sure. However, NA-7 of the Unified Achievement Hunting Rules is quite clear about these kind of mods.

Unified Achievement Hunting Rules · AchievementHunting.com

Last edited:

Northavn

I think it is an interesting question if using achievements mods in these two games is illegal according to Exophase policy because of two reasons:

- other tracking sites had this discussion too
- almost every Exophase user who recently tracked achievements for these two games used this mods according to their stats

Last edited:

YouGotHitByGunner

Enforcer
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I don't speak for the owner right now but if it's allowed on TrueAchievements, it should be allowed here as well. Unified Rules is more centered on the Steam community.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The question is fine; your thread was just automatically flagged for potential spam so I had to manually approve it. It happens sometimes, usually due to links in the post. Once you get past a certain minimum of posts it does not do this. We get hit by a lot of spam bots often so the rules are somewhat aggressive, sorry about that.

As Gunner said, if this is not bannable on TA we're not going to ban for it either, despite what the Unified Rules say. I realize that this is confusing though, I'll discuss with others about adding more clarification to the rules.

Very Mild

I guess you could just not allow the use of external mods. so if a game has mod support you wont get banned if you have achievements unlock via the mods that are available on steam or in game browser. I think others will agree that its only really external tools that actually seem like cheating.

SenorMexicano

What would the policy be on external modifications that fixes a game so that a certain achievement(s) is unlockable? Most notable example that comes to mind is modding split screen into Halo 2 Vista to allow for unlocking the multiplayer achievements (MP shut down officially in 2015). TA bans this method yet that doesn’t seem to be a very popular take given the increasing amount of people using it. imo if the game is abandoned/broken then community efforts to fix said game should be welcome.