• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

I have HAD IT with Verizon DSL

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
Is it just me, or is Verizon the most gigantic piece of shit service provider?
I'll start by a simple explanation:
About 6-7 months ago, my mom switched to Verizon DSL from RoadRunner (after she moved houses) while I was away at college.
Now, whenever I'm home (all Summer), download speeds are SHIT (which I would expect from DSL, anyway) and the connection keeps dropping CONSTANTLY.
Finally getting fed up, my mom decided to call them, which took forever because we couldn't get a stable enough connection to even get the number.
When she finally got connected to a real person, she was talking to an outsourced helper who just wasn't understanding what she was saying, and provided no help.

So, instead of waiting on the line after he connected me to another person for help on a Mac, which is not at ALL what we needed, I hung up and decided to go to the help section on their website, which.... was down.
Their goddamned help section online was down. I had to laugh.

So my question to you is:
What are some better ISP providers that you guys would recommend in the US.
I've had it with Verizon, and they don't give a fuck anymore about customer service, if they ever did to begin with.

Adiuvo

If it's available in your area, Comcast. Fantastic speeds, my connection only drops when they do work in the area, free connection upgrades when it's possible, and the customer service is fairly decent if you talk to a manager.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Comcast reigns supreme when it comes to the internet. We downgraded from Comcast last year to DSL to save some money and man...I'm hating every second of it.

Seth

MD Party Room
Same with comcast is my isp and so far no complaints, however I will dump them in a heartbeat for fois.

Nick

i have FIOS. i thought it would be aweomse! and in some cases it is. the internet speed is insane! thats only if you can even connect to the modem :(
i gotta scan at least twice, and my computer is right next to the box! even if im connected via ethernet. and forget about playing online with my ps3! my room is across the hall and the wifi barely reaches. it constantly logs me out at random times. verizon sucks :(

MenaceInc

Staff Member
i have FIOS. i thought it would be aweomse! and in some cases it is. the internet speed is insane! thats only if you can even connect to the modem :(
i gotta scan at least twice, and my computer is right next to the box! even if im connected via ethernet. and forget about playing online with my ps3! my room is across the hall and the wifi barely reaches. it constantly logs me out at random times. verizon sucks :(

that's less so an issue with your connection but more so an issue with your network equipment. Don't blame the ISP, blame the equipment maker. Best fix would to be get a better router.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I have FIOS and I have zero problems. I had verizon DSL for 1 month before I couldn't take it anymore. It reminded me of why I hated DSL in the first place.

If you can't go back to roadrunner, I would suggest trying FIOS. Those are the only two ISPs I can suggest because they're the only two I ever used and didn't hate.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I've had Cabelvision/Optimum Online for the past five years and have no complaints. They might be only available in the tri-state area though.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I've had Time Warner, Comcast, Adelphia, Charter, and various local things, but thus far either comcast or time warner (roadrunner) has been the best. Just depends on location.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've had Cabelvision/Optimum Online for the past five years and have no complaints. They might be only available in the tri-state area though.
Been meaning to look into them but I never heard much about them so it hasn't been a priority for me. My Dad wants to upgrade if the price is right so I've been investigating our various options.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
If charter is available don't indulge yourself, If Comcast was in my area i'd gladly take them over Charter which has managed to irritate the hell out of me the last 3 years.

If you are even a tiny , tiny tiny bit late on your bill they shut it off, not to mention the modem crashes constantly and ends up with DNS errors that are as moody as a woman on her period

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
My friend has FIOS in the city, and he said he really enjoys it, it's super fast.
Time Warner took over Aldephia a few years ago in my town, and I immediately noticed the increase in speed, even though Aldelphia was still pretty good.

However, price is an issue with internet at home. I live in a small town in the Adirondacks, so we're still not up to par with internet services.
Hopefully my mom will get fed up enough to switch back to Road Runner, and I think she's getting there.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
I don't know why so many people are lauding Comcast. It was shitty service provider with even shittier customer service. I don't appreciate my internet randomly cutting out, and I REALLY don't appreciate my torrents being noticeably throttled. I don't appreciate waiting an hour before talking to a human being. That's Comcast.

FIOS has been fast, and once I hooked up a decent router (like was stated before, the included one is an absolute piece of shit), I haven't had a problem since. I don't know how good/bad their customer service is simply because I haven't had to use it, which is definitely a good thing.

Just wanted to say that, I know it's a little off-topic but :p

Robby

Los Doyers!
I've had charter for over 5 years and no complaints. Only had maybe 1 day of downtime when they were doing upgrades in my area. My connection is good as I am the one that usually hosts matches or when playing in MW2 I am usually the host.

Seth

MD Party Room
I don't know why so many people are lauding Comcast. It was shitty service provider with even shittier customer service. I don't appreciate my internet randomly cutting out, and I REALLY don't appreciate my torrents being noticeably throttled. I don't appreciate waiting an hour before talking to a human being. That's Comcast.

FIOS has been fast, and once I hooked up a decent router (like was stated before, the included one is an absolute piece of shit), I haven't had a problem since. I don't know how good/bad their customer service is simply because I haven't had to use it, which is definitely a good thing.

Just wanted to say that, I know it's a little off-topic but :p

Only because it's better that ATT DSL, the only other ISP in my area. It like asking you what this old exprided food or you the MCRIB they both suck but if asked what you will get most people will go with the MCRIB.

Ever since the lawsuits I havent noticed any throttled.

Adiuvo

Yeah, Comcast hasn't throttled anything since the FCC got involved, and with the FCC claiming management over network services, it's likely to stay that way.