• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Install Custom XMB Themes Without Flashing

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Note: This guide is outdated. If you wish to install custom made themes on 3.71 M33 and above, refer to Acerthief's CXMB install guide.

screen122.jpg

09/03/07 - Guide updated with the latest CXMB v2.31

Note: Theme included in the archive only works on 3.52 M33. If you're running 3.40 OE, then replace it with a theme compatible with 3.40 OE.

Thanks to Poisonhzkj, installing custom XMB themes without the need of flashing is now possible via use of an custom firmware plugin. This plugin will work with most recent custom firmwares (3.40 OE to 3.52 M33).

So, here's a guide on how install custom themes. Without flashing, of course.

1. First download the CXMB v2.31 files. Extract the archive, then copy the "cxmb" folder to your memory stick drive (e.g. X).

2. Enter the "seplugins" folder on your memory stick. If it does not exist create it.

3. Inside seplugins, there should be a file called "vsh.txt" If not then create the file.

4. Open up vsh.txt and append the following line of text: ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx

5. Boot up your PSP in recovery mode (hold R for about 10 secs after flicking the power switch).

6. In Recovery Mode, navigate to the Plugins section, and enable cxmb.prx.

7. Exit recovery mode.

8. That's it! You're done! Your PSP will not boot up with a different theme, but now, you're probably already wondering how to get different themes on your PSP. It is very easy.

Installing new themes

1. Navigate to the cxmb folder on your memory stick (X:/cxmb).

2. There, you'll see two folders, namely font and vsh. Simply replace all files in the respective folders with your new theme's contents.

3. If the theme contains a "nodule" folder, rename it to "module"

4. Decompress all PRX files in the module folder using PRX compressor.

5. And, that's it! You've now installed a new theme. Remember, if the screen is white with no icons you need to go into theme settings and select a different background.

Attachments

• prxcompressor.zip
    335.9 KB · Views: 1,680

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Question- Where is a good place to find themes? Also, you say that you just extract it to the root directory of the memstick, but then you say the TM folder should be in seplugins, which it is not defaultly in by just extracting it. I think in the 'Installing new themes' part you meant to just put (X:/TM) because that's where vsh.txt defaultly points to, which is also where it defaultly extracts to. Just thought I'd give some clarification.

EDIT: Also, this doesn't work on anything less than 3.40OE-A, I believe, because I'm using 3.30OE-A and the XMB never boots, though I bricked for a sec, *phew*, but obviously it just isn't compatible with the XMB of 3.30.

EDIT2: Actually, after I disabled the plugin it booted the XMB, but it has a weird/cool font. Nothin' else, no icons or anything, is different. *shrugs*

EDIT3: Scary. I just decided to update to 3.40OE-A, I figured I might as well. I did it, and when it came back the font was the same, still weird and cool, but obviously different than the default. I decided to get rid of the plugin, I erased it in the game.txt and vsh.txt, and erased the TM folder. When it tried to boot to the XMB after the recovery menu, a blue screen that had the same message in every language under the sun came up: "The settings have been changed. Press O to revert settings." I pressed O, and a few seconds later the screen went black, and I waited for about a minute, so I turned it off. When it came back on I had to go through the Initial Setup you do when you first get your PSP, which is aggrevating, but everything is good again. So it may have been the fact that I flashed a new firmware while I had the plugin or something, but it all scared me.

Pantysniffer

Unless there are some kick-ass themes floating around on the interwebs, I really don't see much point in changing. All I've done is changed the colour to blue, from violet, to match my PSP. The standard what-looks-like-the-toroidal-plasma-inside-the-JET-reactor is already awesome.
That's not to say this isn't a good and useful topic - it clearly is - just saying that I, for one, really love the original theme.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FWedl1k_Zz8

Krelian

Colorful solutions and more!

Question- Where is a good place to find themes?
There is EvolveXMB which is small but nice and the human refuse dump QJ had a nice big pack available for 3.30 and 3.40.
Unless there are some kick-ass themes floating around on the interwebs, I really don't see much point in changing... just saying that I, for one, really love the original theme.
I completely agree! However I do really hate it when people use unrelated logos for icons (like QuickTime for Video or Firefox for Network/Internet Browser).
You know what? It's NOT QuickTime and the browser ISN'T Firefox have some respect and creativity, you may like those things BUT THEY'RE NOT ON THE PSP!
Okay enough rant... sorry.
On a more related note: How do you change "the standard what-looks-like-the-toroidal-plasma-inside-the-JET-reactor" color to say... shades of black?

Pantysniffer

Those themes at QJ.net are kind of cool, but still none of them would really make me want to change.
No idea how you get black standard theme - doesn't seem to be an option.

TimTiger

Way to addicted to games.
This is very cool. I used it a bit and decided since there isnt really a theme that appeals to me at this time I'll stick with what I got. but I will defiantly keep my eye out for a theme that does appeal to me.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Question- Where is a good place to find themes? Also, you say that you just extract it to the root directory of the memstick, but then you say the TM folder should be in seplugins, which it is not defaultly in by just extracting it. I think in the 'Installing new themes' part you meant to just put (X:/TM) because that's where vsh.txt defaultly points to, which is also where it defaultly extracts to. Just thought I'd give some clarification.

EDIT: Also, this doesn't work on anything less than 3.40OE-A, I believe, because I'm using 3.30OE-A and the XMB never boots, though I bricked for a sec, *phew*, but obviously it just isn't compatible with the XMB of 3.30.

EDIT2: Actually, after I disabled the plugin it booted the XMB, but it has a weird/cool font. Nothin' else, no icons or anything, is different. *shrugs*

EDIT3: Scary. I just decided to update to 3.40OE-A, I figured I might as well. I did it, and when it came back the font was the same, still weird and cool, but obviously different than the default. I decided to get rid of the plugin, I erased it in the game.txt and vsh.txt, and erased the TM folder. When it tried to boot to the XMB after the recovery menu, a blue screen that had the same message in every language under the sun came up: "The settings have been changed. Press O to revert settings." I pressed O, and a few seconds later the screen went black, and I waited for about a minute, so I turned it off. When it came back on I had to go through the Initial Setup you do when you first get your PSP, which is aggrevating, but everything is good again. So it may have been the fact that I flashed a new firmware while I had the plugin or something, but it all scared me.

Hmm I guess it is not compatible with later OE's then. Wasn't sure, cause Poison's blog implied that it worked for all.

Cheezeball99

Hmm I guess it is not compatible with later OE's then. Wasn't sure, cause Poison's blog implied that it worked for all.

It's cool, man, no harm, no foul.:thumbup:

alfie_wrex

ACK! i uninstalled the plugin and had to reboot and press O just like cheezeball, but now my default accept button is O not X and its buggin the crap outta me. ive looked but i dont know how to change it back

Cheezeball99

ACK! i uninstalled the plugin and had to reboot and press O just like cheezeball, but now my default accept button is O not X and its buggin the crap outta me. ive looked but i dont know how to change it back

Yea, it's a bummer, eh, man?

For the default button, just go into the Recovery menu and go to 'Registry Hacks'. You can change it there.

KAV32

Man this RULES!!!!:laugh: I always wanted to do this but I was scared to flash my PSP! heh... :blushing:

karasuman

This is fantastic!

The only problem I'm having is with fonts. As soon as I loaded this, without adding a theme or anything, my font changed, and I can't figure out how to change it back...or how to change it at all. The package Krelian linked to from QJ.net has some fonts in it, but there seems to be only one file per font, whereas the font folder holds a few dozen. Any advice?

Cheezeball99

Well, that one file is the font in the XMB, the other font files are, like, ones in the menus and stuff.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
This is fantastic!

The only problem I'm having is with fonts. As soon as I loaded this, without adding a theme or anything, my font changed, and I can't figure out how to change it back...or how to change it at all. The package Krelian linked to from QJ.net has some fonts in it, but there seems to be only one file per font, whereas the font folder holds a few dozen. Any advice?

wait, when you enable the plugin it already has a theme included ... so that's normal the fonts changed. If you disable the plugin fonts and theme go back to normal.

I don't think other themes have to have the same amount of files, just replace what is there.

King-Wade

I need help with this tutorial... I downloaded a couple of XMB themes off http://evolvexmb.com/Main/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=1...and everytime i installed a theme and exited recovery mode my psp would go on and it would only show the battery sign at the top right corner...and a blank screen..and then it would restart..and i also tried the tutorial with flashing for that theme and it didnt work...and ideas?

and how do we know if the XMB theme we downloaded needs flashing or not?

Jaynb

Hi,

I've been playing around with this for 2 days now, but I can't seem to change the font!

Even when I first installed the plugin and enabled it, the background and icons etc. all changed but the font remained the same default one! I tried putting other fonts in, changing the whole theme, deleting the plugin, re-downloading the pluging, downloading v1.2!

None of these things have made the font change! everything else works/changes but the font!

Does my PSP have some sort of "font immunity"!!!

P.S.
And Yes! before anyone asks, i am putting the fonts in the font file and they are named ltn0.pgf! :smile:

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well I think we really need a thing which tell you exactly what each rco file does.
ie- topmenu-plugin = the icons
I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting a little tired of the trial and error way of changing all my menus. It would be nice to know exactly which file does what for easy and ultimate customization of the xmb.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Hi,

I've been playing around with this for 2 days now, but I can't seem to change the font!

Even when I first installed the plugin and enabled it, the background and icons etc. all changed but the font remained the same default one! I tried putting other fonts in, changing the whole theme, deleting the plugin, re-downloading the pluging, downloading v1.2!

None of these things have made the font change! everything else works/changes but the font!

Does my PSP have some sort of "font immunity"!!!

P.S.
And Yes! before anyone asks, i am putting the fonts in the font file and they are named ltn0.pgf! :smile:

Is there only one file in the font folder or do you have a whole bunch. I think the other ones are required. so just take the font folder from another menu and replace the file you talked about with the one from the font which you want. I've done it and it works everytime.

P.S. sry for double post