• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Installing Windows 7 On A Netbook

Dan

Contributor
I skipped installing Vista on this because I heard it wasn't very 'friendly'. I hear 7 is a lot more.. friendly.

How would I go about installing this, USB? And what steps should I take?

EDIT: I came across this guide for installing RC, would it be the same for Windows 7 Ultimate? It says I need 1GB RAM minimum, but I only have 0.99GB. Halp?

eldiablov

Contributor
The RAM thing is not something you should worry about xD

I mounted the ISO virtually and installed it. Dunno if it works outside of the RC though :\

Dan

Contributor
Yeah, I was thinking of getting RC, as the one I started downloading was 5.21GB, fuck that.

Is there anyway to disable the restart loop? And what does RC not have that the final product does?

James.

User Not Found
Yeah, I was thinking of getting RC, as the one I started downloading was 5.21GB, fuck that.

Is there anyway to disable the restart loop? And what does RC not have that the final product does?
The RC expires in march...
Installing to a usb for the rc is almost exactly the same as the rtm

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Follow Method 6 here...

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

It requires NO extra tools, just a few commands in the Command Prompt.

As for moving files from the ISO to the pendrive, I'd recommend opening the archive using 7zip then copying them to a folder on your desktop first.

Really easy and simple.

Also, 5 odd gig sounds a bit much unless it contains both the x86 and the x64 builds...obviously, x86 would be applicable for a netbook.

I installed Windows 7 on my MSI Wind clone (Advent 4211) 2 days ago and it runs beautifully. :D

Dan

Contributor
Follow Method 6 here...

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

It requires NO extra tools, just a few commands in the Command Prompt.

As for moving files from the ISO to the pendrive, I'd recommend opening the archive using 7zip then copying them to a folder on your desktop first.

Really easy and simple.

Also, 5 odd gig sounds a bit much unless it contains both the x86 and the x64 builds...obviously, x86 would be applicable for a netbook.

I installed Windows 7 on my MSI Wind clone (Advent 4211) 2 days ago and it runs beautifully. :D

Ah, just realised I'm downloading both Dx I was planning on x86 anyways.

I have the Advent 4211 aswell, haha.

Hellcat

Contributor
I am running Win7 Ultimate on my NetBook myself, woth 1.6GHz Atom and 1G RAM (minus what the GPU takes) and all I can say is "It runns smooooooothly" :)

I also have one copy installed in a VM with only 512MB RAM and it still works, so no worrying about RAM here :)

I also sucessfully installed it off a USB pendrive (partitioned/formatted and simply copied the disc content on to it), worked on first attempt, way better than when trying to do the same with XP.

Only small downside on the NetBook: Can't use the MS "XP Mode" thing as the CPU does not support HW virtualisition blah bleh.
So I'll just use VMWare instead, hoping that VMWare 7 fixed to bug where the VM freezes on heavy network traffic....

Dan

Contributor
I'm glad to hear you guys got it working, smoothly that is.

Hellcat, do you have a guide or anything to help me do it? I've never done anything like this before.

Do I burn an image with Nero... or something?

Adiuvo

I'm glad this works on a netbook as well. Ubuntu was getting annoying.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'm glad to hear you guys got it working, smoothly that is.

Hellcat, do you have a guide or anything to help me do it? I've never done anything like this before.

Do I burn an image with Nero... or something?

naaaaah, just open the iso with 7zip and extract the files to the USB stick AFTER it's been partitioned proper.
You can apparently use this tool to do the partitioning...I haven't used it though.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23839&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Dan

Contributor
Being an absolute cleft in this department, I came across WinToFlash, which saves me from doing all that HP Disk Boot shizzle.

So, the steps I do would be...?
1. Extract the ISO image with 7zip (WinRAR?)
2. [STRIKE]Partition the drive[/STRIKE]

3. WinToFlash - Set location for installation files - C:\Documents and Settings\Dan Fisher\My Documents\Win7
4. Set location for installation - E://
5. Wait.

6. Install 7 on Netbook.

Amirite?

Hellcat

Contributor
I have no clue about "WinToFlash", what it does and how.... but basically this correct, yah :)

Dan

Contributor
Hm, I have a question though. When I boot up my netbook, I get a dual boot screen: Windows XP or Tech Guys Recovery. If I install 7, will if delete/affect Tech Guys Recovery in any way?

(BTW, Tech Guys is in case Window's won't boot up, so it does a clean install).

Oh, also, how would I go about drivers?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Hm, I have a question though. When I boot up my netbook, I get a dual boot screen: Windows XP or Tech Guys Recovery. If I install 7, will if delete/affect Tech Guys Recovery in any way?

(BTW, Tech Guys is in case Window's won't boot up, so it does a clean install).

Oh, also, how would I go about drivers?

assuming what you have now is a windows bootloader, you wont have a problem.

Hellcat

Contributor
The Win setup (of any version) gives you options to completely kill all and everything on the HDD, but if you're carefull what you do and only let it touch the (ex)XP partition all should be fine.

About drivers, you'd need to check the homepage of the company that build your NetBook.

Esp. on NetBooks shipped with XP you're likely not to find Vista/7 drivers as they are equipped with a "XP for low cost PCs" license and as OEMs can get those for a very small price from MS, MS does not want anything else on the books and resticts drivers for other Wins.

But that said, it's no problem though :p
I have my Win7 running with a mix of XP and Vista drivers taken from other notbooks that had same components build in :D

Everything runns 1a fine.

Dan

Contributor
Ahhh. I googled 7 drivers and I ended up finding that 7 is built from Vista, so it'll support most Vista drivers. Luckily for me, my netbook came with the Vista drivers.

I'm reet happy now :D

Hellcat

Contributor
*lol* yeah, if you got Vista drivers for your NetBook, you're set :D
Vista drivers work 99% flawless on Win7.

And BTW: you're welcome :D

//EDIT:

too late :argh:

Dan

Contributor
Right, I finished 'ripping' it from the CD and the ISO file is now on my Netbook, as well as the stuff I extracted from it.

There is a setup.exe there though, can I not just launch from that?
qxqkb6.jpg

I suck at computers :(

I may as well record what I'm doing and put it on the channel xD