• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Introducing Bertha

Adiuvo

I built it around two or three weeks ago but just got around to making my final overclocks (at least until I go under water) so I figured now would be a good time to post pictures. The computer (Bertha) came out well, but I'm disappointed about the cable management. The case I used is otherwise excellent but the only things they did to help management was to include three tie downs and room behind the hardrive cage. As you can see, it doesn't work all that well.

Specs:
i7 950 @ 4.00ghz. Overclocking was an amazing learning experience. Here's the validation too. VCore is at 1.235 which I still need to find a minimum for.
XFX Radeon 4890.
Kingston HyperX 6GB RAM.
Gigabyte X58-USB3 motherboard.
Corsair HX850 PSU
Corsair A70 HSF
Thermaltake Armor A90 case.
2x WD 7200RPM hardrives.
Plantronics 955 headset.
Logitech MX518 mouse.

Temps:
CPU- 40C with an ambient of 28C on idle. ~60C under normal load, ~72C with Intel Burn Test.
GPU- 40C idle, ~60 under normal load, ~75 with Furmark.

Pictures:
DSCN1798.JPG

DSCN1793.JPG

DSCN1795.JPG

DSCN1796.JPG

My next change will be to replace the GPU, and after that to replace the case with a Corsair 800D and setup water cooling for the CPU and GPU. I'm hoping to get that done by summer of next year, though that depends on tuition costs.

Spiros

Maiki
Wow, that's a beast man. I'm jealous. You've gone quite a bit over the 3.06 GHz clock speed and it's still stable at 4GHz? Also, any reasoning behind the name Bertha?

Adiuvo

Thanks :) It passed Intel Burn Test for about four hours so I'd say it's stable. As for the name, there isn't any significance. Just when looking at it that's the first thing that comes to mind, which I'm guessing is due to me going from a mini-ATX sized case to a normal sized one. Y'know, Big Bertha and all.

Going back to stability, I plan on running it overnight today with Prime95, so I suppose that'll be the real test. Since Intel Burn Test is more intensive than Prime it shouldn't cause any issues.

Dan

Contributor
I thought you had a new girlfriend or something. Guess I was half right.

Very sexy anyway.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Nice build. i7s are a beast at overclocking.

Moose

Meta Moose
What can I say... I'm VERY jealous. xD $750 doesn't sound so bad, what parts did you re-use?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I would be tempted to do a big upgrade but I'm certain that any parts that I reuse would bottleneck the new system. Feel that I've gotten a nice balance with my current system where the CPU isn't bottlenecking my graphics card anymore and vice versa. Slowest component is my Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HD :\

Adiuvo

What can I say... I'm VERY jealous. xD $750 doesn't sound so bad, what parts did you re-use?

My GPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and hardrive. I'll be sticking with the monitor for the far future as well as the mouse, but the keyboard is definitely getting replaced soon. I also kind of want an SSD, but since I do mainly gaming I can't see it helping that much. Most of the games I play either have no load times short of one initial one or aren't effected by a SSD (like TF2).

Looking back, maybe 'a few' was an understatement xD. I did replace just about everything important though!

LocutusEstBorg

There is no way it will sustain 4.0GHz at that voltage for more than a few months. As it degrades during the burn in-period it will become unstable. Either lower the clock speed at the same voltage or keep upping the voltage to keep it stable until it stops degrading. My 9450 took around 6 months to stop degrading and stabalize (luckily at the maximum Intel VID).

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I also kind of want an SSD, but since I do mainly gaming I can't see it helping that much. Most of the games I play either have no load times short of one initial one or aren't effected by a SSD (like TF2).

Get an SSD. It's the single biggest performance improving thing you can do for your PC. Much more noticable than buying a new GPU or CPU. Windows will be so fast, you'll feel like you're using an iPhone. Don't bother about game loading times. Just use it for Windows and Adobe/Office/iTunes and other bloated stuff.

The trick is to reinstall Windows, and for every software you install think whether it will have any startup components (even a system tray icon) or services etc. If it does then it goes on the SSD.

When I use it with Auto Logon & Lock, it's COMPLETELY booted before I've even finished typing my password.

angelsniper45

Im jeolous. Ive got a toshiba laptop at the moment and I doubt I will get or build a desktop for at least a few years. I got nowheres to put it >.<

Seth

MD Party Room
Pretty much in the same boat as everyone else im super jeolous. I kinda waiting to see what intel has to show at CES maybe the Sandy Bridge CPU. Also 4 GHZ is just to powerful man, what do you even need that much power for?

Adiuvo

Modded Oblivion makes use of it. Besides that I gained a few frames in BC2. I don't really need it, just wanted to do it. Temps aren't that much of a concern to me with my A70, and my Noctua NH-D14 comes in this Friday or next week and that'll only lower them more.

Seth

MD Party Room
You spent a 90 bucks on a CPU Cooler ?

Adiuvo

You spent a 90 bucks on a CPU Cooler ?

Eh. I like quality >_>

I also decided against the Corsair 800D and water cooling which freed up around $500 I previously had budgeted. The degrees saved in temps weren't worth it with regards to the cost and instead I put that money towards making the rig silent. I ordered all Noctua case fans and with their ULNA adapters it shouldn't be over 25DBs. If that's too loud (which I doubt it would be) then I'll just hook it up to a fan controller. The placing of Noctua fans as 'the best' seems to be pretty scattered though. Some people say they are, others say Nexus fans, and a few also say Scythe S-Flex fans. Then again I have a few Scythe S-Flex fans connected to another computer and while they are quiet, they have some strange harmonic tone at certain angles which is worse than flat-out noise.

Looking at those pictures again I just realized I put the A70 upside down :w00t:

Hardrive

Contributor
Get an SSD. It's the single biggest performance improving thing you can do for your PC. Much more noticable than buying a new GPU or CPU. Windows will be so fast, you'll feel like you're using an iPhone. Don't bother about game loading times. Just use it for Windows and Adobe/Office/iTunes and other bloated stuff.
This. I got an SSD and I love it. Sure, it doesn't help you get better FPS in games or anything, but it makes your entire computer snappier and more responsive.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
What MHz is the RAM running at?
I'm looking to upgrade my PC and am currently looking at the exact same Motherboard and CPU (so would appreciate help OCing to 4GHz if I do :p)