• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Introducing Bertha

Adiuvo

It's around 1456. At my bclock upping the multiplier would put it over the 1600mhz specification for the RAM I have and I didn't want to do that.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
It's around 1456. At my bclock upping the multiplier would put it over the 1600mhz specification for the RAM I have and I didn't want to do that.

Ah OK, so you bought RAM with a 1600MHz specification. Looks like that would be sensible for me to do too then.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Another quick question, what are the timings of your RAM? I'm not sure how good timings I need...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Another quick question, what are the timings of your RAM? I'm not sure how good timings I need...

You won't get a noticeable improvement with lower RAM timings so it's not worth paying extra for slightly lower ones. Not unless you're going to be running a lot of synthetic benchmarks and even then the improvements would be in the single digit percentage range.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Awesome.
I might end up with the exact same Motherboard, CPU and RAM as Adiuvo. And I have a 4850, so our PCs will be virtually identical :p

Adiuvo

Awesome.
I might end up with the exact same Motherboard, CPU and RAM as Adiuvo. And I have a 4850, so our PCs will be virtually identical :p

Just don't get the same case, that'll be a little creepy >_>

Anyone know how well the 4800 series scales in Crossfire? 4890s are roughly $100 on Ebay and I'm thinking about buying another.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Just don't get the same case, that'll be a little creepy >_>

Anyone know how well the 4800 series scales in Crossfire? 4890s are roughly $100 on Ebay and I'm thinking about buying another.

Haha, I already have a case (though it's pretty shocking :p)

How does crossfire actually work...? I have 2 graphics card at the moment, a 4850 and a 4350, and they're both running but I don't think they're in crossfire...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I do not recommend crossfire. I would save up for a 6950 instead. It'll give you the same effective performance without any scaling issues. There's also the added benefit of DX11.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Cooler Master's HAF series has some amazing Cable management options.
I recently upgraded my brother's PC for him and installed it all in a HAF 912 and the routing was very awesome. I look at it in awe sometimes.

On a more related note, I purchased a HAF 922 for myself and I've got about 800-950$ worth of parts sitting next to me right now waiting for my damned Mobo to arrive. I wish I hadn't lost my job though, because then i'd be able to buy an aftermarket Cooler for my i7950. And a GPU,(I have to install the old 640MB 8800GTS from my brother's rig for the time being)

Adiuvo

Got my new parts two days ago.

9621c796d6ffa6e7b2d7f10cbcf83e451322afcc.JPG

2c06bee5081465cd9959660cc65309c45be29da5.JPG

10509b7f7e5de388da3815c21fc5c18237f7c099.JPG

Cold cathodes have way too many wires though you can't see them when the case is closed. I still need to tie down that rogue power cable between the optical drive and the hardrive, but otherwise cable management is much better than it was. Everything is quieter too but the NH-D14 is no where near it's claimed decibel waiting, even with the ULNA adapters.

LocutusEstBorg

I want an aesthetic looking case, but my Antec Titan 650 is probably the first & last expensive case I'll ever buy. I've used it for the past 5 or so years. The thing is so massive and horizontally spacious that every other case feels extremely cramped and hard to work in and the good looks simply don't warrant switching.