• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Introducing points system (EXP) and cross platform leaderboards

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.23.35 AM.png

Today we're introducing two new oft-requested features to the site: a rarity-based points system and cross-platform leaderboards! The points system, called EXP, is calculated from the rarity of each achievement. To maintain consistency across platforms, we've given each achievement a base value of 10, which is then multiplied by the square root of total players divided by earners. Less players having earned the achievement will translate to a higher EXP value.

Certain games, such as those with a large amount of achievements (>1000) are currently not counted in this new system. We are open to making exceptions, but the aim
is to avoid counting games that are typically only played to boost stats. This mostly only affects the Steam platform.

Alongside this update, we're also rolling out a new cross-platform leaderboard. The current leaderboards will stay as they are for now, but this new leaderboard ranks users according to their earned EXP value across all platforms. You can access the leaderboard by clicking the main Leaderboard tab or visiting this URL: https://www.exophase.com/leaderboard/

By default, the ranking covers all platforms on the site, but you can also filter down the platform selection if you'd like to compare your earned points on certain platforms
only. For example, filtering by PSN and Xbox will only include those platforms in the ranking and points calculation. This way, you can narrow down the ranking to only the platforms that you play on.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.22.46 AM.png

Ensuring that DLC achievements were counted properly under the new points system required some updates to how we treat the rarity metric. For PSN and Xbox - the EXP value for DLC achievements is calculated separately from the base game. However, the other platform APIs do not provide information on which achievements are tied to DLC packs. We're working on a solution for this, however it might require some input from the community to mark certain achievements as DLC. We'll provide an update soon on that.

Also at the moment, all EXP values on the site will every 24 hours. The profile pages themselves also now show the EXP value, a ranking display will be added there soon and on the gamercards as well.

Post here if you notice any issues or have any suggestions!

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I like it, but please, remove (or reduce) points of Google Play Games, the system is totally broken with all XP Booster.

Agreed, I'll get the XP boosting games excluded in the next calculation.

yendihunt

Out of curiosity, and just for fun, would this new XP/rarity-based system translate to other gaming-related achievements such as Runescape (Public Hiscores) or even MOBAs that have public rankings? (I'm thinking dotabuff or champion.gg)

It's probably a super shot in the dark, but that would be interesting to see.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Out of curiosity, and just for fun, would this new XP/rarity-based system translate to other gaming-related achievements such as Runescape (Public Hiscores) or even MOBAs that have public rankings? (I'm thinking dotabuff or champion.gg)

It's probably a super shot in the dark, but that would be interesting to see.

Any future platforms we add that have regular achievements will work with the EXP system. Seems it would be difficult to tie in high scores and such though. I'll think about it, but I feel keeping it based off a consistent metric (rarity) makes sense.

Almondiga14 is cheater. I know he doesn't own these accounts! Hakoom, Stallion83 and Skaery aren't same person!

Removed now. I think I will add a report option if you suspect someone is using accounts they don't own.

Windhauch

Don't know if it's yet known. But the new cross-platform leaderboard is not linked here in the forum navigation on top (under the "Leaderboards"-dropdown menu).

Nothing big, though... ;)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Question: should we make all the standalone platform leaderboards ranked by EXP as well?

I added a poll to this thread to get some input. You'd still be able to sort them by platform points or achievements, but EXP would be the default.

CoVarZz

I mean if the other options are still avaible then it should be fine

Thats OK. The only thing i want to see is a fix for google play , because XP boost is free points and have nothing to do with gaming. That way i think a true leaderboard is needed without these games and the top 100 would be alot of other Players.

Skumblex

Question: should we make all the standalone platform leaderboards ranked by EXP as well?

I added a poll to this thread to get some input. You'd still be able to sort them by platform points or achievements, but EXP would be the default.

I checked the leaderboards, and for PSN and Xbox Live, this would not change the individual positions by much. However, it would drastically influence the Google Play leaderboards, since there are so many XP Booster games out there. Therefore, using the EXP system as the default way of ranking the leaderboards seem reasonable. Leaderboards without boosters would remain mostly unchanged, and the ones that include a lot of booster games would afterwards better represent the skills of the individual players.

NoahG59

I don’t exactly understand how Exp is calculated.

(0.01%). The square root of 0.01 is 0.10, multiplied by 10 is 1. This means a nearly unobtainable Achievement gives just 1 point?

(25%) Square root of 25 is 5, multiplied by 10 is 50. So an achievement with 25% gives 50 points while a much rarer one gives less?

Please explain what I’m doing wrong, cause I don’t understand how this is skill based if rare achievements are worth less.

CoVarZz

I don’t exactly understand how Exp is calculated.

(0.01%). The square root of 0.01 is 0.10, multiplied by 10 is 1. This means a nearly unobtainable Achievement gives just 1 point?

(25%) Square root of 25 is 5, multiplied by 10 is 50. So an achievement with 25% gives 50 points while a much rarer one gives less?

Please explain what I’m doing wrong, cause I don’t understand how this is skill based if rare achievements are worth less.

Welk i also don't understand becausr i have rare games on google play but it gives me nearly nothing in exp. While i taken a look that games with lots of Players gives many exp for the whole game. I think it should be different.

Also i can be wrong.